Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HI EVERYBODY, I HAVE A QUESTION.I WENT TO PUT MY ROOF DOWN SATURDAY AND GOT THE TIME OUT MESSAGE. SO BOTH LATCHES RELEASED AS NORMAL BUT THE BOOT COVER DIDN'T OPEN SO I TRIED AGAIN AND I NOTICED IT POPPED UP LIKE IT WAS HUNG ON SOMETHING CHECKED ALL THE RUBBER PUT DIELECTRIC GREASE ON THE DIFFERENT STICKING POINTS STILL THE SAME. I DID NOTICE THE FLIPPER IS CRACKED BY THE DRIVER SIDE HINGE AND HANGS A LITTLE LOWER ON THAT SIDE, DID SOME READING, COULD THIS BE A MICRO SWITCH, IS THE FLIPPER OUT OF ALIGNMENT, ANY ADVICE WOULD BE APPRECIATED.

·
Premium Member
2005 Ricochet Silver
961 Posts
If your SSR is a 2003 may be a warped hinge issue. Early SSRs has a known problem with the boot top hinges being weak and becoming deformed. The old hinges would then cause the boot lid to hang up on the forward edge of the bed cover (check If yours has any indication of the boot lid contracting the front of the bed cover). Your description of the “hangs lower on one side” may indicate a deformed hinge. The hinge was redesigned to be more robust and provide more vertical lift prior to rotating.

·
Premium Member
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If your SSR is a 2003 may be a warped hinge issue. Early SSRs has a known problem with the boot top hinges being weak and becoming deformed. The old hinges would then cause the boot lid to hang up on the forward edge of the bed cover (check If yours has any indication of the boot lid contracting the front of the bed cover). Your description of the “hangs lower on one side” may indicate a deformed hinge. The hinge was redesigned to be more robust and provide more vertical lift prior to rotating.
ITS JUST THE FLIPPER THAT HANGS A LITTLE LOW BUT I'LL CHECK TO SEE IF THE BOOT COVER IS HITTING THE BED COVER WHEN I GET HOME TONIGHT THANK YOU...

·
Premium Member
9,296 Posts
I had a similar issue with my 03. We might have slightly different terminology for components. The flipper (the part that first flips up before the extra section comes up to cover the hole when the top goes down) would start to angle back too early, and would catch the style line at the center of the rear deck cover. The flipper needs to go straight up for a couple of inches before starting to tilt back.

We were very fortunate at the time to have Ed Ivey (SSR engineer) on the forum, and very attentive to early issues. I described the problem on the forum. Ed contacted me, and arranged for a set of the replacement hinges to be shipped to my local dealer. Hinge replacement solved the problem.

I can't remember exact numbers, but I believe the problem was limited to approximately the first 1200 SSRs off the line in 2003. Mine was #567.

·
Premium Member
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I had a similar issue with my 03. We might have slightly different terminology for components. The flipper (the part that first flips up before the extra section comes up to cover the hole when the top goes down) would start to angle back too early, and would catch the style line at the center of the rear deck cover. The flipper needs to go straight up for a couple of inches before starting to tilt back.

We were very fortunate at the time to have Ed Ivey (SSR engineer) on the forum, and very attentive to early issues. I described the problem on the forum. Ed contacted me, and arranged for a set of the replacement hinges to be shipped to my local dealer. Hinge replacement solved the problem.

I can't remember exact numbers, but I believe the problem was limited to approximately the first 1200 SSRs off the line in 2003. Mine was #567.
OK THAT MAKES SENSE, IT IS THE FIRST PART THAT ACTS LIKE IT IS STUCK THEN IT POPS UP AND CONTINUES UP AS IT IS SUPPOSED TO. THE "EXTRA SECTION" IS THE ONE THAT IS CRACKED BY THE HINGE I FOUND A REPLACEMENT FOR THE CRACKED PART GUESS I'LL HAVE TO FIND NEW HINGES. ANY IDEAS WHERE I CAN GET HINGES? MINE IS #284
THANKS FOR YOUR HELP

·
Premium Member
9,296 Posts
OK THAT MAKES SENSE, IT IS THE FIRST PART THAT ACTS LIKE IT IS STUCK THEN IT POPS UP AND CONTINUES UP AS IT IS SUPPOSED TO. THE "EXTRA SECTION" IS THE ONE THAT IS CRACKED BY THE HINGE I FOUND A REPLACEMENT FOR THE CRACKED PART GUESS I'LL HAVE TO FIND NEW HINGES. ANY IDEAS WHERE I CAN GET HINGES? MINE IS #284
THANKS FOR YOUR HELP

Your best contact is likely Mike in AZ (Simple Engineering). I don't know if the hinges are still available from GM. If not, start checking for SSRs that have been parted out, and where the roof section appears undamaged. Make sure is it an 04 or newer truck, to make sure it has the upgraded hinges.

I'll check old conversations to see how far they go back in case the part numbers were there.. My dealings with Ed Ivey were in MayJune of 2004.

UPDATE - Part numbers aren't in that email thread, but Ed at the time said current production hinges would be correct. That was late May 2004.

·
Premium Member
1,612 Posts
Make sure you keep them lubricated. I had the same issue and it was just lack of lubrication.

·
SSR Pit Crew
12,540 Posts
HI EVERYBODY, I HAVE A QUESTION.I WENT TO PUT MY ROOF DOWN SATURDAY AND GOT THE TIME OUT MESSAGE. SO BOTH LATCHES RELEASED AS NORMAL BUT THE BOOT COVER DIDN'T OPEN SO I TRIED AGAIN AND I NOTICED IT POPPED UP LIKE IT WAS HUNG ON SOMETHING CHECKED ALL THE RUBBER PUT DIELECTRIC GREASE ON THE DIFFERENT STICKING POINTS STILL THE SAME. I DID NOTICE THE FLIPPER IS CRACKED BY THE DRIVER SIDE HINGE AND HANGS A LITTLE LOWER ON THAT SIDE, DID SOME READING, COULD THIS BE A MICRO SWITCH, IS THE FLIPPER OUT OF ALIGNMENT, ANY ADVICE WOULD BE APPRECIATED.
NOPE! Normal operation, mine does it also.

Hydraulic System shuts down 30 seconds after you stop using roof. Oil starts to drain to reservoir as designed. GM did not want 1800lbs pressure to stay in hydraulic system constantly.

IF you don't run your roof everyday or once a week, when you push button to lower, it will/could timeout because there is not enough oil in hoses/cylinders, second push of button or maybe third, will put roof in operation.

Adjustment is different problem.

Lot of info on ROOF on my How to Library

Dicktator

·
Premium Member
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
SO, COULDN'T GET BACK FOR A FEW DAYS " IE " HURRICANE SALLEY... I REPLACED THE GUILD BUSHINGS ABOUT A YEAR AGO, I DID FIND THE BOOT COVER CATCHING AT THE MIDLINE OF THE TONEAU COVER I HAVE A SET OF "04" HINGES ON THE WAY, HOPEFULLY THAT WILL SOLVE THE PROBLEM. I WILL LET YA'LL KNOW. THANKS FOR ALL THE HELP...

·
Daily Driver
8,935 Posts
Hopefully the hinges you have coming are for the tonneau cover and not the bed cover. This nomenclature has caused miscommunication in the past.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts