Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,216 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:|
OK, I'm exploring Summit Racing as a source for my new gear set.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/mgr-gm9-5-456

On the same page, they recommend the R&P "installation kit". It has shims, and bearings and gaskets, etc. So, it must mean that the R&P set itself does not come with all the necessary items to complete the install??

An associated question is (posi traction), do these SSRs (standard trans version) with the Eaton RE............do they have posi or not???:smile2:

·
Registered
2,992 Posts
You need a ring and pinion set plus a bearing/gasket/install kit.

Nothing against Motive gear but ya might wanna consider American Axle as they were OEM parts and are top quality.

I got mine at Ron's Machine service. Great service, good prices and quick delivery. They have an ebay store as well.

·
Premium Member
2,216 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

Nothing against Motive gear but ya might wanna consider American Axle as they were OEM parts and are top quality.

I got mine at Ron's Machine service. Great service, good prices and quick delivery. They have an ebay store as well.
:smile2:
Thanks, I'll check out those sources too.

·
Premium Member
2,625 Posts
OK, I'm exploring Summit Racing as a source for my new gear set.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/mgr-gm9-5-456

On the same page, they recommend the R&P "installation kit". It has shims, and bearings and gaskets, etc. So, it must mean that the R&P set itself does not come with all the necessary items to complete the install??

An associated question is (posi traction), do these SSRs (standard trans version) with the Eaton RE............do they have posi or not???:smile2:
Yes, the Eaton axle uses a clutch style posi unit - use the GM posi additive with the axle lube.

Reactions: KiwiUSA

·
Premium Member
2,625 Posts

Not sure that you'll find 4.56 gears in A.A. for the 9.5" axle. Yukon is also a great choice for the 9.5 axle.

·
Premium Member
2,625 Posts
Reactions: REBEL

·
Premium Member
2,216 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Not sure that you'll find 4.56 gears in A.A. for the 9.5" axle. Yukon is also a great choice for the 9.5 axle.
Yup you are correct as far as what I was able to find. A.A. does make a 456 for GM, but it's for the 11.5 Silverado axle.

I did see the Yukon R&P, but I thought it showed as being made in China. I'll have to look at the sites again to be sure. If you used Yukon and have a 456 unit, is it fairly quiet and yes I understand the "set up" by the mech can make a lot of difference in how quiet they can end up being.:wink2:

·
Registered
2,992 Posts
Oops... my bad. You are talking 6spd not auto. Guess I need to put on my glasses when I read these posts.

·
Registered
63 Posts
give the guys at henderson driveline in cleveland ohio a call. The guys name is Terry and he is great. They did the 4.10 swap in my 05 ssr and i am very pleased with it. He got the gears and everything and did the work. great job and took about 2 day. motordoctor

·
Super Moderator
13,943 Posts
I have Yukon 4.56's - not even a whisper out of them

·
Premium Member
2,216 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yes, the Eaton axle uses a clutch style posi unit - use the GM posi additive with the axle lube.
Topspin..........

I've found a potential source and installer up in Raleigh, N.C. They are known as East Coast Gear Supply and that is their whole business.

I priced out the Yukon Gear set and install kit and mentioned to the tech rep there that I believed the SSR had a posi rearend and did that make any difference in what I might need to make the gear swap.

He said yes. He said (as you did above), that the orig posi unit is clutch style and prone to have problems. He said if it failed, it would take out other parts and make the whole "fix" a lot more expensive.

So, he highly recommended a Detroit True Trac....which he said is gear driven and much stronger. I got a quote of (out the door, tax included) for the total job of $1500 WITH the Detroit True Trac or $900 without including the True Trac.:|

I'm not looking to drag race or get on it too much or many times, but not sure if (Detroit True Trac is worth the extra $$$).

What do ya all think.:surprise:

·
Premium Member
2,625 Posts
Topspin..........

I've found a potential source and installer up in Raleigh, N.C. They are known as East Coast Gear Supply and that is their whole business.

I priced out the Yukon Gear set and install kit and mentioned to the tech rep there that I believed the SSR had a posi rearend and did that make any difference in what I might need to make the gear swap.

He said yes. He said (as you did above), that the orig posi unit is clutch style and prone to have problems. He said if it failed, it would take out other parts and make the whole "fix" a lot more expensive.

So, he highly recommended a Detroit True Trac....which he said is gear driven and much stronger. I got a quote of (out the door, tax included) for the total job of $1500 WITH the Detroit True Trac or $900 without including the True Trac.:|

I'm not looking to drag race or get on it too much or many times, but not sure if (Detroit True Trac is worth the extra $$$).

What do ya all think.:surprise:
I wouldn't switch to the True Trac unless you had very serious performance goals.

·
Premium Member
350 Posts
I had installed 4.56 Motive Gears in my previous 04 SSR and 05 SSR 6speed. I just purchased 4.56 Motive Gears for my 03 SSR. I do my own install and never had a whine/noise. Unfortunately, due to working out of state I can't install them in the 03 SSR till later this year.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts