Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK - so, one week while my first SSR was in the shop, they gave me a Tahoe (mainly because I begged them not to give me another Malibu or Impala).

I had always wished to find a solution for putting XM into the SSR, by the way.

Of all the XM-ready radios I've seen, the Tahoe's Nav radio is the ONLY one I've ever seen that shows *simultaneously* the station name, number, artist and title of what's on XM.

My Vette's Nav radio only shows one line at a time across the top, as does nearly every other OEM radio that's XM compatible. Pisses me off, I don't want to have to take my eyes off the road for a full 10-15 seconds to find out what I'm listening to.

SO - that said, I would want to drop that Tahoe radio into a new SSR, except the fact that Chevrolet's Nav systems are total crap.

SOOOOOO - What out there for sale will do this? Provide pics if possible, even if you've got something in another car that does it!

- I want it to be either single-din or at least fit into the space where the SSR stereo goes now (if a dual-din can be made to fit, for example).

- I want to see all the XM info at once, all the time when I'm listening to XM, which is 99.9% of the time

- IF it's a touchscreen radio as well, maybe it has Navigation that doesn't SUCK?

Touchscreen isn't imperative, but opens up things like Nav, backup camera, etc. and there's a greater chance of a multi-line display on a video screen type.

And nobody has been able to give me a straight answer to this stuff before, when I've asked on other car forums - it's like some big secret or something. If they sold stuff like this at Best Buy i'd check it out for myself but they never seem to.

·
OP
8,226 Posts
jammadave said:
OK - so, one week while my first SSR was in the shop, they gave me a Tahoe (mainly because I begged them not to give me another Malibu or Impala).
I had always wished to find a solution for putting XM into the SSR, by the way.
to.

Do a SEARCH. Several have achieved what you are trying to do, the most complete was the late Bob Adam (R.I.P.) who had the NAV and backup camera in his head unit.
I recommend searching for stereos with any posting by Bob...
Happy hunting

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
no search of anything (forums, newsgroups, even the manufacturers' sites) has ever produced a photo of the screen of one of those systems while playing an XM station, which is the only thing I definitively want to see or at least hear described in detail.

Anyone???

·
Registered
10,950 Posts
jammadave said:
no search of anything (forums, newsgroups, even the manufacturers' sites) has ever produced a photo of the screen of one of those systems while playing an XM station, which is the only thing I definitively want to see or at least hear described in detail.

Anyone???

Well I tried searching, this is not what you were asking for, but it's something: http://www.garmin.com/products/sp7200/

Here is a picture of what you are looking for (I think), but I can't find the make or model :glol :

I did find this site, xm411.com, which seems to have tons of info and installation pictures, etc. Have you been there?

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Wow, looks like somebody's OEM system there, probably a Honda product by what the interface looks like.

As for the Garmin - oh yes, if I don't get a nav stereo I'd 100% go for a Garmin. It's what I had for a couple years until I got the Vette, and I wish I hadn't given it away to my now-ex to keep in her car =0)

Looking at XM411 it appears it's all about the portable hardware units but I'm digging...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts