Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone seen or purchase a bike rack or sothing to carry bikes to the beach. It is spring time and time to start ridding again. I can't buy the trailer hitch version because the SSR does not have a standard hitch. :flag

Please Help?????

·
Registered
54 Posts
(assuming you mean bicycles) how about one of the racks designed for vans and car tops - looks kinda like a ski rack with suction cups. I'm thinking maybe you could "mount" it on the cargo cover.
or, you could just take the cargo cover off... :)

·
Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
:) Thanks KewlRide for metioning this I for got all about it. I am going to look into it tomorrow. Sorry about the spelling I am at work and it is getting late here on the east coast. I am trying to hurry up and leave so I can go to the local hang outs and piss off some more Benz owners that think that have something with there SL or CLK or SLK convertibles. :cool

·
Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I just sent you a message.

I work at the Pentagon and I drove it to work Tuesday and Friday. It might have been me. I keep the car parked at my girlfriends house on Capitol Hill.

·
Registered
110 Posts
solution

I faced the same dilema.
My solution was to get the square receiver part of a hitch, and bolt it to the top of the ssr hitch where a ball would go. You can then use any receiver accessory available. Then simply unbolt it if you want to use a ball

·
Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
geunther,

How has that worked out for you. I would to see a pic of it if you have one. I will go and look into it. Where did you get the parts. Was it a local parts store or something from GM.

Thanks

·
Registered
110 Posts
I went to a local farm and ranch suppy. But any trailer/rv/camping supply store should have what you need. Maybe even a welding shop that builds hitches. They should sell just the receiver (reinforced square portion) You will probably have to drill a vertical hole on the opposite end of the reinforcement and horizontal hole, for wich to bolt to the ssr hitch.

I will try and get you a picture.

Of course it wont be strong enough to pull a trailer, but will handle a few bikes or one of those storage racks.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Bike Rack

geunther said:
I went to a local farm and ranch suppy. But any trailer/rv/camping supply store should have what you need. Maybe even a welding shop that builds hitches. They should sell just the receiver (reinforced square portion) You will probably have to drill a vertical hole on the opposite end of the reinforcement and horizontal hole, for wich to bolt to the ssr hitch.

I will try and get you a picture.

Of course it wont be strong enough to pull a trailer, but will handle a few bikes or one of those storage racks.

I'd sure would like to see a picture of this modified trailer hitch. Any chance of taking a picture and posting?

S

·
0 Posts
Photo of the Hitch

Geunther Yes, Please attach a photo of your design. I just bought a set of 180 skis and it don't fit in the back. A hitch ski rack is just the ticket. It's better than driving down the mountain with the top down. Bought the skis at the resort, good thing it was a warm day.

Question, did you have to drill a second hole to keep the box from twisting?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts