Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've read a few posts about vibration in the steering wheel and for those who have had this issue what was your fix? I have a 2004 and had the tires balanced and a front end alignment and there is still a vibration in the wheel starting at 65mph. The dealer had said the tires where a bit worn in the middle saying they were probably overinflated. The tire tread looks new to me. The SSR only has 30k miles.

·
Registered
1,759 Posts
I would still be looking at the wheels and tires. Our trucks use a steering rack and I wouldn't imagine it would be an issue with so few of miles on it. The wheels could be out of round from maybe hitting something or a tire may have a bad belt in it. I would start with raising it up and spin each front tire slowly and look for either thread wobble left to right or up and down while spinning the wheels. If you can't see anything there then have someone try balancing them. One question does it do it more when you step on the brakes? If so look at rotors. With the low miles I wouldn't think you would have a warped rotor but it might be a caliper sticking and causing more heat on one rotor.

·
Supporting SSR Hobbyist
9,482 Posts
I would recommend you go get your tires tested with a "road force balance" machine. It places a roller on the tire and slowly rotates it to measure the deviation in deflection. This will identify any "soft spots" in the sidewalls. These are easily generated on tires that are not run much and sit in one position on a hard, flat surface (concrete floor) for an extended period of time. I can relate to this....... I just replaced my tire for the same reason.

If the vibration is felt primarily in the steering wheel, it is a front wheel issue..... if you feel it in the seat of your pants and not in the wheel so much, it's a rear issue.

My two cents,

Mike

·
Premium Member
4,299 Posts
When you get your tires checked, run them and get them hot. Some times a slipped belt is hard to detect on cold tires.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I took the SSR to have the tires road balanced. They didn't even put the tire on the machine. He ran his hand over it and said it was cupped. The Chevy dealer balanced them and didn't say a anything about them being cupped.

I just got an alignment. Will driving on the cupped tires throw me out of align? I was thinking about waiting til next year to get tires since it's not driven much.

·
HobbyBob
609 Posts
The cupped tire will transmit a vibration and make the alignment seem like it wasn't done, although it will drive straight. .02

·
Premium Member
1,509 Posts
I took the SSR to have the tires road balanced. They didn't even put the tire on the machine. He ran his hand over it and said it was cupped. The Chevy dealer balanced them and didn't say a anything about them being cupped.

I just got an alignment. Will driving on the cupped tires throw me out of align? I was thinking about waiting til next year to get tires since it's not driven much.
:rolleyes:

Get your wallet out and pony up for a new set of tires. Problem solved.:cool:

·
BAD BOW TIE
8,941 Posts

If you are not going to drive it much wait until spring and do the whole thing.
1. New tires.
2. Road force balanced.
3. Front end alignment according to Dictators numbers and specs. Different then factory but better.

·
Daily Driver
8,830 Posts
1. New tires.
2. Road force balanced.
3. Front end alignment according to Dictators numbers and specs. Different then factory but better.
Emphasis on #3, do not use the factory alignment specs it will ruin your tires. Some shops will refuse to vary from factory specs, if they do go somewhere else.

·
Premium Member
1,509 Posts
:rolleyes:

As comments 12-13-14 have confirmed what I said in comment 11.

Your choice.........Like the old Fram Oil Filter Ad..........."Pay me now or pay me later".

Get new tires now or what till Spring.:sneaky:

·
Premium Member
1,541 Posts
I had a similar issue. I had a set of Atturo tires which I loved but after about 12000mi I developed a shimmy. Had the tires balanced and it came back after a short time. Had them balanced again and the tech doing the balance said he would balance the right front, then spin it again and the balance was different. Same issue with the left rear. Could not maintain a balance on either tire. Both tires went bad, probably a shifting belt.
I bought and installed a set of Federal Couragia Tires same sizes and when the tires were installed they pointed out I had a slightly bent RF rim which was never noticed by the tire balancing. The new rubber got rid of the vibration but I still get a little bit over 60mph which they said is due to the bent rim.

·
Premium Member
4,299 Posts
Cupping of tires could be caused by several things, alignment, balance, bad or loose front end parts, wore out shocks plus a combination of several. If your R has high mileage it still may have OE shocks. Simple Engineering has Bilsteins better than new OE. Make sure you get a complete frt end check before you put new shoes on the baby.

·
Premium Member
1,629 Posts
As far as road force balancing, my mechanic just added one. My Silverado had a shaking at 70+ mph. They balanced them and it went away entirely.

He had not purchased it prior to my buying new tires for the Branson trip. I will probably have him do it at 5,000 miles. Only one took any weight at all on the standard balance.

Dave

·
Registered
23 Posts
1. New tires.
2. Road force balanced.
I just googled "Dictator's SSr front end alignment numbers and specs", as Aggie Doggie suggested, & I came up with nothing ??
I don't know this little trick for a better alignment over factory specs, so if JustDolt2004 doesn't know this good info being giving here on the Fanatic, & tries to google it as I did, he or she will be clueless too ??
Rick.

·
Registered
146 Posts
I've read a few posts about vibration in the steering wheel and for those who have had this issue what was your fix? I have a 2004 and had the tires balanced and a front end alignment and there is still a vibration in the wheel starting at 65mph. The dealer had said the tires where a bit worn in the middle saying they were probably overinflated. The tire tread looks new to me. The SSR only has 30k miles.
Belt separation due to not driving your SSR. I have had this problem when a vehicle sits for long periods of time. The loose or vibration I had on my 04 SSR was rack & pinion. So get out your credit card. Buy tires. Have wheels checked for damage. Go to a front end repair shop that is familiar with Trail blazer chassis Chevrolet used for SSR. Your problem is a not new to front end problems.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts