Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 161 Posts

·
Premium Member
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well after a lot of thought, and time I have backed off the plan to convert my SSR into a woody wagon. I just wasn't convinced the top could be done at a quality level needed. Wind noise leaks, water leaks and overall strength were the biggest concerns. I still like the design I came up with but I also like driving a convertible. But I haven't gone away from the wood idea, which is what started the whole idea. Below are pics of the wagon design, the new design for the wood sides and examples of the wood possibilities. Lighter color for the framing and dark for the panels. The build should be complete sometime this summer.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,793 Posts
Hate to hear you are giving it a rest. I still think using the tonneau cover incorporated into the top would be doable.

Dane

·
Proud Original Owner
18,187 Posts
Sorry the top is not going to happen. I know it would be a bunch of work to make it and have it fit & seal tight.
However, your wood design for the sides & back of your SSR looks promising.
Will still be a one-of-a-kind!

·
Premium Member
'06 FPR Smokin Asphalt; '04 Ulta Violet
4,496 Posts
Personally--I like the Wood pattern in the first 2 pictures even without the top!! Looks more True to Woodie!!!
NICK

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
ONLY Time and money..................witch I'm running out of both? Will leave mine mostly as Gm made it and watch projects like this with interest..........BIRD.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
SSR3 that black R looks nice was that material made out of vinyl, if so they did a great job.

Stepchild were you going to make the wood looking top removable like GM did with the 1970's Blazers, I used to remove mine and run around in it all the time. Like your ideas and plans either way it will great.

·
Premium Member
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The painted on wood on the black one was VERY well done... had to look hard to see if it was real wood or not. Thanks for posting those, maybe someday I will see it somewhere. The plan was to have the top removeable, another reason it would be difficult to do right.

·
RedHotSSR
605 Posts
04 In Louisiana

Triple WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! This is to date the best accent painting I have seen on a R. The Blk R with the dark wood looks so natural and complements the lines of the R perfectly. Wow great idea. Thanks for sharing.

"Long may we ALL run":smile2:

·
RASTA WOODIE
14 Posts
woody

I took these pictures Oct 14, 2006.
i just saw your pics of your woody. beautiful!! i am wanting to make my 2003 into a woody, using a different pattern than yours. i have a great woodworker, but he has no experience with affixing wood onto vehcles.

we would appreciate any ideas & help that you could push my way.

thank you
larry godhelff (absorbine)
louisville, ky
2003 red ssr
[email protected]

·
RASTA WOODIE
14 Posts
woody

Well after a lot of thought, and time I have backed off the plan to convert my SSR into a woody wagon. I just wasn't convinced the top could be done at a quality level needed. Wind noise leaks, water leaks and overall strength were the biggest concerns. I still like the design I came up with but I also like driving a convertible. But I haven't gone away from the wood idea, which is what started the whole idea. Below are pics of the wagon design, the new design for the wood sides and examples of the wood possibilities. Lighter color for the framing and dark for the panels. The build should be complete sometime this summer.
i see that you were planning on building a woody.

i, too, are very interested about this possibility. presently, i have a great woodworker at my disposal, but he has no experience with adding wood to vehicles.

i could use your input with what type(s) of wood you would use, & how you were going to affix it onto the truc.

thanks
ab

·
Premium Member
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I recently found a different builder for the project, the first one had issues with time and his shop. Turns out to be for the best though because the builder I am going with now has been doing this type of work for 40 years and has done several of the veneer type jobs the SSR will get. He even did the original concept of the PT Cruiser for Chrysler in wood, not the fake production model they sold. Doug Carr with WoodnCarr has agreed to do the project now and I drop the car off next week... last part of April. Should pick it up by mid summer. He will bolt or screw the frame work on top of the panels which will glue to the car body. Varnishing on the 30 or so coats of finish will be a major part of the job he says. Since I'm going with a smaller size wood panel I can get away with a little more ornate wood grain than I would have done with full side panels. Birdseye maple, Hawaiian Koa, bubinga and a few others are now being considered. I'm going to follow Dougs lead on this decision because of his experience. He's also doing a wood truck bed to look like the trucks from the past. Looking forward to seeing this done and getting started with the lowering, wheels, stereo and running boards etc.

·
RED SLED
439 Posts
That's a cool design, although I would have gone with a slightly darker wood color and full wood grain. It appears to be a cream color on the sides.

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
I recently found a different builder for the project, the first one had issues with time and his shop. Turns out to be for the best though because the builder I am going with now has been doing this type of work for 40 years and has done several of the veneer type jobs the SSR will get. He even did the original concept of the PT Cruiser for Chrysler in wood, not the fake production model they sold. Doug Carr with WoodnCarr has agreed to do the project now and I drop the car off next week... last part of April. Should pick it up by mid summer. He will bolt or screw the frame work on top of the panels which will glue to the car body. Varnishing on the 30 or so coats of finish will be a major part of the job he says. Since I'm going with a smaller size wood panel I can get away with a little more ornate wood grain than I would have done with full side panels. Birdseye maple, Hawaiian Koa, bubinga and a few others are now being considered. I'm going to follow Dougs lead on this decision because of his experience. He's also doing a wood truck bed to look like the trucks from the past. Looking forward to seeing this done and getting started with the lowering, wheels, stereo and running boards etc.
ought to turn out great! Doug Carr does great work

1 - 20 of 161 Posts