Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Watching it takes me back to earlier times. Would like to attend sometime.

·
Genuinely SSR Obsessed
8,055 Posts
I used to watch it years ago but then the cars just got way too radical for me. Seems like most of them did belong on the strip and none of them could drive for any length of time on the streets in traffic.

So I kinda lost interest. I much prefer real street machines. But that's just me. :)

Attachments

·
Premium Member
432 Posts
I watch, but lately prefer JJ ‘da Boss’ from Memphis as those cars aren’t so radical. The other are more NHRA like races with a cash purse at each event and a larger finishing purse. Still beats the rest of the crap that passes for entertainment or comedy.

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Liked it better when it was on the street! I know, I know that's unsafe....pretty much how I lived in my younger days! My '55 ain't on its 7th engine cause I drove like your grandma!
This sesson is back on the street again.

·
Premium Member
2,447 Posts
Street Outlaws... Who watches it?
Been there since episode #1. We had a big underground street racing scene, back in the 60s and 70s in the Motorcity, that I was heavily involved in. I can relate to a lot of what's on the show!

·
Premium Member
2,447 Posts
Well its better than most of the other stuff on TV but not much real in reality TV
The OKC and No Prep deals are pretty straight up racing - don't know about the Memphis show, but JJ seems like a cool dude!

·
Registered
2,039 Posts
Been there since episode #1. We had a big underground street racing scene, back in the 60s and 70s in the Motorcity, that I was heavily involved in. I can relate to a lot of what's on the show!
I was into it big time in the 80s and if you had a 9 second street car you had something. But we drove our stuff and did not trailer it nor did we have tv crews or even want cameras around because after all it was illegal and the last thing you wanted was a picture of your car racing on the street to show up in the wrong hands. I even remember some girl at a race with a disposable camera taking picture and it got taken away and destroyed right there in front of her. We always tried to keep it down to a bare minimum of who was going to were we raced at. We didn't want it to be a spectator sport. And it was always amazing my car only out ran everyone by about a car length no matter how fast the other car was.

One other big difference for us back then, we were racing for maybe a couple of hundred dollars not thousands of dollars like they do now. And many times people on the sides making bets made more money then the people who owned the car and could get the other guy to bet.

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I had a '69 442 when I was young, (wish I had it now) and we used to do amateur street racing. Took the bait back then and I've never been able to spit out the hook.
I could do without the TV drama on the show but I do like to watch the real racing.

·
Premium Member
2,447 Posts
I was into it big time in the 80s and if you had a 9 second street car you had something. But we drove our stuff and did not trailer it nor did we have tv crews or even want cameras around because after all it was illegal and the last thing you wanted was a picture of your car racing on the street to show up in the wrong hands. I even remember some girl at a race with a disposable camera taking picture and it got taken away and destroyed right there in front of her. We always tried to keep it down to a bare minimum of who was going to were we raced at. We didn't want it to be a spectator sport. And it was always amazing my car only out ran everyone by about a car length no matter how fast the other car was.

One other big difference for us back then, we were racing for maybe a couple of hundred dollars not thousands of dollars like they do now. And many times people on the sides making bets made more money then the people who owned the car and could get the other guy to bet.
Yep, similar deal with us - no trailered cars and must have mufflers! Could drive 5 or 10 miles out to the spot, race, then drive back. We tried to keep the "Strokes" away, but sometimes the crowds would get large and we'd have to change the spot again.

In '72, when I returned from the Army, 10.80s was top of the food chain. That was a Hemi Belvedere known as the "Silver Bullet" that the Ramchargers group had their hands all over. It was a trick lightweight car with a four Cadillac muffler exhaust system - quite quiet for how fast the car was. My '69 Javelin, with AMC power, was 11 teens through the mufflers and was about a fifth place car. I also drove a '67 Shelby Mustang for my Boss. It was an FE 454 stroker combo, with some rare Nascar tunnel port heads - big mph car! It was a third place car and could have had a shot at the top, but he really didn't want to lighten it or change much from stock on the chassis.

Same thing on the money- a hundred or two usually and five was a real big deal! Had a lot of late nights as the big races wouldn't go off until after midnight. I was very fortunate to have survived that period of my life! After the birth of my Son, I quit the street and went strip racing.

·
Premium Member
2,447 Posts
I had a '69 442 when I was young, (wish I had it now) and we used to do amateur street racing. Took the bait back then and I've never been able to spit out the hook.
I could do without the TV drama on the show but I do like to watch the real racing.
Could have had a good street race back then, my '69 Javelin 390, 4 speed and your 442!

If you haven't, you should check out "Drag Week" next fall. It's the ultimate street car challenge! They race 5 different drag strips on five consecutive days and have to drive 200-300 miles between the tracks! Tom Bailey from our local track ran the first ever 5 second (1/4 mile) pass this past year @ Drag Week and won the unlimited class again!

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
It would be a hoot for all us old "street racers" of the past to meet up some time, share war stories and toast to the "good 'ole days". None of us would leave sober.

·
BLU SSR
2,088 Posts
Could have had a good street race back then, my '69 Javelin 390, 4 speed and your 442!

If you haven't, you should check out "Drag Week" next fall. It's the ultimate street car challenge! They race 5 different drag strips on five consecutive days and have to drive 200-300 miles between the tracks! Tom Bailey from our local track ran the first ever 5 second (1/4 mile) pass this past year @ Drag Week and won the unlimited class again!
If they have to drive, not trailer, the one they are racin' between the tracks I am interested.
Anybody can spend unlimited time and money to make a fast car that they race on the street, but the real street racing is your daily driver that you depend on to get to work! The trick was to find the balance between speed and reliability and be able to fix what you broke before Monday morning!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts