Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
175 Posts
I believe the 03-04's housing is different than the 05-06's. Someone correct me if I am wrong. kram6

·
Supporting SSR Hobbyist
10,021 Posts
I believe the 03-04's housing is different than the 05-06's. Someone correct me if I am wrong. kram6
You are kinda correct........ The housing and all of the solid pieces are identical. The difference is that the 2005-2006 assembly has the foam seal added. This seals off the hot engine air from the inlet of the air cleaner, thereby improving performance at low speeds and on takeoff. The seal was installed to eliminate the hot engine compartment air from influencing the inlet air temp (IAT), thereby pulling ignition advance out and richening mixture to eliminate the possibility of a "ping". It's all in the computer correction tables for inlet air temp. At a Phoenix stoplight, the IAT will hit over 200 degrees in the summer. That really makes SSR full throttle launches a dog in the summer....

Bottom line...... if you can get an 05-06 housing for installation onto an 03-04, you should do it....

Mike

·
Premium Member
842 Posts
Mike, if I understand you correctly, if I can find the foam kit, I'm good to go?
is anybody making one or is there a part number for the foam? Or maybe a DIY project.

·
Supporting SSR Hobbyist
10,021 Posts
Mike, if I understand you correctly, if I can find the foam kit, I'm good to go?
is anybody making one or is there a part number for the foam? Or maybe a DIY project.
There are three pieces of foam that are needed. One big one on the air cleaner and two small ones on the apron under the air cleaner. The small ones on the apron (not pictured in the photograph) are no longer available. The big one that can be seen in Doc Martin's photograph is no longer stocked at GM..... only available from Vintage Parts.... I think there may be one left at a $45 price tag. It also requires that you purchase two plastic brackets for the sides of the air cleaner at about $20 each. GM is really proud of their small bits.

That said...... I do have one of each of the pieces and have been trying to source the specialized foam to build a "kit". The brackets are easy to build and I have a guy that can die-cut the foam for me.... a source for the foam has been, and is still, elusive.

Regards,

Mike

·
Premium Member
2005 Chevy SSR
808 Posts
Mike,

I would like to get the plastic brackets if they are still available. Just for clarification its the brackets that cover up the slots in front on each side of the air cleaner housing correct?

Tom

·
Supporting SSR Hobbyist
10,021 Posts
Mike,

I would like to get the plastic brackets if they are still available. Just for clarification its the brackets that cover up the slots in front on each side of the air cleaner housing correct?

Tom
The brackets you are asking about are the ones that the foam is stuck to on each side. That is.... the vertical portion of the foam piece that goes up each side of the air cleaner. 15238937 and 15238938 are the bracket part numbers. You should be able to see them in the picture on this parts breakdown..... item #16

https://www.tonkinonlineparts.com/showAssembly.aspx?ukey_product=6093278&ukey_assembly=835153&ukey_make=1086&ukey_model=15863&ukey_driveline=0&ukey_trimlevel=0&modelYear=2005

Regards,

Mike

·
Registered
192 Posts
There are three pieces of foam that are needed. One big one on the air cleaner and two small ones on the apron under the air cleaner. The small ones on the apron (not pictured in the photograph) are no longer available. The big one that can be seen in Doc Martin's photograph is no longer stocked at GM..... only available from Vintage Parts.... I think there may be one left at a $45 price tag. It also requires that you purchase two plastic brackets for the sides of the air cleaner at about $20 each. GM is really proud of their small bits.

That said...... I do have one of each of the pieces and have been trying to source the specialized foam to build a "kit". The brackets are easy to build and I have a guy that can die-cut the foam for me.... a source for the foam has been, and is still, elusive.

Regards,

Mike

Walmart sold a foam kitchen mat. Very dense black closed cell foam. Approx foot and a half by two feet. About ten bucks each. It’s worth a shot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2004 Slingshot Yellow
1,908 Posts
The brackets you are asking about are the ones that the foam is stuck to on each side. That is.... the vertical portion of the foam piece that goes up each side of the air cleaner. 15238937 and 15238938 are the bracket part numbers. You should be able to see them in the picture on this parts breakdown..... item #16

https://www.tonkinonlineparts.com/showAssembly.aspx?ukey_product=6093278&ukey_assembly=835153&ukey_make=1086&ukey_model=15863&ukey_driveline=0&ukey_trimlevel=0&modelYear=2005

Regards,

Mike
Mike this will work and is just the right size. I used this on a Corvette intake mounted with Gorilla 1" clear mounting tape. It's closed cell urethane foam. Brackets can easily be made from anything to provide a flat surface to mount the foam. Foam seal is $3 at Home Depot. I have this on my SSR to do list.
Greg

Attachments

1 - 14 of 14 Posts