Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sometime my R will not start and I can't get the key back out. I jumped it and it started; Ran it little while stopped it and restarted it. The next day it would not start. Put in a new battery and it seem OK for a few weeks. Then it wouldn't start again. Jumped it and it started. The started and starter solenoid are also new.The alternator is about a year old. Chevy dealer has no idea what's wrong because after I jumped it I drove it to the dealer and they said its started every time for them. Any ideas? It's a 2004 R.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ya, it's the original switch, if you mean the thing you stick the key into. Replaced a black rectangular box with several wires hooked to it; also two solenoids in an around the shifter.

·
Premium Member
736 Posts
Not the thing the key goes into. It’s below the key lock but beneath the dark gray cover. Without the key inserted will the key lock move a little (1/16”)? When you do this do a couple of the indicator icons on the cluster appear? If so it may be that your ignition switch is off one tooth causing the battery to be draining all the time. I suggest you find the “How To Library” (under SSR Technical Discussion/How To Library) there’s a set of instructions describing in photos and text the procedure to replace it. It’s a $35 part. If, after reading the instructions, you determine you don’t want to tackle it there are many Fanatics out there who are willing to help you.

·
Premium Member
1,936 Posts
Replaced a black rectangular box with several wires hooked to it; also two solenoids in an around the shifter.
That is the shifter park interlock solenoid.
Yes possible bad ignition switch.

Last time you posted concerning this problem a number of people including myself suggested battery connections, did they ever test them?
When it won't start is the battery actually dead, next time you jump it drive somewhere to get battery tested to see if is in fact low on charge.

Also do as @Hollister SSR says as your previous thread states ignition switch was replaced .

If still no luck, I would also recommend they to a cranking voltage drop test of both battery cables and connections
If the service writer looks at you like a deer stuck in the headlights ask to speak to their electrical technician. If HE has no clue what that is, find another shop! They might trip and fall over the culprit, otherwise they may never find the cause without backing the truck up to the parts counter and throwing a bunch of parts at it until its fixed. That gets mighty expensive quickly.

·
Super Road Rocket Pilot
5,773 Posts
A few thoughts.......... Have you tested how much power is being drawn with the truck OFF? Sounds like you might have a parasitic drain problem.

But, how long are you letting it sit before you take it on long drives? Any more than 4-5 weeks and you should have a trickle charger on it as these trucks tend to run the battery down just sitting for a few weeks.

Also, I agree with Autoprof, take it to Autozone, Advance, etc and have then do a starting/charging system checkup.

·
SSR Pit Crew
11,642 Posts
Ignition Switch, battery Negative cable.

OEM ignition switch had bad contacts, GM change to tungsten contacts in 05, did not change part # just put one Grey cover on. So, be sure you get upgraded switch with Grey Cover. D1426D ACDelco.

Here is some reading SSR HOW TO LIBRARY:

Dicktator

Attachments

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Abutkus, in case you haven’t figured it out yet Dictator’s advise should be heeded. After all he has his PHD in SSR ignition switches. In this case PHD stands for “Phriggen Helpful Dude”.
Thanks guys. Did the grounds. cleaned them up. Not the problem. On to changing the ignition switch.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
That is the shifter park interlock solenoid.
Yes possible bad ignition switch.

Last time you posted concerning this problem a number of people including myself suggested battery connections, did they ever test them?
When it won't start is the battery actually dead, next time you jump it drive somewhere to get battery tested to see if is in fact low on charge.

Also do as @Hollister SSR says as your previous thread states ignition switch was replaced .

If still no luck, I would also recommend they to a cranking voltage drop test of both battery cables and connections
If the service writer looks at you like a deer stuck in the headlights ask to speak to their electrical technician. If HE has no clue what that is, find another shop! They might trip and fall over the culprit, otherwise they may never find the cause without backing the truck up to the parts counter and throwing a bunch of parts at it until its fixed. That gets mighty expensive quickly.
Thanks guys. Check and cleaned all the grounds. Onto change the ignition switch.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts