Chevy SSR Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Senior Privileged Member
4,101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am led to believe that there is a sticker on the torque converter that contains a 4-digit aphanumeric code that tells us a lot about the torque converter installed on a specific vehicle.

I am also led to believe, by GM's own 2006 SSR brichure, that at some point GM started using a "higher stall" torque converter on the SSR. The brochure is silent on what stall rpm and how much of an improvement this was over whatever stall speed preceded it.

I would ask my contacts at GM that I have been working with since starting on my book, but since GM recently changed its mind and is now looking for what amounts to $5/book royalties from me for their official blessing and rights to add their trademarks (I am going to have to decline their "generous" offer), that might be tacky.

So, if any of you happen to have access to the underside of your SSR anytime soon, I'd appreciate a quick posting on the contents of any sticker you might find on the torque converter.

I hope to be able to develop a theory I have on torque converter stall speed change for the SSR, but I need some raw data first.

Jim G

·
Las Vegas Mob
1,428 Posts
Not too long ago you could simply remove a sheetmetal (or later, plastic) splashsheild and get visual access to the Converter. Nowadays, you have to back the transmission away from the engine - a bit of a job. The small access plate doesn't really show you much and you can't rotate the converter through it.

Blast

·
Senior Privileged Member
4,101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Oh well!

I guess all I can hope for is that if someone does need to take their converter off, they might remember to post the contents of the sticker. Seems like a long shot though.

Jim G

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.