Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What this truck needs is a steering stabilizer.

The shimmy when you hit a bad stretch of road at speed is very noticeable. I had the same problem on my truck (94 Chevy full size 4x4) when I increased the tire size but I put a Rancho stabilizer on when I upgraded the shocks and the shimmy went away completely.

I did a few searches and have not had much luck. Rancho does not list the SSR or Trailblazer. Ditto for Monroe. Gabriel lists a part number G63842 for the Trailblazer but most online parts places do not list them.

Anybody work at a parts house or have connections that can check that out? If it fits the Trailblazer and we have basically a Trailblazer frame, then maybe that is the answer.

Diggs

C

·
0 Posts
Shimmy

I also am experiencing the same shimmy problem. Very annoying over a series of bumps. Please let me also know if there is a solution.

M

·
0 Posts
I agree. Some kind of stabilizer would be awesome. I have bounced around a bit on a bad part of the road. Have been tossed from one side of the lane to the other in a flash. Don't like it at all. Would love to have more stability when hitting bumps at speed. Please keep us all informed.

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
And here I had all ready given up on driving the Old Altemont just because of this. Not having heard of such a stabilizer, I need to ask if there are any down sides to the use of such and item?

After all the shocks that are kicking the wheel around don't go away.

·
Premium Member
3,481 Posts
I checked with my aftermarket suspention supplier today and as of this time he knows of no stabilizer made. He all so said that someone had told him they were going to come out with a lift kit for the trailblazer and if they do that they will also make a stabilizer also.

·
Premium Member
887 Posts
I researched the stabilizer for the Trailblazer and no one makes one. The full-size GM trucks, as well as the SSR and Trailblazer all have rack & pionion steering--where are you going to attach the stabilizer? No one services a stabilizer for any of those vehicles. The normal procedure attaches it to the relay rod or center link, which our vehicles do not have.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hmmmm.....

WAYNESWORLD said:
I researched the stabilizer for the Trailblazer and no one makes one. The full-size GM trucks, as well as the SSR and Trailblazer all have rack & pionion steering--where are you going to attach the stabilizer? No one services a stabilizer for any of those vehicles. The normal procedure attaches it to the relay rod or center link, which our vehicles do not have.
Now that puts it in a different light. I had not been under the front end of the truck. I was under the rear when I did the wiring for the trailer hitch but this throws a monkey wrench in the works.

Shouldn't rack and pinion steering by it's nature be dampened? It is obviously not in this case.

Diggs

1 - 10 of 10 Posts