Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Magnason Radix Supercharger came with a pulley that was slightly smaller than the OEM pulley it replaced.

What would happen if I replaced it with a bigger pulley? More or less boost and/or horsepower?

What would happen if I replaced it with a smaller pulley? More or less boost and/or horsepower?

Or, nothing would happen?

Oh, and how in the world do you change that belt on the rear of the supercharger without having to take the entire unit off the car?

MJJ

·
Premium Member
3,926 Posts
The front pulley is a 3.0" pulley and will give about 6 PSI Boost. If you were to change the front pulley to a 2.9" pulley it would give you about 6.5 PSI Boost. The pulleys increase boost when reduced in size and decrease boost when the pulley size is increased. Remember that custom tuning would be needed to increase boost so you dont run lean and destroy the engine.

The rear pulleys need to be serviced by Magnuson and take a special removal tool. You will void the 3/36 MagnaCharger warranty by modifying the supercharger.

·
I'm not cool...
2,096 Posts
I think he was talking about the one on the crank. I havant got that far in the supercharger install manual, does it come with a different one?
I dont know exactly why I'm reading the manual, not owning a SC:flag

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks!

:thumbs

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
One more question!

I now understand that the supercharger came with a 3" pulley and that it puts out 6 pounds of boost. If I go to a 2.9" pulley, I will get about 6.5 pounds of boost, but will need a custom tune to correct the air/fuel ratio. So, all that I understand.

My question is, assuming that a custom tune going with it is a given, how much boost can you go - safely? And what size pulley would be needed?

I've been told that the 3" pulley and the 6 pounds of boost is VERY CONSERVATIVE and VERY SAFE.

I certainly do not want to blow my engine, but some more kick would be good.

For example, our SSRs idle at 550 RPM and redline at 6500 rpm. To put it on those same terms and that same guage, my understanding is that the 3" pulley and 6 pounds of boost is as safe as driving down the road at 2500 RPMs. I certainly do not want to redline, but 3,500 RPMs is a lot faster and is still very much within the "safe zone."

So, with that in mind, what is the smallest pulley anyone would suggest and what will the resulting boost be?

Thanks!

Matt :)

·
Premium Member
3,926 Posts
Matt

I can tell you that a 2.9 pulley will give you about 6.5 psi and a 2.8 pulley will give about 7 psi. I know that Lingenfelter did 7 psi on a test engine about 6 months ago. I can not recommend increasing the boost without a custom tune. If you want to use a smaller pulley I would have to say you need to see a real reputable tuner so you don't blow your engine up. I nor Magnuson are able to recommend a pulley that is smaller for liability sake. There are tuners out there that are tuning for 2.8 pulleys on LS2 GTO's.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts