Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
According to the SSR Owner's Manual (2-15) three things should lock when you remove the key from the ignition: 1. The ignition. 2. The Steering Wheel. 3. The transmission shifter. This is part of the standard GM theft deterrent features. I tested mine today and it appears that my steering wheel doesn't lock when I remove the key from the ignition. I could move it to the left and right some and noticed the wheels were turning a little with each direction I turned the steering wheel. I have a couple other GM vehicles and know how the steering wheel should lock so that it can't be turned at all. The transmission shifter does lock in Park the way it should. Has anyone else noticed this in their SSR? Not a big deal but I just wondered if mine was the only one that does this or has someone else experienced the same.

·
Registered
10,950 Posts
Doesn't lock either

My steering wheel did not lock either.

D

·
0 Posts
Guys, I don't own an SSR but is there a lever next to the ignition?

Al

·
Registered
2,454 Posts
:D Mine locks just like the manual says it should. A bit of play, but it is locked up tight. By the way, I just used Maguires Liquid Crystal, Step one in a three step process on my black bird and it looks awesome!!!! Got all of those swirl marks out. I don't even see the need for the next two steps but whoaaa, what a shine!

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Dark-Age-53, Nope, no lever by the ignition. Thanks for the suggestion.

·
Registered
705 Posts
Zaino rules for waxing your car.

F

·
0 Posts
Sterring Wheel Locks

I bought a 2003 Cargo Van for the business...and the steering DOES NOT lock. I have asked the dealer/service manager. They say GM no longer makes it lock...ummm.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The responses thusfar to my question about whether or not the SSR steering column has the built-in, theft deterrent, locking feature, have been few and far between. The vote, to date, is 2 owner's say their's don't lock, one says their's locks like the manual says it should, and one that GM MAY not be using the locking steering column anymore. Sure would appreciate some more input from fellow SSR owners as to whether or not your steering column "locks" when you remove the key from the ignition. My last resort is to go to my local Chevrolet Service Dept. as they don't seem to know as much about SSR features as the people on this site do. Along that line of thought--------where are the locations of the 19 or 26, or ever how many, bowties that I've seen mentioned on this site?

D

·
0 Posts
Geez. Another quality problem. If the manual says it is supposed to lock, and even one does, then the rest are just defective. That's the wonderful UAW for you. Don't you wish the employees actually had to be personally accountable for their work? You know, if it isn't right, then make them repair it for free, on their own time.:cuss

Dave

D

·
0 Posts
DavePD said:
That's the wonderful UAW for you.
Dave, I'm not saying it is or isn't but are you sure the steering column is made by UAW memebrs, today most auto manufactures farms out that part to vendors. Being you don't have the answer why there's a problem ( if there is ) you might want to wait to see who to blame first ( again if there is a problem ).

D

·
0 Posts
The columns are made in Saginaw at Delphi Steering systems. I live not far from there. I have friends that work there, and my father-in-law retired from there. I know what I speak of, and the hourly production worker suffers no recourse if the part is not properly assembled. The Craft Center is a UAW facility, as is Delphi, even if some of the subcomponent vendors are not. So the column was not built right, and no one in assembly cared or bothered to test to see that it worked, correct? Or if they did, they just passed it on. Unfortunately the SSR is just the latest victim.

D

·
0 Posts
DavePD said:
So the column was not built right, and no one in assembly cared or bothered to test to see that it worked, correct? Or if they did, they just passed it on.
I guess it's not possibe that it was built & tested correctly and something mechanical happened to it before RedTn.SSR picked it up? The bottom line is you don't know what the problem is with RedTn.SSR column, so why bash anyone before you know the facts? I'm not saying that someone didn't do there job correctly, just wait before you bash anyone or anything first. Getting off my soap box now.

Regards,
Al

·
Registered
10,950 Posts
Lock

While I had my SSR in to fix the bed leak and the hydraulic hose hang (which they fixed with a plastic wire tie), I asked them to check the wheel lock problem. They say that it should NOT lock. I said that the manual says it should. They said GM said it shouldn't. I hope this answered your question....:banghead

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hey looking4, Thanks for the info. about the locking steering wheel. You saved me a trip in to my Service Dept. to ask the same question. It wasn't that big of a deal I just wanted to know if it should or shouldn't lock. Mine wouldn't lock and now I can sleep better at night knowing nothing is broken. Thanks again!

·
Registered
2,454 Posts
:banghead Ok, I was wrong, it does not lock, but it sure is tight! I can barely turn the wheel after I shut her down which is why I thought it was locked. Actually, you pretty much have to be King Kong to turn the wheel, so if that is what it takes, I am satisfied!

D

·
0 Posts
Glad to hear all's well with this problem....... then again there really wasn't a problem...... then again I quess it really wasn't the fault of a UAW member, was it DavePD. :lol

I don't work at the Lansing Craft Center but I can tell you that everyone there ( UAW and GM ) want to build you the best vehicle they can. :cheers

1 - 18 of 18 Posts