Chevy SSR Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,783 Posts
Six Speed-Booyah!!

Driving curvy roads in the mountains is a blast. Running the tach to 6000 and power shifting to hear those Goodyears bark, awesome. 1/4 mile times are better
and it is more fun to drive(IMO) because you are more involved in the process.

If it is going to be your daily driver, and you have to drive in traffic it could become a little tedious. John317

·
Premium Member
3,957 Posts
The magazines say it will do 0-60 in 5.29 seconds and the quarter mile in 13.8 which is a vast improvement over the 03/04. I raced a lightning the other day on the highway and my girlfriend asked if his truck was going to blow up when the supercharger kicked in, needless to say he didnt win. It rocks on a 3rd gear drop at highway speed, just sets you back in your seat till redline.

·
Premium Member
1,783 Posts
Hmmmm

2005SSR6Speed said:
The magazines say it will do 0-60 in 5.29 seconds and the quarter mile in 13.8 which is a vast improvement over the 03/04. I raced a lightning the other day on the highway and my girlfriend asked if his truck was going to blow up when the supercharger kicked in, needless to say he didnt win. It rocks on a 3rd gear drop at highway speed, just sets you back in your seat till redline.
You beat a supercharged Lightning??? Don't get me wrong but if you beat an S/C Lightning the guy's foot must have slipped off the gas pedal. I love my SSR but in stock condition I dont think it will turn 11.5 in the 1/4 which the Lightning does with regularity. If he was really trying and you really beat him you should take your exceptional R to the track and time it. Let us know what times you post. JOHN317

·
Registered
230 Posts
a highly modified one might turn 11.5, stock its a mid or high 14 sec. truck
just as heavy as an SSR and less cubes, but alot of aftermarket support
and more people have modified them......................

·
Premium Member
3,957 Posts
It was the newer body style but appeared to be stock. When his truck downshifted and the charger spooled up it didnt do as much as I thought it would. They are clearly a 14 second truck in stock form, and from a roll on the highway I had enough to pull him. I kinda figured I would get spanked on a roll but didnt.

·
Premium Member
3,957 Posts
These are times that are all over the internet and the magazines. The 05 and beyond SSR is going to set a standard. I have owned a 1999 Z28 6 Speed and 2002 Z06 Vette which is a 6 speed. I feel that in stock form the 05 SSR is quicker then most think, but the reputation will get out there eventually.

These are listed from fastest to slowest - I figure this will give a rise to some!!!!!!

05 SSR 6 Speed - 5.29 0-60 and 13.83 sec at 103.38 mph in the quarter mile.
05 SSR Automatic - 5.49 0-60 and 13.95 sec at 99.2 mph in the quarter mile.
04 Dodge Ram SRT10 - 5.66 0-60 and 14.08 sec at 101.64 mph in the quarter mile.
03 Ford Lightning - 6.37 0-60 and 14.68 sec at 98.37 mph in the quarter mile.

·
Premium Member
1,783 Posts
Stand Corrected

2005SSR6Speed said:
These are times that are all over the internet and the magazines. The 05 and beyond SSR is going to set a standard. I have owned a 1999 Z28 6 Speed and 2002 Z06 Vette which is a 6 speed. I feel that in stock form the 05 SSR is quicker then most think, but the reputation will get out there eventually.

These are listed from fastest to slowest - I figure this will give a rise to some!!!!!!

05 SSR 6 Speed - 5.29 0-60 and 13.83 sec at 103.38 mph in the quarter mile.
05 SSR Automatic - 5.49 0-60 and 13.95 sec at 99.2 mph in the quarter mile.
04 Dodge Ram SRT10 - 5.66 0-60 and 14.08 sec at 101.64 mph in the quarter mile.
03 Ford Lightning - 6.37 0-60 and 14.68 sec at 98.37 mph in the quarter mile.
I apologize, I was recalling data from an article I had read while researching the Lightning trying to decide between it and an SSR. Most of the strip times in the mid 11's were from "Johhny Lighting" type mod's. But further research (Dragtimes.com) shows that the Lightning runs mid 12's to mid 13's. I did not see any however as slow as the one you listed above. At least not the supercharged ones.

·
Premium Member
3,957 Posts
No problem, remember that Dragtimes uses the top times posted on a particular vehicle with professional drivers. I remember them posting times in the 11's for the Z06 stock although most cannt accomplish that. I also understand the magazine guys have a hard time with running the times too, they are not professional drivers either. Stock for stock we are all real close (2005 and beyond), too bad the SSR has such a bad rap for being slow after the first drives from the magazines in 03/04.

·
Premium Member
1,783 Posts
4:56 Gears!!

2005SSR6Speed said:
No problem, remember that Dragtimes uses the top times posted on a particular vehicle with professional drivers. I remember them posting times in the 11's for the Z06 stock although most cannt accomplish that. I also understand the magazine guys have a hard time with running the times too, they are not professional drivers either. Stock for stock we are all real close (2005 and beyond), too bad the SSR has such a bad rap for being slow after the first drives from the magazines in 03/04.
4:56 gears should make a BIG difference. It will be interesting to start seeing the times posted by the 456gear/Magnacharger guys. May have to be one of them. I've already pre-ordered the Predator M/T so I can do the gears. I'm a little hesitant on the Magnacharger because of warranty issues, although I hear you can get a drivetrain warranty from Magnacharger.

·
Premium Member
3,957 Posts
Yes, It will be interesting to see what the LS2 will do with the Magnacharger Radix Intercooled Supercharger. I dont know if I would do the 4.56 gears with the supercharger and the 6 speed as I think it will be too low. The Corvette guys had issues with 6th gear when under load of a stroker or forced induction due to the small size of the gear on the shaft. I think first gear is a little low for that much torque already, just my opinion.

I remember my Z06, you could not depress the gas pedal as fast as it would rev, real hard to stay off the rev limiter in first or second because it rev'd so fast.

Magnacharger sells a 36 month 36,000 mile powertrain warranty

·
Resident Rocket Scientist
11,999 Posts
2005SSR6Speed said:
Yes, It will be interesting to see what the LS2 will do with the Magnacharger Radix Intercooled Supercharger. I dont know if I would do the 4.56 gears with the supercharger and the 6 speed as I think it will be too low. The Corvette guys had issues with 6th gear when under load of a stroker or forced induction due to the small size of the gear on the shaft. I think first gear is a little low for that much torque already, just my opinion.

I remember my Z06, you could not depress the gas pedal as fast as it would rev, real hard to stay off the rev limiter in first or second because it rev'd so fast.

The 'catch' on the SSR is that you are turning a 29.2 inch diameter tire so the seemingly low gear ration is not all that low.
My other 'vert has 3.55 gears and a 24.6 inch diameter tire and will spin up way faster than the SSR.
Just food for thought :thumbs

·
Premium Member
1,783 Posts
Not According to Jim G

2005SSR6Speed said:

See Jim G's thread on 4:56 gears for the 6 spd. Haven't you noticed how you are "lugging" the engine at 65mph?? And how you have to downshift to go up a mild grade on the freeway.

·
Premium Member
3,957 Posts
Jim G has an automatic doesnt he? I dont seem to have any problems here in flat coastal California. I just dont use 6th unless I am going over 70 mph. Our 5th gear is the same ratio as the 4th in the automatic cars anyway. The 6 speed is a double overdrive and is not meant to be romped on in 6th. I will keep my 6th for fuel mileage and just build more power, if I do a gear change it will be for 4.11 and that is because of the tire size more then anything. I think the gearing is great with the 6 speed, just need to remember it is a double overdrive and you will need some serious HP to pull in a 0.50 ratio. I dont want to be shifting into 4th gear in the quarter mile either, that was a big problem with the Z06's going too low. The top speed in rated in 5th gear too.

Be real carefull ordering the gears for your 6 speed SSR as it has a 14 bolt 9.5" ring gear. It is bigger the a 12 bolt but not as big as a regular 14 bolt (10.5" ring gear). This is much different then the 10 bolt rear under the Automatic SSR's. I have not dont the research on this rear end yet.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.