Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, it has been about 4 1/2 months since the install. When I left Sunday morning heading to the car show, I noticed a slight chirping sound from under the hood. I pulled on down the driveway and it went away. No big deal. Later that evening I heard a strange noise from under the hood. It is as if you can hear the rollers rubbing together in the S/C. It is not loud and goes away with slight throttle. When engine is cold, there is no noticeable noise at all and the chirp is gone all together.

It is at the shop. They are going to talk to Magnacharger tomorrow and see what they think. The shop thinks it cold be a bearing.

I talked to Magnasun today. Jeud is gone and I believe the guy I talked to was Brad. He said he cold not be sure. I asked what could cause that. He said belt tension. They supply the new belt. I wonder if, like the intake gaskets, they sent the wrong belt.

I think a failure, if infact that is what it is, after just over 4 months is ...

Who knows, it might just be what it sounds like after wearing in. I have probably only put about 750-1000 miles on it.

Should know more tomorrow...
...to be continued

Scott

·
Registered
421 Posts
Me too!

I had a chirp as well. It was just the belt. I put some $4 belt dressing on it and now all is quiet.

·
Premium Member
3,577 Posts
1HOT12C said:
Well, it has been about 4 1/2 months since the install. When I left Sunday morning heading to the car show, I noticed a slight chirping sound from under the hood. I pulled on down the driveway and it went away. No big deal. Later that evening I heard a strange noise from under the hood. It is as if you can hear the rollers rubbing together in the S/C. It is not loud and goes away with slight throttle. When engine is cold, there is no noticeable noise at all and the chirp is gone all together.

It is at the shop. They are going to talk to Magnacharger tomorrow and see what they think. The shop thinks it cold be a bearing.

I talked to Magnasun today. Jeud is gone and I believe the guy I talked to was Brad. He said he cold not be sure. I asked what could cause that. He said belt tension. They supply the new belt. I wonder if, like the intake gaskets, they sent the wrong belt.

I think a failure, if infact that is what it is, after just over 4 months is ...

Who knows, it might just be what it sounds like after wearing in. I have probably only put about 750-1000 miles on it.

Should know more tomorrow...
...to be continued

Scott

I have had my Magnacharger on for 21 months and 8,000 mile and no noise yet.

·
Premium Member
3,926 Posts
I can get you a new belt if that is what it is. There are other brand belts out there that are quieter. I have not had any noise out of mine and I have almost 2000 miles on mine. Tell me if you need anything I will help you out.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm not sure what I need

I'm not sure I have a real problem. It could just be me. I would like to think that maybe it is a belt transfering some noise or vibration. I don't have a clue and the noise is not loud. I just have never noticed it before. If anyone has any ideas, I'm all ears.:grouphug :lol

scott

·
Registered
41 Posts
i had the same problem from day one (i believe it was caused by the slick gates label on the belt). i just went down to the local parts store and bought a goodyear "gatorback" belt and the issue went away.

regards,

ken zeller

·
I DO WINDOWS
8,825 Posts

Since this is getting all the “Magnacharger owners” attention in one post. Can any with an automatic give me feedback, on their ye ha level …. Meet or exceed your hopes before adding it on. Hope you don't mind Scott :grouphug

·
Registered
56 Posts
From an automatic owner?

In fact most of the time I am on autopilot never mind automatic!

Installed the Magnacharger two weeks ago now on my 2003 Auto SSR.

Not only was I really impressed with the packaging and attention to detail in the kit - really the best I have come across! also the service from Joe (2005SSR6speed) was perfect.

Apart from a 'nicked' fuel pressure regulator o ring (my fault) trhe install took me a total of 8 hours start to finish in my own garage with standard tools and the installation manual - the only bit that I didnt plan on was losing all the coolant when I kicked over the container after carefully draining it!!

Results - almost silent (slight belt whine) and smooth power. Extremely pleased. Very Happy - in fact as we say over here "dead chuiffed".

Recomended upgrade - only teeny problem is that now I want more of the same - much more in fact.........:)

The only modification that I made was to swap all the wiring loom covers from standard issue plastic to Kevlar cloth which I got hold of. Looks much nicer!

Hope this helps sway your decision!!

Robin

·
I DO WINDOWS
8,825 Posts

YEP thats enough for me. I now know what my overtime money this summer is saving up for. We all feel the tranny will hold up with the box tune.:yesnod :nodno :yesnod

·
Registered
186 Posts
SuperCharger

Well Rebel i have had a mangacharger for two months now not many miles but fun fun.The installer from manga charger noticed the belt being off set a bit and pretty close to pulley so they gladly machined a new one for me installed lined up and have more space from belt to pulley went with there tune for now as you say to keep tranny and rear end in tact.But now when i drive like i own the rode Iam really happy with that power now smiling so ya i give them a thumbs up all the way and MangaCharger is a great company to stand behind there product.:party

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks Joe

The shop that installed the S/C wants to pull it and return it to Magnasun. They would raher be safe than buy an engine. I guess I'll be down a couple of weeks but I will have piece of mind when it returns.

This SSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCKs

:nodno :nopity :glol :glol

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Itttttttssssss back

Magnuson said that all checked out ok. They said it got damaged in shipping. They had to replace the fuel crossover, rear secondary pulley and belt. They tore the s/c apart and inspected it. They had to replace the front bearing as a result. While it was torn down they cleaned the entire s/c and greased the rear bearings according to Dave. They even polished it up in a few places.

It should be back together late tomorrow morning.

·
Premium Member
17,317 Posts
English Gent said:
In fact most of the time I am on autopilot never mind automatic!

Installed the Magnacharger two weeks ago now on my 2003 Auto SSR.

Not only was I really impressed with the packaging and attention to detail in the kit - really the best I have come across! also the service from Joe (2005SSR6speed) was perfect.

Apart from a 'nicked' fuel pressure regulator o ring (my fault) trhe install took me a total of 8 hours start to finish in my own garage with standard tools and the installation manual - the only bit that I didnt plan on was losing all the coolant when I kicked over the container after carefully draining it!!

Results - almost silent (slight belt whine) and smooth power. Extremely pleased. Very Happy - in fact as we say over here "dead chuiffed".

Recomended upgrade - only teeny problem is that now I want more of the same - much more in fact.........:)

The only modification that I made was to swap all the wiring loom covers from standard issue plastic to Kevlar cloth which I got hold of. Looks much nicer!

Hope this helps sway your decision!!

Robin
Pictures of the wiring loom covers?

·
Premium Member
779 Posts
Supercharger Noise/Performance

I have noticed a different kind of noise from under the hood and this is to be expected due to the mechanical changes that were made by adding the SC. As you know the stock engine runs as quite as a watch. I think I am hearing more of a gear clatter at slow speeds do to gear train backlash. However as soon as you ever so slightly depress the throttle the noise goes away.

I did have a scare just before the Laughlin run that maybe some of you other Supercharged owners have experienced. When running WOT the engine just slowly lost power to a point that I thought it was binding up from some kind of mechanical failure. I popped the trany into neutral and it would rev to 6K no problem. So I thought well it must be the fuel filter plugging. So I changed it and the problem remained. I had about 1/8 tank fuel so I pulled into the station and filled it up and the problem went away. I can repeat the problem by letting the fuel level get down to 56 miles left before running out of fuel.

As far as performance! Well someone that went on the Laughlin run took pictures of a burnout made by a supercharged SSR. I don't know if the burnout was 82.5 feet our not but chances are if Rebel installs a SC he will see that SSR come to life.

In my case the supercharger was a real asset to the vehicle’s performance and chances are I will add a SC to every vehicle that I purchase from here on out. I think it is key to buy a kit that includes the entire system from hardware to the tuner. The Magnuson Radix unit is an engineered solution and it should provide years of trouble free performance and excitement.

·
Registered
5 Posts
So in real terms what performance improvements do you realize 0-60 for example? If a stock 05/06 automatic is 5.5...might it dip to 5.0 or even 4.8 with the SC??? If not....how much extra horse is need?

I traded my 02 Viper (daily driver) for the ssr because of continued and worsening back ache and the GTS was so noisy and a handful to drive every day in all weathers. After 1 month, I am enjoying the ssr and my back feels wonderful.... but I do miss the brutish force and torque

1 - 20 of 51 Posts