Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
740 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been driving a stick for the last six years, and I really like it. But the test drive I did was with an automatic. I'm kind of wondering whether this monster is a bit big for a stick. Stick shifts are fun with little sports cars, but I'm not so sure with an SSR.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
124 Posts
Stick baby

I've got a 05 with a stick and it's the only way I'd go. I've driven both, and the SSR doesn't drive like a truck it drives like an oversized sportscar, as far as the accelaration is concerned. It's just a whole lot more fun with a stick. :thumbs
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
21 Posts
My main consideration in selecting a stick in the SSR would be "Foot Space".
I have imagined my '04 Automatic with a clutch and wonder how close the pedals are and how high my leg would rise while "Clutching".
Seems my inner leg would rub against the steering wheel every time.
The tunnel is narrow providing minimal foot room even without a clutch.
Long trips present a limited ability to stay comfortable in the cockpit.
I would not sacrifice the room required for the clutch pedal.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,592 Posts
I would have to agree also with the automatic..If you bought an SSR to race it then you wasted your money...

I bought mine for style and the joy it brings me everytime I see it..You know what...I never see the motor when I look at it or the transmission...hmmm..Speed limit is 70mph out on our Highways...

Just some things to think about...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
162 Posts
dont' worry about foot space - i'm 6'3" and i have size 14 shoes, and i have no problem. I too have driven both and there's no way I'd not get the stick if I had to choose over again. Of course, nearly every car I've owned has been a manual and I prefer it in general. The 05 auto I drove just wasn't as fun.

It's got a vette engine, drive it like a vette :thumbs
(ok, i'm one of those guys that you see peering into vettes on the street then shedding a tear when he sees an auto tranny)

-Wes
 

·
Resident Rocket Scientist
Joined
·
11,997 Posts
dougnc said:
I've been driving a stick for the last six years, and I really like it. But the test drive I did was with an automatic. I'm kind of wondering whether this monster is a bit big for a stick. Stick shifts are fun with little sports cars, but I'm not so sure with an SSR.
I managed to test drive both on the same day. The stick is a whole different animal. I prefer stick shift and I'm glad that's what I've got. I'm still waiting for someone to make an automatic that isn't one gear above or below where you want it to be..
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
480 Posts
Stick or automatic depends on where you live and how much traffic you have. I bought my 05 with an automatic and love it. Am selling my 97 BMW 540 I Sport with six on the floor. It has been a great car but after 8 years I am tired of the stick. Things never stay the same and you have to roll with the punches. The choice is yours. Look inside yourself and see what floats your boat.

Sarasota Joe
 
B

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
I love my auto also. Very hard to drink and drive with a stick shift. talk on phone or any of the other things we are not to do while driving. Besides did I tell you I was LAZY. thats a lot of work shifting all those gears. I for 1 would have the auto even if cost more. Wait a minute, isn't that the way it used to be. Shifted allthe gears I wanted to years ago. 2 69 mach1's, 67 camaro I wish I had kep, 70 charger 440 mag, 70 challenger 340 6 pack, 65 chevy P/U long wide 283 stick. 63 Ford Galaxie grandma give me they bought new with no options. Talk about a mover. better have a long clearin to pass some one. The Good Ole Days?? :cheers
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
102 Posts
Personal choice for sure. I have had many different vehicles and a lot of stick and a lot of automatics. I have a new 04 so auto was my only choice but I have my M5 with the 6-speed and my Mustang Cobra with it's 6-speed so I can shift gears when I want to. For me the type of driving is what matters most. My SSR is going to be my daily driver and something to hop into and enjoy. My Cobra isn't for just daily driving. I enjoy it when it's being run as hard as I can get away with, legally of course.... My M5 is the best mix of pure luxury and performance anyone can imagine but on many drives while stuck in traffic I wish it was a 5-6 speed auto. Spend as much time in both as you can or at least rent a stick of some other type for the weekend and drive, drive, drive then do the same with an auto. Then, buy what was most fun for YOU!

Good luck! Either way you will be more than happy with an 05 SSR.
 
J

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
wilddesertwolf said:
I've got a 05 with a stick and it's the only way I'd go. I've driven both, and the SSR doesn't drive like a truck it drives like an oversized sportscar, as far as the accelaration is concerned. It's just a whole lot more fun with a stick. :thumbs
Guess there's always going to be a difference of opinion! I drove the stick, & almost decided against the truck because I didn't like the six speed shift pattern (too long a throw). I did go back a few days later & drove the auto, & too make a long story short, I took delivery just tonight! Good thing Chevy decided to go "both ways", huh? Stick or auto, who cares, it's just a fun darn truck to drive! I can't wait till it warms up, so I can "pop that top"!
 

·
Administrator
PEDIGREE SSR
Joined
·
8,609 Posts
Jim Carden said:
... Good thing Chevy decided to go "both ways", huh? Stick or auto, who cares, it's just a fun darn truck to drive! I can't wait till it warms up, so I can "pop that top"!
I can't wait to the warmer weather gets here. WOW its March 1st already! :jester

Soon I will be jumping in my SSR and spinnin them there tires...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
740 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
pesos said:
dont' worry about foot space - i'm 6'3" and i have size 14 shoes, and i have no problem. I too have driven both and there's no way I'd not get the stick if I had to choose over again. Of course, nearly every car I've owned has been a manual and I prefer it in general. The 05 auto I drove just wasn't as fun.

It's got a vette engine, drive it like a vette :thumbs
(ok, i'm one of those guys that you see peering into vettes on the street then shedding a tear when he sees an auto tranny)

-Wes
What if you're 5'7" with size 8 shoes? :)

I was worried the clutch would be too hard to get to.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
740 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
hdflstf said:
I managed to test drive both on the same day. The stick is a whole different animal. I prefer stick shift and I'm glad that's what I've got. I'm still waiting for someone to make an automatic that isn't one gear above or below where you want it to be..
On the other hand, how forgiving is the stick? I can run the Z3 up to 40 in 2nd, and leave it in third down to 20, so I'm not really stuck if I"m taking a drink of coffee as the traffic changes.

Speaking of which, hows that single cup holder do with a steel car mug of coffee? :)
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,215 Posts
Auto or Stick

:flag I was a Teamster truck driver for 30 years. Now that's alot of shifting. I will pick up my new 04 auto. on March 8 and plan to drive from N.Y. to FL. Any hints on break in miles? Thanks, Mason
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
60 Posts
I went with the 6-speed (daily driver) and don't regret it at all. With the 3:73 gears it is responsive in every gear and very forgiving. My '99 vette has same (T56) transmission with 3:42 gears and requires a lot more shifting.

I'm 62 years old and 6'2" and have no problem with placement of clutch pedal or shifter.

I rate this one of the easier stick shift vehicle I have ever driven. Very smooth.

Remember this is not a RACE vehicle (5000+ lbs) but you can still drive it like one :) :)

George

Bottom Line - Drive both and decide based on you driving habits.
 

·
Tu-Tone club member
Joined
·
5,780 Posts
Mason....drive to your hearts content...

Mason57 said:
:flag I was a Teamster truck driver for 30 years. Now that's alot of shifting. I will pick up my new 04 auto. on March 8 and plan to drive from N.Y. to FL. Any hints on break in miles? Thanks, Mason
I picked mine up in Erie, Pa in Jan 04 and with 4 miles on the odometer, drove it home to Fla 1130 miles in two days. Don't call that much of a break-in period. I did vary my speed...ie didn't drive at 80mph for hours on end. No problems at all.

P/P

Peace :flag
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
85 Posts
I test drove an Auto and a Stick today :cool at two different dealerships.

my impressions were both were fun to drive . I drove the auto first and it was so simple and smooth and when I stepped on it no disapointments.....then I drove to the next dealership (the first one didn't have any sticks} and when we took it around the block and I jumped on it , well let me tell you it was way too much fun ,imediately the salesman says go easy we don't want to run out of gas, as I scratched it in 2nd and again in 3rd not even really trying.This was like highschool all over again. A real hot rod.

on a scale of 1 to 10 : auto gets a 8 with plus 1 for ease and
minus 2 for will become boring total = 7

: stick gets a 9 with plus 3 for fun and
minus 2 for extra work= 10

This is not a scientific test so I will have to go out and conduct this again tomorrow :D :D :D
 

·
Administrator
PEDIGREE SSR
Joined
·
8,609 Posts
A New Car Salesperson's Prayer...

TicketBait said:
... This is not a scientific test so I will have to go out and conduct this again tomorrow :D :D :D
OH PLEASE...
get me back to the dealership alive and safe!!!!
<--- Wild GUY TicketBait
 
1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Top