Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,352 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I had a local machinist build me a supercharger tank to match the rad tank from Dragon2U.

I got the rad tank to a mirror finish, and will now do the same with the supercharger tank before installing it.

I had the machinist move the inlet from the intercooler to the side of the tank, rather than continue using the molded hose and the front mounted inlet. That hose always seemed to be close to collapsing at the bend. Also had a sight glass installed.

I installed Mike in AZ's heater hoses, which are routed across the firewall, then down low, under the tank, exposing the billet valve cover. Looks so much better, and makes polishing the valve cover somewhat doable.

I will add another photo once the tank is polished and installed. Still have do do some minor modifications to the mounting bracket to move the tank back slightly because the side inlet was mounted about 1/2" from the back of the tank, which interferes with the bend in the AC line. I drew it on the plastic tank to be against the back wall, but it didn't quite get mounted as requested.

The bung for the sight glass was done first, and was welded from the outside. He then remembered what we discussed, and welded the two hose connectors and the top opening from the inside before assembling the tank. He does nice work. The cap threaded area and the two hose nipples were milled from solid aluminum rod and hollowed out.

It's not a perfect project, being a one-off, but it will look much better than the milk jug Magnuson supplies.

Mike/Dragon 2U had no rad tanks in stock, so had this one manufactured and shipped in an unfinished state. If I had been on my game, I would have asked to have the sight glass mounted on the side panel facing the engine instead of the front. The supercharger tank will hide it a bit, but bright orange fluid is fairly easy to spot.

Attachments

·
I DO WINDOWS
8,825 Posts
I have lost interest in the R, I need something like this to get me going again. This looks good. Good to see people still making mod's.

I was waiting for Mikes two in one design, that might look a little cleaner yet, and not crowd the jumper box.

·
Premium Member
9,352 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have lost interest in the R, I need something like this to get me going again. This looks good. Good to see people still making mod's.

I was waiting for Mikes two in one design, that might look a little cleaner yet, and not crowd the jumper box.
Mike's two-in-one design would be a much cleaner look, but I'm aging by the day, and wanted to get the under hood stuff done while I can still enjoy showing the truck. Some health issues starting to rear their ugly heads.

Very happy with his new hose design.

Mike showed me the prototype of the rad tank two years ago at the Beach Cruise. Really nice design and quite a bit more capacity. Attaching the supercharger tank to the front was very appealing.

I could still end up with that tank down the road, and give someone else a sweet deal on these two tanks. For now, polished aluminum looks much better than crappy plastic.

·
Super Moderator
13,973 Posts
Mike's two-in-one design would be a much cleaner look, but I'm aging by the day, and wanted to get the under hood stuff done while I can still enjoy showing the truck. Some health issues starting to rear their ugly heads.

Very happy with his new hose design.

Mike showed me the prototype of the rad tank two years ago at the Beach Cruise. Really nice design and quite a bit more capacity. Attaching the supercharger tank to the front was very appealing.

I could still end up with that tank down the road, and give someone else a sweet deal on these two tanks. For now, polished aluminum looks much better than crappy plastic.
That would be me - looks great Ray! :thumbs

·
Premium Member
9,352 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Reactions: mikebike

·
Super Moderator
13,973 Posts
You need a supercharger first.>:)
I assumed that would be included?
I know you mention 2 tanks, but thought the main tank would work.
Figured I could sell the second tank to recover the absurdly low price you would give me as a great buddy

·
Premium Member
9,352 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I assumed that would be included?
I know you mention 2 tanks, but thought the main tank would work.
Figured I could sell the second tank to recover the absurdly low price you would give me as a great buddy
That would be absurd.

·
Premium Member
9,352 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

·
Premium Member
9,352 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Tanks polished and installed. Everything is working well

Want to hazard a guess how long it took to grind, sand and polish the weld around the sight glass bung.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
9,352 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
On to the next project. Having the same machinist build me a clutch reservoir. Getting rid of one more piece of plastic under the hood.

I hope to have it in time for the Beach Cruise.

Reactions: REBEL

·
Premium Member
9,352 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Best Bling is functional bling. shinny with function.
I tried to keep the shiny stuff as practical as possible. The only "bolt on" stuff is the really nice caps that Dragon 2U builds. All the stock caps under the hood are covered. The valve covers came with their own milled cap, which gave me one spare to use on the supercharger cap.

When I was at his shop with the drawings of what I wanted, I expected him to build it out of 2 1/2" aluminum pipe with welded top and bottom. He found a piece of 2 1/2" solid round stock, and says he can build it in one piece without any welds, including milling in the threads for the cap.

If he does it that way, the only weld would be to attach the mounting tab. A two piece bolt-on bracket would be nice, but much more complex and costly to build.

It would make it a pretty unique piece, but I told him I'd rather he kept it simple and quick so I can have it mid-June. Easy enough to grind, sand and polish the welds. He would still mill the top, so not sure which is quicker. He tends to prioritize projects by how much of a challenge they are, so not sure mine rises to the top of the pile.

Reactions: REBEL

·
Premium Member
3,337 Posts
another one?

I would be very interested in the clutch tank. I don't need it polished because mine is black on black and I will paint it.

Any chance he wants to make an extra?

Dave

·
Premium Member
9,352 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I would be very interested in the clutch tank. I don't need it polished because mine is black on black and I will paint it.

Any chance he wants to make an extra?

Dave
Hi, Dave

I will check with him on building two of them. Top will be threaded to fit the stock reservoir cap, and bottom threads will be cut for a 1/8 NPT x 1/4 barbed. I don't know yet if the hose is 1/4" or 5/16" but the 1/8 NPT is available in both barbed sizes.

He is not the quickest, so no guaranteed time to completion. I also don't have a price on it yet. He spent quite a bit of time on the supercharger tank, and still sold it to me for the quoted price.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts