Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Over the last two weeks I have "tried" to look at the Pin Map.

When it was just the the USA map it would down load in about 30 seconds for my viewing.

Since the new World map it will come up with the map in about 60 seconds and then lockup.

Nothing works, not even "Ctrl/Alt/Delete.

Have to reboot computer to get out of it, and go my marry way.

Do I have to pay to go to the new Pin Map?

Skip

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
No pay needed.

For what it's worth I have the same problem when I open the map in I.E. If I let it wait long enough the map shows up. (it's a very, very, long wait)
This is on XP(home) SP2 with I.E. 6.0.

I get past the apparant lockup by hitting the key combo <window-m>. This minimizes all open windows, and it get control back and can do other things while the map sorts it's self out.

If your problem is the same as mine, I can only suggest you download the Firefox Browser and make it your default.

I need some help from all Fanatics. Those who are NOT having problems, please report what combination of OS and browser you are using. Please Include versions.

For that matter if you are having problems please report the same info and a description of the problem.

·
Supporting SSR Hobbyist
10,062 Posts
Glenn,

Windows XP Pro, SP2, Latest version and current updates.
IE 6.0.2900.2180.xpsp_sp2_gdr.050301.1519
Cox broadband connection
Macafee (latest version) with current "files"

No hangups or lockups
15 second load time
consistently good. :thumbs

Regards,

Mike

·
Boop Op A Doop
30,422 Posts
Windows XP Home Edition Service Pack 2
IE 6.0.2900.2180.xpsp_sp2_gdr.050301.1519
Lan/High Speed Internet Connection
AVG Virus Protector (lastest version)

No problems here either. Loads quickly and dosen't lock up.

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
Internet Explorer and the pinmap.

OK I've been doing some Googling.

It seems that IE has some problems with .png files.

PNG is a graphic format used frequently in Google Maps. Many of the map images and the graphics are png. As are the pins themselves.

There is an I.E. exploit involving maliciously formed png files.

It seems that MS has "plugged" that security hole by disabling the particular png software instead of fixing it. (That is only one of many possible reasons why the map performs poorly with I.E.)

I hate to be a broken record, but please try the Firefox browser to view the pin map.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
beer100

Thank you for the help!

With the luck I"ve been having (not) with my tail gate this weekend I was afraid to open up my computer. :lol

Skip

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
After more googleing.

There is an IE setting that may be causing IE to check to see if the icons have been changed, EVERY SINGLE TIME AND ICON IS PLACED ON THE PAGE.

In IE goto:

Tools>Internet Options>General Tab>Settings button>
Check for newer version of stored pages: check the radio button for AUTOMATICALLY.

I set that and my map retrieval went from minuets to seconds, 3 or 4.

The problem setting is when "Every visit to the page" is selected. This causes IE to check the server every time an icon image is drawn on the page.

Hope this solves the problem.

·
Premium Member
2,252 Posts
Just went to check out the map and noticed the new feature. It's great having the names on the side bar. Makes it much easier to check locations. Great work, Beer.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts