Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I spoke with HRP and they are willing to work with Goodridge to
Develop Stainless Steel Brake lines for the Chevy SSR. They are correcting their current website misinformation. Yes, it depends on how many SSR owners are serious about this. First, I have to purchase all the Brake Lines and send them to be used as a model reference point. I think that at least 10 pre-orders are a realistic starting point. In order for me to pursue this, I would ask for a deposit to be put in escrow and returned fully if it doesn’t work out. I know, it sounds petty, but then I know that you are serious about this.
So, let me know if you are interested. I just thought that I might throw the idea out there. I’m guessing the final price to be in the $200 range.
Let me know what your thought are on something like this, pro or con.

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
I had the factory brake lines fail on my 2002 Chevy Avalanche. Actually only one failed but the rest were sure to be close behind. I didn't drive it for most of a year. The new replacement lines were coated in some sort of rubber. Like it was shrink wrapped on. I did replace the one that failed so it could be driven but was afraid to drive it. I didn't know & I doubt most know that when one line fails you loose all 4 wheels......YEP.......no brakes. I was there on the assembly line when the dual master cylinder came on line. Back then you had two separate systems. That went away with the anti-lock braking system??? Just information..........

BIRDMANS

·
Premium Member
2,446 Posts
I had the factory brake lines fail on my 2002 Chevy Avalanche. Actually only one failed but the rest were sure to be close behind. I didn't drive it for most of a year. The new replacement lines were coated in some sort of rubber. Like it was shrink wrapped on. I did replace the one that failed so it could be driven but was afraid to drive it. I didn't know & I doubt most know that when one line fails you loose all 4 wheels......YEP.......no brakes. I was there on the assembly line when the dual master cylinder came on line. Back then you had two separate systems. That went away with the anti-lock braking system??? Just information..........

BIRDMANS
:surprise:
I've been (in years past) in two or three.......little to no brakes situations. Not anything one wants to go thru again. This is the first posting/info that I have seen that suggests.........a broken line on one wheel..........ceases braking overall.

I'd like to know more about that.:|

·
Registered
04 Black, 05 Black, 05 Aqua Blur
3,300 Posts
Being in Missouri having brake lines go bad is a part of owning a car that is driven in the snow or when they use road salt. I have had it happen on an S10 and just last week I went out to move my Silverado and the brakes went to the floor. I am guessing a brake line on it as well.

OP have you checked with anyone else about doing the lines. I will check and see who I have been using and post up their name. I have used them on a couple of cars and they always fit nice and priced reasonably.

·
Resident Rocket Scientist
11,997 Posts
I had Edelbrock/Russell make some prototype lines for mine back around 2005 but they decided not to produce them, oh well. I think I have a complete set of original lines that I'd be willing to part with for less than a new set..

·
Premium Member
2006 S/C Silver & 2006 Pac Blue 6spd
1,069 Posts
I spoke with HRP and they are willing to work with Goodridge to
Develop Stainless Steel Brake lines for the Chevy SSR. They are correcting their current website misinformation. Yes, it depends on how many SSR owners are serious about this. First, I have to purchase all the Brake Lines and send them to be used as a model reference point. I think that at least 10 pre-orders are a realistic starting point. In order for me to pursue this, I would ask for a deposit to be put in escrow and returned fully if it doesn’t work out. I know, it sounds petty, but then I know that you are serious about this.
So, let me know if you are interested. I just thought that I might throw the idea out there. I’m guessing the final price to be in the $200 range.
Let me know what your thought are on something like this, pro or con.
I spoke with them as well and posted the info in the spongy brake thread. My info is similar to yours about the misinformation on their site, but the part number is supposed to be correct. The HRP rep checked with the Goodridge info. They weren’t in stock at HRP or Goodridge. He said they had a scheduled call with Goodridge in about a half hour and they’d get them made up.
Bottom line: I ordered a set and am supposed to get them in 10-12 days. Hopefully they’ll be right. If not, they’ll go back.
- Robert
:silver:

·
Registered
04 Black, 05 Black, 05 Aqua Blur
3,300 Posts
I have used Inline Tube for brake lines both Stainless and steel and they have always been a good fit and a good price. I looked at their web site and I don't see anything listed for the SSR. It may still be worth sending them an email to see if they could build them

·
Premium Member
6,460 Posts

·
SSR Pit Crew
12,953 Posts
Yes, I have braded steel hose lines. Like them a lot.

Had them for some time now.

Front hose fitting connection is unique to the SSR.

Dicktator

1. Larger inside diameter than OEM
5. Red Braded belongs to Walter in NJ, had his done same time as mine.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
376 Posts
I bought a extra set of brake lines and gave them to Dick
He had a company near his home take off the fitting and installed the new lines on the fitting for us.
When he visited me a couple years ago we installed new pads and the new custom lines and the really work well.

·
Premium Member
423 Posts
Ss brake lines

Hi RG
The post at number 9 has a web site that lists the SS brake lines for the SSR and it list all 4 of them for 170.17. Are they the right ones and are they good ones. They also list some by Stop Tech for 121.13 for the fronts and 96.43 for the rears. Do you have an opinion as to the correctness and if these are really good brake lines. Suddenly having no brakes makes it seem like the truck goes faster, had it happen to me years ago, and I was a horn tooting fool for several minutes until I got the car to a stop. Makes your heart do quadruple beats a second. Exhilaration yes, but a little scary, while you look for a place to stop the ride with to much damage. Oh what FUN!!!

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I spoke to Goodridge after sending them the link to andyautosport.com.
Here are the responses from Goodrigde:
We don’t have this listed for an SSR. All our brakeAutoline kits come with front and rear lines. Not all include brackets. Sorry we don’t do custom orders for manufacturing brackets.
Re: AndyAutoSport.Com
The only advise I can give is to contact the seller and ask if they did research to confirm fitment. We do not. If he is willing to guarantee it, go for it.
So I called AndyAutoSport. I told them what Goodridge said.
They could not confirm that the 14188 listed on their site would fit the SSR.
Now, how about some good news!
E.L. Johnston Auto Parts
Technical | E.L. Johnston Auto Parts
They will make you a set of Stainless Steel Brake lines starting at $80 each.
You send them your existing brake lines to duplicate them
They use the end fittings from your brake lines.
Plus, you can get any color that you want.
A litte pricey, but they'll never were out.
Safety first.

·
Premium Member
2,446 Posts
:surprise:
I've been (in years past) in two or three.......little to no brakes situations. Not anything one wants to go thru again. This is the first posting/info that I have seen that suggests.........a broken line on one wheel..........ceases braking overall.

I'd like to know more about that.:|
:frown2:
Hello.........there is so damn much focus going on here as to where/how to obtain stainless brake lines that my prior post has gotten no reply.

Does the introduction of ABS braking on cars/trucks..........Take away the (safety factor) of having the front/rear brakes supplied by different reservoirs.

My curious mind wants an answer.:surprise::surprise::surprise:

I'm somewhat (stunned) at this time/era to find out that a leaking brake hose is gonna wipe out my entire braking system.........Tell me that is B.S.:nerd:

1 - 20 of 65 Posts