Chevy SSR Forum banner
21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Supporting SSR Hobbyist
10,619 Posts
I'd like to echo @BlueStreak and suggest that SSR Fanatics purchase shocks from @Mike in AZ / Simple Engineering. Mike spends countless hours researching and reengineering products for our trucks, and in cases like this one, leveraging his relationships with OEMs to make replacement and enhancement products available as our trucks (and us) continue to age. Mike offers several versions of the shocks that are tailored for you, whether you are a cruiser or a bruiser.

IF the cost is a bit more than Amazon or Jegs/Rock Auto/other internet retailers, ask yourself if the information necessary to procure the part, or the part itself, would be available without Mike's efforts. Also ask who at those huge retailers will answer your call and bail you out when you have a question about installation.

Mike makes the parts available, helps us maintain and improve our trucks, and answers our phone calls. He deserves our business.
FIRST….. to answer the question from @fingram ….. YES. The OEM Bilsteins were yellow with blue boots.

Bilstein is very strict about their MAP (Minimum Advertised Price) pricing. Those that violate their policy get cut off…. They are really strict about it. I am compliant and sell them for MAP.

Regards

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
FIRST….. to answer the question from @fingram ….. YES. The OEM Bilsteins were yellow with blue boots.

Bilstein is very strict about their MAP (Minimum Advertised Price) pricing. Those that violate their policy get cut off…. They are really strict about it. I am compliant and sell them for MAP.

Regards
Thanks. That clears up that mystery. But the question remains, are mine original equipment or have they been replaced with newer Bilsteins? Surely if they were original, problems would have appeared by now. So far no bouncing or swaying, The truck holds curves like a go-cart.

·
Premium Member
2005 Chevrolet SSR manual transmission
975 Posts
Thanks. That clears up that mystery. But the question remains, are mine original equipment or have they been replaced with newer Bilsteins? Surely if they were original, problems would have appeared by now. So far no bouncing or swaying, The truck holds curves like a go-cart.
Maybe not! My truck handles well too, but the left front shock is blown out. Once I found the problem, I noticed that over speed bumps v-e-r-y s-l-o-w-l-y the front, particularly left, will fully compress and bottom out as the truck drops off of the bump, otherwise, you would never notice the problem driving the truck. I suggest looking at the front shocks below the boots and if there is any sign of oil they must be replaced. I have a set of Mike's front sport Bilsteins waiting for better weather to replace along with a few other front-end parts recommended on the Forum. I have already replaced the rears with Mike's along with his lowering springs and what a difference. The rear rides like a new truck even though there were no obvious issues with the original rear shocks other than one boot having deteriorated. I think the valving in the new sport version is substantially different than the originals, much more compliant.
My $.02 for what it's worth

·
SSR Believer
2,983 Posts
None of our OEM Bilstein shocks had any leaks at 55K. Marked difference after replacing them with Mike's Bilstein shocks though. Firmer, tighter feel, improved cornering and smoother ride.

·
Premium Member
2006 S/C Silver & 2006 Pac Blue 6spd
1,304 Posts
Thanks. I'm convinced.
I’ve personally replaced over 20 sets of R shocks front and rear at tech days. I have not found one R that didn’t improve substantially with the new shocks. A tell is the updated rears are thicker than the standard OEM. Co-pilots and pilots both comment on the improved ride.

21 - 28 of 28 Posts