Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone had there ssr not start sometimes but if you turn the key 5-6sometimes 20 times it will turn over , all gauges and electronics work fine it just doesn’t start ? Any help

·
Ex SoCal Nut
9,926 Posts
Has anyone had there ssr not start sometimes but if you turn the key 5-6sometimes 20 times it will turn over , all gauges and electronics work fine it just doesn’t start ? Any help
I take it that it will not turn over, and when it does, it will run. Try new ignition switch first and then maybe it's the starter. Happened on my '04.

·
SSR Pit Crew
12,534 Posts
After ignition switch, which is more than likely the problem, check cable connection at starter IF it is 05/06.

Use ONLY ACDelco D1426D Ignition Switch!! There are cheaper "knock-offs".

Factory didn't connect starter cable real TIGHT! Seen this on several 05/06 SSR.

Check SSR How to Library for STARTER PROBLEM

Link: https://onedrive.live.com/?id=3EF39D9F5ADCE5E5!853&cid=3EF39D9F5ADCE5E5

Dicktator

·
Premium Member
2,796 Posts
Does anything at all happen when you turn key to crank, gauges sweep etc?

There was a post a couple of months ago with @yellow thunder -- not sure if its similar - he mentioned the answers to the above questions.
He never replied to let us know what the problem actually was - (I hope i did this right to maybe get yellow thunder to reply!)
but good ideas and tests to help you possibly find you solution

http://www.ssrfanatic.com/forum/f5/car-won-t-start-207906/

·
Premium Member
'06 FPR Smokin Asphalt; '04 Ulta Violet
4,230 Posts
orthomutt--- help is on the way--mean time----Welcome from Forney Texas!!! you are on the BEST FORUM ever! BUT-----Go to "Tools" in the red banner, click on "User CP" go to "Your Profile" then click "Edit Your Details". Then, whenever you "post" it will show in the left column under your name and we will know where you are and what you drive. Then if you have a problem, someone close by might be able to help out.

Nick

·
DSTRSSR
523 Posts
I had a no start issue while traveling to Denison in October,when I went to start the truck in the morning (cold start) it would crank over fine, but no sign of wanting to start, I opened the under hood fuse box & gently pushed down on all of the fuse's & relay's. It started right up, it started fine for the next week & then while heading to Vegas the problem got worst, needing the relay's pushed down every couple of starts. We ended up swapping a couple of relay's around and the problem has gone away for now. I will replace the relay in the spring before I drive it home

Kelly

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It’s a o4 and the gauges sweep like there supposed to and the radio works no click like the bendex it coming out or anything and when it catches it starts right up (not like a low battery) and it does it periodically

·
Premium Member
4,230 Posts
I see it is an '04, but did you check the Battery cable connection on the Solenoid, tighten the nut, like Dicktator suggested? It can happen on any year. Plus its free!!

Nick

·
Premium Member
2,480 Posts
I had a problem with mine when you turn the key everything acted as it should but the starter did not crank the motor over the lights dimmed but no sound of it trying to start I slid under the truck and tapped the starter lightly with a bullpen tried it again and it started right up. I did replace the starter.

·
SSR Pit Crew
12,534 Posts
I had a problem with mine when you turn the key everything acted as it should but the starter did not crank the motor over the lights dimmed but no sound of it trying to start I slid under the truck and tapped the starter lightly with a bullpen tried it again and it started right up. I did replace the starter.
I just replaced starter on 04 only 13 years old and 127,000 miles, cheap truck!!

DAM! I would say that is really good service.

I change battery and cable every 4 years, need to or not.

Dicktator

Check Battery Negative Cable.
Nice "Glow" from BAD ground.
Can only get NEW one from NAPA.

Attachments

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Nothing like starting simple , I didn’t even think of cables or battery connection .

Best form ever ! I’ll look at it tomorrow

·
Premium Member
4,230 Posts
By the way---glad to see you did your Profile!!!

Nick

1 - 15 of 15 Posts