Chevy SSR Forum banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Premium Member
328 Posts
It's almost as bad as the stupid arguments on the chopper build shows or American Pickers, but it sucks me into watching!

·
Premium Member
1,173 Posts
street outlaws has replaced wrestling at our house. it is so unprofessional , rules change, no accurate timing or finish line monitoring. The new 100k show needs some kind of graphics as to progress of the competition. Entertaining yes, reality no

·
Premium Member
2,447 Posts
Two words for street racing for me were NITROUS OXIDE. Ahh the good old days.
Yep, I was there from the very beginning of nitrous. It was brutal for quite a while and today will still cause carnage if you're not careful! Moroso built some early plates with removable spray bars that we'd use to concoct our own percentages by drilling different sizes and patterns. Needless to say, many pistons were sacrificed to learn something. One customer of mine, with a sbc in a sand drag jeep, would melt down the engine every time out. It got where I was ordering 24 Venolia pistons every couple of weeks for his consumption.

·
Premium Member
2,447 Posts
You can script the drama, but you can't sctript the racing.
Exactly correct, the racing on the OKC and No Prep shows is as real as it gets!

·
Premium Member
2,447 Posts
If they have to drive, not trailer, the one they are racin' between the tracks I am interested.
Anybody can spend unlimited time and money to make a fast car that they race on the street, but the real street racing is your daily driver that you depend on to get to work! The trick was to find the balance between speed and reliability and be able to fix what you broke before Monday morning!
Yes, they must drive the cars the complete distance, with no support vehicles allowed. There are check points along the way to verify that they follow the route to the next track. They'll typically drive over 1,000 miles to complete Drag Week!

·
Premium Member
2,447 Posts
street outlaws has replaced wrestling at our house. it is so unprofessional , rules change, no accurate timing or finish line monitoring. The new 100k show needs some kind of graphics as to progress of the competition. Entertaining yes, reality no
Um, that's what street racing is - get two individuals to agree on some rules and race! Once again, the racing part is the real deal!

·
BLU SSR
2,088 Posts
Yes, they must drive the cars the complete distance, with no support vehicles allowed. There are check points along the way to verify that they follow the route to the next track. They'll typically drive over 1,000 miles to complete Drag Week!
Yikes! No support vehicle means you better carry your tool box! Probably a few roadkill victims. Sounds like a super event, thanks for letting us know about it!
Just google Drag Week to find out all about it. The tracks are in Martin,MI - Norwalk,OH - Indy,IN - and Byron,IL , Dates are Sept. 13-18. The Byron,IL location on Sept. 17 is the one I am looking at. Thanks again for the heads up!

·
Premium Member
2,447 Posts
Yikes! No support vehicle means you better carry your tool box! Probably a few roadkill victims. Sounds like a super event, thanks for letting us know about it!
Just google Drag Week to find out all about it. The tracks are in Martin,MI - Norwalk,OH - Indy,IN - and Byron,IL , Dates are Sept. 13-18. The Byron,IL location on Sept. 17 is the one I am looking at. Thanks again for the heads up!
Wow, that's a great group of tracks for this year! Norwalk is really a great venue and also is known for its "Pound of ice cream for a buck"! Martin is also a very nice facility and I'll probably try to catch that ending there. That's when everyone really lets it all hang out as their tow rigs are parked there!

The cars are allowed a 4'x8' trailer and most drag one along packed full of tools and parts. Looks really ridiculous seeing Tom Baily's Pro Mod Camaro dragging a trailer behind it!

·
Premium Member
2,447 Posts
Good show tonight - my Detroit guys moved on! Don't really know any of that group as they're all No Time racers. They have two races a month at Milan Dragway where the clocks are shut off and that's where they compete. Lots of yelling and betting and general mayhem - not my cup of tea! They have some extremely fast iron though and will be in the mix for that 100k.

21 - 30 of 30 Posts