Chevy SSR Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Planning to replace the rear coil springs on my 04 that I purchased three years ago. The springs, however, are red in color. I assume they are not stock. The truck sits fairly level ant the measurement of the center of the wheel well and the ground is a fraction over 30". Could this truck already have been lowered or is the measurement closer to stock. Hoping someone who has lowered their truck give me a comparison measurement. Thanks in advance.

·
SSR Believer
2,983 Posts
Planning to replace the rear coil springs on my 04 that I purchased three years ago. The springs, however, are red in color. I assume they are not stock. The truck sits fairly level ant the measurement of the center of the wheel well and the ground is a fraction over 30". Could this truck already have been lowered or is the measurement closer to stock. Hoping someone who has lowered their truck give me a comparison measurement. Thanks in advance.
Correct, SSR OEM springs are black. (Have a set if anyone wants them!)

On the rear we have Mike’s lowering springs and Bilstein Sport Shocks with Continental 295/40 ZR 20 tires. Ground to center wheel well is 29” with no load.

Ride and handling with the recommended Bilstien front lowering shocks is excellent BTW.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for your reply. Mine at 30 +" suggests that my springs are stock.

·
SSR Believer
2,983 Posts
Thanks for your reply. Mine at 30 +" suggests that my springs are stock.
Happy to be of service!

I may be mis-remembering, but I have the stock height with OEM wheels and tires as 31” in my head.

OEM springs are black. Chances are the red springs you have are Eibach. It'll take close inspection but they usually have their logo printed on them.

The original owner had installed Eibach springs on ours (not red) and the ride felt "bouncy". Granted it had the original shocks so that didn't help, but installing the Simple Engineering lowering springs and new Bilstein shocks really made quite a difference.

Since yours has aftermarket springs, I'd start by replacing the shocks on all four corners (if you can afford it) first. That will most likely make the biggest difference.

If you do replace the front shocks, be aware that most retailers list the same shocks for SSRs that they list for the same year Trailblazer. They are NOT the same thing. TB shocks are taller and will change the height, handling and ride. At minimum, get the front shocks specifically made by Bilstein for Simple Engineering.

For reference the front height with OEM springs and Simple Engineering lowering shocks is 28" on ours.

If you do replace the front shocks, be sure to get it aligned to @Dicktator's specs (attached).

My $.02. Hope that helps!

Coil spring Automotive lighting Font Cylinder Plastic

Attachments

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks. Your information really helps. I have a set of Gabriels that someone gave me but now I will rethink using them.

·
Premium Member
'06 FPR Smokin Asphalt; '04 Ulta Violet
5,764 Posts
@fingram, Consider clicking on the Colored Letter/Picture, top far right corner, go down to "Account Settings", click, and fill in your information. Especially your LOCATION and the year of your SSR, like the rest of us. Then go the the left side and click on "Signature". Also put the year of your SSR in your "Signature", and anything else you want to show in your posts, and we can help you better if you have a problem. When you finish click the "SAVE" box.

Nick

·
SSR Believer
2,983 Posts
Thanks. Your information really helps. I have a set of Gabriels that someone gave me but now I will rethink using them.
If they're new the Gabriels may be fine for the rear.

I accidentally said "If you do replace the front springs, be sure to get it aligned to @Dicktator's specs (attached)." I meant to say that If you do replace the front shocks, be sure to get it aligned to @Dicktator's specs (attached). Of course if you did replace the front springs for some reason, it should be aligned as well.

Hope that helps and let us know how it goes!

·
Registered
04 Black, 05 Black, 05 Aqua Blur, top secret can't say anything about another one
5,533 Posts
Changing shocks will not change the alignment, but it is still a good idea to get it checked and set if needed.
I checked my 2 un lowered trucks and bot are about 30-30 1/2 inches

·
SSR Believer
2,983 Posts
Changing shocks will not change the alignment, but it is still a good idea to get it checked and set if needed.
I checked my 2 un lowered trucks and bot are about 30-30 1/2 inches
In my post I was referring to replacing the front shocks with Simple Engineering’s Bilstein lowering shocks. That will require a front end alignment (per Mike). I can confirm that to be true after installing them.

Of course there’s no need for an alignment after installing new rear shocks.

·
Registered
04 Black, 05 Black, 05 Aqua Blur, top secret can't say anything about another one
5,533 Posts
Ahh yes if lowering then yes it will change. I thought the original post was about just changing shocks. Thanks Rich.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for all the great information. Since I am the third owner of the truck and I now know that the suspension components have been replaced from original and I am not having any issues, I've decided to hold off for a while. #richsadams mentioned that aftermarket suppliers list SSR shocks as the same as for the Trailblazer. Upon research I've found this to be true considering the set of Gabriels that I have. Question, what brand of struts and shocks were used originally? Certainly not Bilsteins.

·
Supporting SSR Hobbyist
10,619 Posts
Thanks for all the great information. Since I am the third owner of the truck and I now know that the suspension components have been replaced from original and I am not having any issues, I've decided to hold off for a while. #richsadams mentioned that aftermarket suppliers list SSR shocks as the same as for the Trailblazer. Upon research I've found this to be true considering the set of Gabriels that I have. Question, what brand of struts and shocks were used originally? Certainly not Bilsteins.
OEM shocks were actually from Bilstein. GM owns that specific part number, so it is not available from Bilstein directly and there are no more at GM.
The SSR has a different spring installed position than all the Trailblazers... that means that Trailblazer shocks will make the front of the SSR sit about 3/4" higher than the correct SSR shocks. After twisting the arm of Bilstein at SEMA for about 5 years, they finally gave in and created the aftermarket shocks for the SSR. We had to leave an SSR with their engineering group in San Diego for a couple weeks to make it happen. As a result, there is now a listing for the SSR in the Bilstein catalog. Available in lots of places, including from me.

Just the facts,

Mike

·
One of the SoCal Nuts
ROTM 1/2016 - 2006 PacBlues 376 & 29
29,683 Posts
Just my opinion, but if you are going to pay shipping you should seriously consider buying from Mike in AZ since he did the Lobbying that made this happen.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
OEM shocks were actually from Bilstein. GM owns that specific part number, so it is not available from Bilstein directly and there are no more at GM.
The SSR has a different spring installed position than all the Trailblazers... that means that Trailblazer shocks will make the front of the SSR sit about 3/4" higher than the correct SSR shocks. After twisting the arm of Bilstein at SEMA for about 5 years, they finally gave in and created the aftermarket shocks for the SSR. We had to leave an SSR with their engineering group in San Diego for a couple weeks to make it happen. As a result, there is now a listing for the SSR in the Bilstein catalog. Available in lots of places, including from me.

Just the facts,

Mike
Well heck. Now I'm really confused. Were the OEM Bilsteins blue and yellow in color as they are today? If so, that is the color of the struts on my truck now which begs the question, are these the original or have they been replaced. I cant imagine why an owner would replace the rear springs and shocks ( springs are red and shocks are silver) and not replace the front as well. As mentioned before, I'm not having any suspension issues as yet but when it comes time Simple Engineering will be my go-to place. Thank you for being there.

·
One of the SoCal Nuts
29,683 Posts
Well heck. Now I'm really confused. Were the OEM Bilsteins blue and yellow in color as they are today? If so, that is the color of the struts on my truck now which begs the question, are these the original or have they been replaced. I cant imagine why an owner would replace the rear springs and shocks ( springs are red and shocks are silver) and not replace the front as well. As mentioned before, I'm not having any suspension issues as yet but when it comes time Simple Engineering will be my go-to place. Thank you for being there.
I am sure that if you send a Conversation to Mike in AZ he would clear it up. He is NOT unapproachable! Click on his Avatar and then on the word MESSAGE near the bottom of his profile.

Reactions: richsadams

·
One of the SoCal Nuts
29,683 Posts
I am sure Mike in AZ would be able to clear that up for you if you ask. Click on his Avatar and then on the word MESSAGE near the bottom of his profile. He is NOT unapproachable.

·
Premium Member
2006 Pac Blue 6-Speed
1,002 Posts

Just the facts,

Mike
I'd like to echo @BlueStreak and suggest that SSR Fanatics purchase shocks from @Mike in AZ / Simple Engineering. Mike spends countless hours researching and reengineering products for our trucks, and in cases like this one, leveraging his relationships with OEMs to make replacement and enhancement products available as our trucks (and us) continue to age. Mike offers several versions of the shocks that are tailored for you, whether you are a cruiser or a bruiser.

IF the cost is a bit more than Amazon or Jegs/Rock Auto/other internet retailers, ask yourself if the information necessary to procure the part, or the part itself, would be available without Mike's efforts. Also ask who at those huge retailers will answer your call and bail you out when you have a question about installation.

Mike makes the parts available, helps us maintain and improve our trucks, and answers our phone calls. He deserves our business.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts