Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I removed my steering wheel to have it leather wrapped and now the buttons no longer work. Is there a fuse that controls those buttons ?
Thanks Alan

·
RedHotSSR
605 Posts
Weekend

Alan it the weekend and many who can help you /answer your question are not logging in. Hang in there.

Were the switches ALL working prior to removal on the wheel? Did you ID all the connections you disconnected and assure ALL were reconnected properly? Yes, there are fuses , you can open the box under the hood and visually check them, there is another fuse box behind the passenger seat that may have fuses ( not sure about that one ) Sure it's a simple solution / repair.

Wishing you the best and "Long may you run" P.S. "Just behind Disney World!!! How the heck do you get to sleep at night/

·
Premium Member
04 SSR
3,169 Posts
You will not find a fuse that would prevent operation of these buttons.
These buttons provide separate signals by grounding a circuit to the IPC for driver info buttons and the other side provides signals to the radio.
Do all functions no longer operate?

·
Premium Member
230 Posts
Just reading over your post "hotroddodd", I have to ask if wraping the steering wheel had any effect on their operation - such as interferance?
LAZY ONE

·
SSR Pit Crew
13,058 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Switches all worked before removing the wheel. Now none work. Also swapped over to a second wheel and none of the switches work on it now. Seemed to be a problem from the car side of the connector back.

·
Cantankerous SSR CaretakR
2,291 Posts
Possibly connector to clock spring or clock spring itself. Just seems awfully coincidental.

·
Premium Member
04 SSR
3,169 Posts
I looked at wiring diagrams hoping to see one wire that was common to both buttons.
Unfortunately, I did not find any one wire that would effect both buttons (see first two diagrams)

Do the lights in the switches come on? -- If not again suspect switches not plugged in all the way or faulty clock spring

I tried to reverse the switches on a spare steering wheel that I had thinking if the harness was removed from steering wheel to recover it that harness could have been installed reversed and plugged into wrong switch. You cannot connect the wrong switch properly - the switches are difficult to plug in securely and maybe they are not plugged in all the way.

You can determine if the problem is in the steering wheel harness or switches easily with the DIC switches. With the air bag removed (don't forget to remove fuse) you can jumper terminal A to H (use small paper clip that DOES NOT distort the terminal) at the black connector going into the steering column with the key on and engine off. It is a low current circuit will not require a lot of force. Each time you jumper these two terminals the fuel display (range - etc) should change on DIC. Like wise jumping terminals B,C or D individually to H should also change the DIC. see diagram 3.
The radio switches would require resistors to jump, but you could test for 12v on terminal E on steering harness side with key on engine off. (red lead on terminal E, black lead to a known good ground)

If you find you can change the DIC with the jumper the problem is in the steering wheel harness or switches (possible switch connectors)
If the DIC does not change possible clockspring malfunction --- I believe that the clockspring went out on somebody else's after a steering wheel swap. I don't remember who it was possibly @Dr Who?

Let us know what you find out -- I can provide more information to diagnosis the clockspring

Attachments

·
Premium Member
04 SSR
3,169 Posts
Dictator, what if the two harnesses were switched?
Hollister SSR --- I thought of the same thing so I tried to do this on a spare steering wheel see please read my previous post

I tried to reverse the switches on a spare steering wheel that I had thinking if the harness was removed from steering wheel to recover it that harness could have been installed reversed and plugged into wrong switch. You cannot connect the wrong switch properly - the switches are difficult to plug in securely and maybe they are not plugged in all the way.
The plugs have an indexing feature to make them idiot resistant, meaning very difficult to plug into wrong switch without excessive force. I say that it is idiot resistant not idiot proof because if you try hard enough you can put them in incorrectly. The procedure I described using a jumper wire to the column harness would determine if that is a possibility without removing the steering wheel to perform a visual inspection.

But to answer your question -- if it was possible to plug the connector into the switch far enough to make electrical contact -- the radio might do something when DIC buttons were depressed but the DIC would not do anything when any of the radio buttons were depressed.
This is exactly why I tried to reverse the switches on my spare steering wheel, I did not force them however.

It is similar to installing an old school 1157 brake light tail light bulb backwards. The indexing pins make it hard to install this bulb backwards but not impossible. After 20+ years with students trying to repair cars I have seen a lot of mistakes (its how they learn!) I call it "idiot resistant NOT idiot proof". I have even installed somethings backwards myself and had the students try to figure out why things did not work as expected.

·
Dr Who
649 Posts
I looked at wiring diagrams hoping to see one wire that was common to both buttons.
Unfortunately, I did not find any one wire that would effect both buttons (see first two diagrams)

Do the lights in the switches come on? -- If not again suspect switches not plugged in all the way or faulty clock spring

You can determine if the problem is in the steering wheel harness or switches easily with the DIC switches. With the air bag removed (don't forget to remove fuse) you can jumper terminal A to H (use small paper clip that DOES NOT distort the terminal) at the black connector going into the steering column with the key on and engine off. It is a low current circuit will not require a lot of force. Each time you jumper these two terminals the fuel display (range - etc) should change on DIC. Like wise jumping terminals B,C or D individually to H should also change the DIC. see diagram 3.
The radio switches would require resistors to jump, but you could test for 12v on terminal E on steering harness side with key on engine off. (red lead on terminal E, black lead to a known good ground)

If you find you can change the DIC with the jumper the problem is in the steering wheel harness or switches (possible switch connectors)
If the DIC does not change possible clockspring malfunction --- I believe that the clockspring went out on somebody else's after a steering wheel swap. I don't remember who it was possibly @Dr Who?

Let us know what you find out -- I can provide more information to diagnosis the clockspring

Yes, I had a similar problem and yes, the clock spring assembly was the issue. Not expensive and not difficult to change

·
Premium Member
04 SSR
3,169 Posts
1 - 13 of 13 Posts