Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,793 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Coming back from Warner Robbins this happened. Normally I turn the key and it starts immediately. When I started it it kept turning over but would not start. It seems like it kept turning over after I shut the key off! Only for a moment. Tried again and it started. This is now an issue, I’ve tried leaving it in the on position then start it, may or may not start. No check engine light, fuel pump replaced a month or so ago. Could it be the fuel pump relay? Why would it keep turning over after I stop cranking it..... It’s weird. Thanks for any info...just hope the tank doesn’t have to come down again.

Dane

·
One of the SoCal Nuts
28,457 Posts
Coming back from Warner Robbins this happened. Normally I turn the key and it starts immediately. When I started it it kept turning over but would not start. It seems like it kept turning over after I shut the key off! Only for a moment. Tried again and it started. This is now an issue, I’ve tried leaving it in the on position then start it, may or may not start. No check engine light, fuel pump replaced a month or so ago. Could it be the fuel pump relay? Why would it keep turning over after I stop cranking it..... It’s weird. Thanks for any info...just hope the tank doesn’t have to come down again.

Dane
I have always had the situation that the starter turns for a set amount of time, relatively short, with just a quick hit of the key switch, whether the engine starts or not. I have not timed it but I never hold the key turned. I just click and let go. Probably a bad habit but that is what I do. Usually the engine starts but if not it will usually go on the second try. At AMS it stalled in the tunnel as we were leaving and would not start in neutral. I had to put it in Park and foot on brake to get it to go but then it was normal. Not sure if this helps or confuses the issue at hand.

·
Premium Member
'06 FPR Smokin Asphalt; '04 Ulta Violet
4,490 Posts
Was it HOT when it would not start? If it was, have you done the "Fuse Box" fix? If not, do you have the fuse box jumper wire that you could try next time it happens? --Just a thought?!?!

Nick

·
Premium Member
2,968 Posts
Once the ECM has received a start signal from ignition switch it will continue to crank engine for a while until engine speed sensor sends a higher rpm signal indicating engine is running or computer times out and shuts down starter. I would have to look up specs but I believe 10-20 seconds. This part is seemingly normal, you probably never noticed because it started in that time period.
Problem is why didn't it fire up.

Hope you had fun in Georgia and are home safe.

·
Premium Member
1,793 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Bluestreak, it’s a six speed manual can’t find “park” ?
Nj6969.... I happen to have that thanks to Ed in FL but never hot, never was an issue before!
Autoprof....the sequence is helpfu. It started okay this morning without the issue so I’m removing the battery for a few days while I redo the interior. Might reset something or may not?

Interesting that no one has had a similar experience. Thank you for the info and support.

·
RedHotSSR
605 Posts
GM Question

Why do you think that after all these years GM has not passed info that is available on our SSR Forum to it's dealers / service personnel? :confused I just can't understand the lack of knowledge so many "Mr. Good Wrench" / GM "Certified" service centers have on the SSR. :surprise: For many owners it's the ONLY option they have on servicing their Rs. Very Sad.:crying:

Without this Forum, and the input from many of it's members many of us would have sold our Rs a long time ago, or would have spent many more $$$$ having them repaired / serviced by part swappers. God bless the Forum.0:)

"Long may we all run":grin2:

·
Premium Member
2,968 Posts
Why do you think that after all these years GM has not passed info that is available on our SSR Forum to it's dealers / service personnel? :confused I just can't understand the lack of knowledge so many "Mr. Good Wrench" / GM "Certified" service centers have on the SSR. :surprise: For many owners it's the ONLY option they have on servicing their Rs. Very Sad.:crying:
"Long may we all run":grin2:
It is disturbing to me that some techs, service personnel are not aware of this. This in not unique to the SSR. My wife's 05 Impala was the same. I have not tried her 17 Sonata, but with the keyless start I believe it will do the same. Try on your other car to just "bump" the engine. You may be surprised.

·
Premium Member
2005 Electric Blue A/T
8 Posts

Dane
Hello Dane, I am new kid needing front roof panel latch. Mine is broken so I brought it back home today until I can locate 15781546 to fix it. You mentioned you had one are you interested in selling?

·
Supporting SSR Hobbyist
10,106 Posts
Hey @oldxr ,

It‘s normal for the starter to stay engaged for the duration of the programmed “start cycle time” of 10-15 seconds. All GM vehicles after about 2001 do it. Your no-start issue may be the igntion relay giving you fits. It provides power to both the fuel pump and the ignition coils. Swap it with the neighboring relay of the same part number. It is the start relay and will certainly show an issue if it is a bad relay.

My two cents,

Mike

1 - 12 of 12 Posts