·
One of the SoCal Nuts
28,470 Posts
Reactions: Dan Taylor

·
Just a Canadian Fanatic!!
2004 SSR Ultra Violet
42,812 Posts
$50K is obviously a great price but there are tons of very wealthy buyers attending Barrett Jackson that think of $50K as peanuts. As such, it only takes one that decides he/she wants to add an 'R' to his collection and jumps on it.
Actually it would take two!!:wink2:

·
Premium Member
7,307 Posts
$50K is obviously a great price but there are tons of very wealthy buyers attending Barrett Jackson that think of $50K as peanuts. As such, it only takes one that decides he/she wants to add an 'R' to his collection and jumps on it.
Excellent post TLC5, you are exactly right ... 50 Thousand is Peanuts to most of those "High Roller's" at Barrett Jackson !!! tennesseecozydog :ssr

·
Premium Member
1,313 Posts
You just never know at Barrett's...you guys are right on, if someone with some big money wants something money isn't really a deal breaker. I don't think most of us here on the forum bought these trucks because we thought it would be a great investment. We just liked the uniqueness.

Hey T dog I thought you were a "high roller"

·
Premium Member
7,307 Posts
SSRfanatical Guys & Gals turn your computer brain back to around 1977 and pull up "Smoky and the Bandit" ... Bandit said he needed a speedy car and Big Enos said pay him or give him the cash. Little Enos dolled out several "1000" dollar bills and stopped and Bandit said "speedier than that" so Little Enos peeled of some more cash (and said a few cuss words). The moral of the story CTL5 ... money was just "Peanuts" to Big Enos !!!

CTL5, you are right on it !!! tennesseecozydog :ssr

·
BAD BOW TIE
11,202 Posts
The really high rollers buy 10 to 15 vehicles when they go to the auctions and many are $400,000 to $500,000. So like you say no big deal to them. They want something and money is "NO PROBLEM". Want it---get it!!!

·
RED SLED
439 Posts
More money than brains

Reactions: tennesseecozydog

·
Registered
04 Black, 05 Black, 05 Aqua Blur
3,165 Posts
SSR as an Investment

You just never know at Barrett's...you guys are right on, if someone with some big money wants something money isn't really a deal breaker. I don't think most of us here on the forum bought these trucks because we thought it would be a great investment. We just liked the uniqueness.

As far as an investment, the SSR wouldn't be a very good one, if they bought it new and sat on it for all that time. Look at the total numbers, if they bought it new and paid 43,000 ( I got that price from Google) then sold for 50,000. The sellers fee is 10% so you paid 5,000 your check was for 45,000 on the face. Now what people are not thinking about is there is an extra cost for a better placement on auction day, they charge for cleaning, and transportation so they probably spent another $1000.00 for all of that. So they may have made a whopping $1000.00 for an investment they sat on for 13 years. Now we all know the pleasure of driving them and what that plays into the joy but this owner only drove it like 2000 miles I think. That is only 154 miles a year. I drive that in a week.

Now think about this. If he was married he probably had to listen to his wife complain about owning that cool truck and never driving it.

If he knew any of us he had to listen to the same thing WHY DON'T YOU DRIVE IT?

And most of all now he is going to have to listen to his wife tell him HOW smart of an investment that was now that he made that $1000 on it for 13 years of sitting on it.

And the one that would really hurt. BJ got $5000 from the seller and $5000 from the buyer, they made $10k for that 3 minutes it was on the stage.

·
BAD BOW TIE
11,202 Posts
A guy explained to me one day it is like art or coins or any collector item. As long as you have it and keep it it has no true value. The only time it has true value is if and when you decide to part with it and no longer have it. Then it determines it's true value and that value is what you are willing to take for it and what the new owner is willing to pay for it. As soon as the transaction is done and the new owner plans to keep it then it has no value again. Crazy!!!

·
Premium Member
7,307 Posts

Yea right !!! I'm more like a "low roller" :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: t dog :ssr

·
Slingshot Rules!
73,792 Posts
As far as an investment, the SSR wouldn't be a very good one, if they bought it new and sat on it for all that time. Look at the total numbers, if they bought it new and paid 43,000 ( I got that price from Google) then sold for 50,000.
Clueless where that $43k came from but . . .

Way back in 2004 and early 2005 while shopping for The Doophus, the "sticker prices" were always in the upper $40k to $50k bracket. Plus, on top of that the dozen or so Chevrolet Dealers I visited here in Arizona and New Mexico were adding at least $5k up to about $10k "Additional Dealer Mark-Up" BS.

Bottom line . . . the "out the door" prices including taxes and registration were well into the $60k range.

BLATANT GREED . . . probably why the SSRs were not selling like Hot Cakes as General Motors had originally anticipated.

No wonder I went all the way to Heritage Chevrolet in Auburn, Illinois to adopt THE PERFECT SSR and then drive the 1600 plus miles home.

! :banghead ! :willy: ! :banghead ! :willy: ! :banghead !

·
Registered
3,165 Posts
Clueless where that $43k came from but . . .

Way back in 2004 and early 2005 while shopping for The Doophus, the "sticker prices" were always in the upper $40k to $50k bracket. Plus, on top of that the dozen or so Chevrolet Dealers I visited here in Arizona and New Mexico were adding at least $5k up to about $10k "Additional Dealer Mark-Up" BS.

Bottom line . . . the "out the door" prices including taxes and registration were well into the $60k range.

BLATANT GREED . . . probably why the SSRs were not selling like Hot Cakes as General Motors had originally anticipated.

No wonder I went all the way to Heritage Chevrolet in Auburn, Illinois to adopt THE PERFECT SSR and then drive the 1600 plus miles home.

! :banghead ! :willy: ! :banghead ! :willy: ! :banghead !
So if bought new and held on to it could have been a bad investment money wise. So it once again makes more sense to drive and enjoy the permagrin. :grin2:

·
Premium Member
1,313 Posts
Well to be fairly honest about it there are very few cars you can actually consider an investment. early and mid year corvettes and the Jaguar XKE are what comes immediately to mind. Hey T Dog you will always be a high roller in my mind.

·
SSR Pit Crew
1,890 Posts
I just wish I'd had a working crystal ball back in 1970 when my best (rich) buddy in high school had ragged out his (dad's money)) 1969 Dodge Charger 440 4 speed R/T S/E and bought it from him. I remember how he treated his dad and thinking how I'd be kissing his dad's....if he bought me something like that!

Dave

·
Daily Driver
8,949 Posts
If you had a working crystal ball in 1970 by now you'd be so rich you could go to Barrett Jackson with a super model on each arm and pay too much for anything you want. :glol

·
Registered
3,165 Posts
Heck even into the 80s you could still find cars from the 60s and 70s at reasonable prices and if you knew then to buy them and put them away. So many of us thought they would be around for ever and not many of us had the money to invest and save some of those cars.

·
Premium Member
777 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Bought Mine New

I bought mine new in 2004 for around $45,000. It's now 14 years old. Still enjoy owning it and the comradery with the other owners .....more than just owning a classic car.
I'll probably be buried in it.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts