Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So it's been a while but the problem is so intermittent, diagnosis is troublesome to say the least.
Let's back up :
Car will have no starting battery, for no apparent reason and it could be weeks or months between occurrences. (Jumping battery starts it))
Changed a solenoid (Arizona Mikes suggestion) along with the other suggestions offered by the forum.
However I'm at the point that my wife won't use the car because of the unpredictability. It's to the point that I want to sell it but don't want to screw the next owner.
So !!!
I never had a vehicle wired like this...
BUT
The radio stays on even when the key is out, and turns off when the door opens. Is that normal ??
Now I'm realizing that it stays on after the door is opened (on vast occasions) today I screwed around with the key for 5 minutes before the elections in the car shut down.
Does this issue narrow down the problem??
Sorry for the long post, but suggestions are becoming desperate
Thanks

·
ONE OWNER !!!!
39,055 Posts
Have you changed your ignition switch ???

·
Premium Member
809 Posts
So it's been a while but the problem is so intermittent, diagnosis is troublesome to say the least.
Let's back up :
Car will have no starting battery, for no apparent reason and it could be weeks or months between occurrences. (Jumping battery starts it))
Changed a solenoid (Arizona Mikes suggestion) along with the other suggestions offered by the forum.
However I'm at the point that my wife won't use the car because of the unpredictability. It's to the point that I want to sell it but don't want to screw the next owner.
So !!!
I never had a vehicle wired like this...
BUT
The radio stays on even when the key is out, and turns off when the door opens. Is that normal ??
Now I'm realizing that it stays on after the door is opened (on vast occasions) today I screwed around with the key for 5 minutes before the elections in the car shut down.
Does this issue narrow down the problem??
Sorry for the long post, but suggestions are becoming desperate
Thanks
The radio should stay on for approximately 10m after the car is shut off, until the door is opened. When the door is opened, that should shut off the radio.

From your description, I’m wondering if the ignition switch has been replaced and it isn’t indexed quite right, but I’d need a few more symptoms to help more.

·
Premium Member
769 Posts
I agree with Mr. Dean. Normal for the radio is that it stays on for a period if the key is removed. Once the driver’s door is opened it should turn off. A symptom of an improperly installed or malfunctioning ignition switch is just what you’re describing. I would suggest you contact The Dictator. I believe he lives in the Clearwater area. He’s very generous with his time and knowledge and can help you.
@Dicktator , clean up on aisle 04, might get his attention.

·
One of the SoCal Nuts
27,434 Posts
I agree with nick. The Tech 2 will give a definitive answer and Dick stocks the parts in either case.

·
SSR Believer
893 Posts
@04 Silver Bullet and @Dicktator when you resolve the issue (and I'm certain you will), would you be so kind as to post the solution(s) here? It's always nice to not only know what to do in the event it happens personally, but for folks that might stumble across this thread with the same question in the future.

TIA!

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
@04 Silver Bullet and @Dicktator when you resolve the issue (and I'm certain you will), would you be so kind as to post the solution(s) here? It's always nice to not only know what to do in the event it happens personally, but for folks that might stumble across this thread with the same question in the future.

TIA!
Will do for sure

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Took "Dictator" up on his offer yesterday and joined the group clinic at "SSR Central" (Dicks house)
What a great group of guys. At least 6 or 7 SSR guy, all jumping in to help each other out with the common issues that we all have at one time or another as "R" owners. Salt of the Earth guys taking time out of there day to share knowledge and experience in a common interest.
As far as my issue goes (intermittent starting failure) we changed out the ignition switch. Apparently it's a common problem as the design is similar to the make/break contact of points.
Actually they were in the middle of changing out another fellows switch when I showed up.
As it turns out, Dick was very surprised at the excellent condition of the original switch contacts.
Since intermittent problems are often not testable, it becomes a process of elimination.
Mr Dictator has a "Plan-B" if I have another occurrence.
I'll keep you posted

·
Premium Member
2,238 Posts
Next time radio does not turn off when you open drivers door (with key turned off) -- reach over and open passenger door and see what happens -- if it shuts down then its a door latch issue if it doesn't I would look elsewhere.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Will do ...
But here's the thing.
It may point out the fact that the door lock needs replacement..
But !!
If I'm running the car all day. The battery is charging (and gives no indication of weakness)
If I stop and shut it down for gas or to pick up a quart of milk, we're taking about 10min.
tops. Not enough to drain the battery, even if the ignition isn't completely off.
I could be completely wrong about this, I'm no mechanic.
I mention only because the more information out there the elimination process narrows down.

·
One of the SoCal Nuts
27,434 Posts
Will do ...
But here's the thing.
It may point out the fact that the door lock needs replacement..
But !!
If I'm running the car all day. The battery is charging (and gives no indication of weakness)
If I stop and shut it down for gas or to pick up a quart of milk, we're taking about 10min.
tops. Not enough to drain the battery, even if the ignition isn't completely off.
I could be completely wrong about this, I'm no mechanic.
I mention only because the more information out there the elimination process narrows down.
If it points to a bad door lock you still have the option to replace it or not, but at least you know.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts