Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
2006 Aqua Blur 22578
1,436 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone concerned about the potential for a voltage spike damaging the SSR's computer/electronics thru long term connection to a trickle charger? I think I'm going to plug the charger into a surge protector...seems like cheap insurance.

·
Administrator
PEDIGREE SSR
8,652 Posts
Good Idea using surge protector

It sounds like a good idea to me... while we are on the topic of trickle chargers I have been thinking of using one of those myself. Does anyone have a few brand names and or places where one can buy them at?

·
Registered
60 Posts
trickle charger

i would recomened battery tender xlnt product have been useing it on my motorcyles for years and iam waiting on one for my 05 ssr, you can find them at just about any parts store or look in any performance magizine or look up on web at www.battery tender.com. burt

·
Registered
62 Posts
Trickle Charger

I have used The Battery Tender for the last two years with no problems. It is spark proof. I have had electical spikes and the tender seems to handle them without any damage to key componets.

·
Jeff & Terri
1,120 Posts
I have been using the battery tender for over 10 years on my cars and motorcycles and have never had a problem with them. One of the units is the orginal I bought 10 years ago. The other one is about 5 years old. They have changed the units a little in this time.

·
Premium Member
2006 Aqua Blur 22578
1,436 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Marc NY said:
It sounds like a good idea to me... while we are on the topic of trickle chargers I have been thinking of using one of those myself. Does anyone have a few brand names and or places where one can buy them at?

I bought the "Battery Companion" Model SEM-1562A made by Schumacher. It came with a quick connect harness that can be left permanently attached (or you can connect the supplied clamps to the the quick connector on the charger) Also can be used on 6 volt battery. I think it was 25-30 bucks.

·
Premium Member
1,215 Posts
I think it would be wise to get a Battery Tender. They cost about $50.00 But you have a $50,000.00 Truck. So why skimp on something that may screw up your SSR. :smash

·
Premium Member
2006 Aqua Blur 22578
1,436 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Mason57 said:
I think it would be wise to get a Battery Tender. They cost about $50.00 But you have a $50,000.00 Truck. So why skimp on something that may screw up your SSR. :smash
I checked the Battery Tender website. I don't see anything really different about this unit than the Shumacher...except the Battery Tender doesn't have a switch for 6 or 12 volt operation. Am I missing something special about the Battery Tender?

·
Registered
410 Posts
:ssr The one at wall mart does the same thang as the battery tender. It charges the battery and cuts off. When the voltage drops it comes back on.:ssr :flag

·
Premium Member
364 Posts
Marc: Here's another vote for Battery Tender. I got mine on line, check out other comments. I just hope it's ok for long term storage. Scheide.

·
Administrator
PEDIGREE SSR
8,652 Posts
Getting one

Scheide said:
Marc: Here's another vote for Battery Tender. I got mine on line, check out other comments. I just hope it's ok for long term storage. Scheide.
Thanks for everyone's input ... I will be going out to find one this week during our Holiday shutdown period. I am thinking of using the outlet in the back cargo area instead of connecting it directly to the battery. Any thoughts on which might be the best way? :)

I just remembered there is another thread on that very topic.:rolleyes:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts