Chevy SSR Forum banner
1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Thank you Nick.
Nick and I have been working on having the tailgate open fully when raising the lid. It has been a group effort. I have been working on this since Nick brought out his "FIX". My "fix" is not pretty but it works.
When I originally connected the lid and tailgate release I blew the fuse box fuse on the lid release a couple of times. This spooked me because of possible damage to the RDM (maybe, maybe not, I did not wont to take chances) so I disconnected the link.
I have added third relay that isolates the lid and tailgate circuit from the fuse box. I am using a 5 amp fuse instead of the 25 amp on the lid circuit.
I now have three options of access to the bed, remote control opens lid and tailgate, small switch at driver door opens lid and tailgate, another small switch at the door fully opens the tailgate only.
Check TXNSSR post for Video link. 2nd post down.

Jack

·
Registered
OBNOXIOUS Red 2004
443 Posts
Thank you Nick.
Nick and I have been working on having the tailgate open fully when raising the lid. It has been a group effort. I have been working on this since Nick brought out his "FIX". My "fix" is not pretty but it works.
When I originally connected the lid and tailgate release I blew the fuse box fuse on the lid release a couple of times. This spooked me because of possible damage to the RDM (maybe, maybe not, I did not wont to take chances) so I disconnected the link.
I have added third relay that isolates the lid and tailgate circuit from the fuse box. I am using a 5 amp fuse instead of the 25 amp on the lid circuit.
I now have three options of access to the bed, remote control opens lid and tailgate, small switch at driver door opens lid and tailgate, another small switch at the door fully opens the tailgate only.
Video click on the link , click arrow to play. Facebook - log in or sign up

Jack
Link didn't work

·
One of the SoCal Nuts
ROTM 1/2016 - 2006 PacBlues 376 & 29
30,232 Posts
Looks like it works!

Reactions: Mr. Bill

·
Premium Member
3,385 Posts
Look towards the area where the tailgate comes up to the body.
View attachment 614832
Angle in youtube video doesn't show the "poppers" that are maybe/kinda showing in this picture at the left. It looks like you have them installed further down than I had planned. Were your poppers (adjustable) as to length/pressure for opening but not too strong to close back up?

·
Premium Member
3,385 Posts
Thank you Nick.
Check TXNSSR post for Video link. 2nd post down.

Jack
"I have added third relay that isolates the lid and tailgate circuit from the fuse box. I am using a 5 amp fuse instead of the 25 amp on the lid circuit. "

Did you get power from the behind the passenger seat fuse box and if so which circuit did you piggy back on or did you go from the battery direct to your relay and other wiring to snake back into the cab.???

·
Premium Member
9,272 Posts
"I have added third relay that isolates the lid and tailgate circuit from the fuse box. I am using a 5 amp fuse instead of the 25 amp on the lid circuit. "

Did you get power from the behind the passenger seat fuse box and if so which circuit did you piggy back on or did you go from the battery direct to your relay and other wiring to snake back into the cab.???
This is what I used right off battery with in line fuse. No chance of interfering with anything else electrical.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,385 Posts
Sorry for the delay. Had (and have) all kinds of house projects going on....

:unsure:
Is there any "adjustability" to the gas strut used by Nick. I got one of his (I assume just like yours), but in the video, yours appears to drop fairly quickly. Mine from being manually held vertically so that when I let go, it will fall open on its own, it takes a full 10 seconds to come to a stop. As my plans proceed to build my own battery powered tailgate opener and also install "poppers", I would really like the gate to drop quicker if possible.

·
Premium Member
2,384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
You will have to ask Nick which one you have. I understand there is a cylinder for heavy tailgates.
Jack

·
Premium Member
21 Posts
You will have to ask Nick which one you have. I understand there is a cylinder for heavy tailgates.
Jack
This tailgate and lid opener arrangement is really cool. are there any plans that you have put together that can help other members make their tailgates work in the same way. Details, directions and a parts list would be super cool. I know you have worked on this for a long time so some compensation would be totally appropriate. Please let me know or the community know if anything like this of it is available. Thanks so much.

·
Premium Member
2,384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
The bracket that lets you unlatch the tailgate comes from Nix's Fix. Contact Nick. Nick provides the information on the solenoid kit that works with it.
You are right I have tried numerous ways to get the tail gate to go over the center and go down then by gravity. Some worked a short time, some didn't work more than once or twice. The ones I have on the truck now are working but require frequent "tuning".
I have a new set that I am getting ready to install that I think will work and be reliable. If they are I will show pictures, parts required, how to modify those parts.
I do not do this for monetary gain, only to enjoy my truck more and make new ideas available so that other truck owners can enjoy their truck.
However what I do is not involved and does not require large amounts of time or expense. What bothers me is for some of our "members" to copy what is presented on this forum by someone that has put a lot of effort, time, money and ideas to develop a product for sale and start selling that product in competition with the person that developed the product. Somewhere down the line someone is going to have a great idea that would really make out trucks more enjoyable or reliable. But that product will not be developed because the person knows that it will be copied as soon as he sells the wrong person his product. And we all lose because some people lack ethics.
The picture shows the bumper before trimming the skirt.
Jack

·
Premium Member
2006 Pacific Blue 6 speed Custom
5,609 Posts
Reactions: Dr.V
1 - 20 of 69 Posts