Chevy SSR Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Perfectionist
05 Redline, 06 Pac Blue, Spfld, Illinois
724 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anybody ever calipered the center bore on the rear stock wheels?

·
Tech Support/Research
1,794 Posts
Per the (metric) specs, the center bore is 78.3mm on both front and rear wheels.

·
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS
2,022 Posts
While we are getting measurements, does anyone know the F&R Rotor diameter?
Any suggestions on what to replace OEM rotors & pads with??
Solid/Vented not drilled/slotted.
Thankx

·
Perfectionist
724 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks fellas

·
Registered
04 Black, 05 Black, 05 Aqua Blur
4,199 Posts
Thankx
When it comes to the brake rotors it gets down to a person preference. The drilled, slotted, are more for looks than actual performance gains on most street applications of brakes. One ting about the drilled and slotted is that most aren't able to be turned down like a solid rotor can be. On that same note most places don't turn rotors any more because the cost has gotten so cheap that it is easier to mark up the price of the brake job and put on new rotors.

If you are auto crossing with your truck then the drilled and slotted may give a little more heat transfer out of the rotor, but pads are where you will see the most difference.

The drilled and slotted do look good in the wheels on our trucks.

·
Registered
04 Black, 05 Black, 05 Aqua Blur
4,199 Posts
78.3 mm = 3.082677 according to Google. My cheap caliper could be off by .032677 😆

·
Premium Member
2005 Chevrolet SSR manual transmission
755 Posts
Thankx
Although it doesn't directly answer your question, read through this post for some interesting thoughts on brakes: Stopping distance.
I have seen some conflicting figures as relates to specs, but I think rear rotors are the same on all years, front smallest to largest diameter are 03/04, 05,and /06.
If what I have read is correct the 06 front rotors are about 1/2" larger than the 05 and could be installed with the 06 caliper brackets, calipers are the same but I think the real 06 pads are a different shape. Thus the 06 P&R would be the preferable brake if it would work. I think this issue was hashed out long ago but I have a hard time finding old threads that I was not a participant in. I wish a knowledgeable Fanatic would chime in here. Not a specific recommendation, but go to the PowerStop website to see the variety of brakes available depending on usage/price. I would go with the drilled & slotted rotors combined with the pads I consider best for my ends. They dissipate gas and dust upon hard braking and the drilling might do away with a little more heat thus less fade, they do generate some noise, though, compared to flat, undrilled units. I have used their parts on multiple vehicles with no complaints.
$.02
If this conversation continues we should probable start a new thread & not hijack this one.

·
Perfectionist
724 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hijack away! I got my info already!!! Interesting abt the rotor size

·
SSR Believer
2,128 Posts
Installed PowerStop Z36 Extreme drilled and slotted rotors, calipers and pads a little while back. Everything still worked well, but the pads were pushing 15 years old and on inspection were flaking and pretty brittle. Could have gone stock, but found a screamin' deal on the whole PowerStop kit at the time. Agree with @tuckerred1948, more for looks than performance, at least in our case. (y)

SSR Front Brake Job Before After 120120.jpg SSR PS Z36  Rear Brake 2.jpeg SSR Front Brake 4.jpeg

·
Premium Member
04 SSR
3,471 Posts
Installed PowerStop Z36 Extreme drilled and slotted rotors, calipers and pads a little while back. Everything still worked well, but the pads were pushing 15 years old and on inspection were flaking and pretty brittle. Could have gone stock, but found a screamin' deal on the whole PowerStop kit at the time. Agree with @tuckerred1948, more for looks than performance, at least in our case. (y)

View attachment 595947 View attachment 595948 View attachment 595949
Drilled and slotted rotors do look nice. But the red calipers are the icing on the cake.
Nice looking, thanks for sharing.

·
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS
2,022 Posts
Let's not lose track of the hijacked topic.
I need to replace rotors and pads not sure what to use. OEM has worked well for 93000 miles.
Blue calliper dust covers Look and work well.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts