Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm planning on installing a DAB+ receiver (european digital radio) along with a iSimple connect ISGM655 in my SSR.

Ideally the receiver would only be powered when the stock radio is on.
Is there a wire on the car radio harness that I can splice to control a Relay to switch power to the receiver?
(or when the iSimple is operating as the receiver will use it's aux input)
I wil tap into the sigarette lighter or one of the power outlets for power, but those are powered all the time.

Additionally, is there a wire I can splice from to control a relay to change one of the power outlets to only be powered when the key in in acc or run position?

Or even beter with the battery rundown protection timer of 10 minutes after the key is turned to off position
(actually I dind't check yet if the timer actually works for the lamps, but I'm pretty sure the timer doesn't apply to the power outlets as the manual states)

·
One of the SoCal Nuts
28,462 Posts
I'm planning on installing a DAB+ receiver (european digital radio) along with a iSimple connect ISGM655 in my SSR.

Ideally the receiver would only be powered when the stock radio is on.
Is there a wire on the car radio harness that I can splice to control a Relay to switch power to the receiver?
(or when the iSimple is operating as the receiver will use it's aux input)
I wil tap into the sigarette lighter or one of the power outlets for power, but those are powered all the time.

Additionally, is there a wire I can splice from to control a relay to change one of the power outlets to only be powered when the key in in acc or run position?

Or even beter with the battery rundown protection timer of 10 minutes after the key is turned to off position
(actually I dind't check yet if the timer actually works for the lamps, but I'm pretty sure the timer doesn't apply to the power outlets as the manual states)
I would like to suggest that you check out the Ultimate Drive and order one from Dinerman. It will have a lot of the information you will be looking for as you care for and modify your new Cruiser.

·
SSR Pit Crew
12,783 Posts
Be very careful, OEM Radio is also our security system. We have Multiplex wiring, do NOT splice any wires.

Suggest you PM Ed Borland aka ED in Fl, he is our electric guru and has installed a number of radios. You need special "pig tail".

Dicktator

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The ultimate drive seems something nice to have :smile2:

I'll try to PM Ed Borland aka ED in Fl, but I still have to make some posts first before I'm able to.

I will be very careful, I like to be well prepared before tinkering on the :ssr, don't want to mess things up.

·
Enjoying life as it comes
5,205 Posts
I will be very careful, I like to be well prepared before tinkering on the :ssr, don't want to mess things up.
That is the best way to go about working on your SSR.

Plan it all out and get as much information as you can about the process before making any changes.

Like they said above adding a pig tail (basically a plug with a "Y" between the original plugin) behind the radio is the best way to go about it.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've been googling around a bit, the correct name of the wire I'm looking for seems to be a
radio turn on wire or radio remote wire,
as industry standard it's supposed to be a blue wire with a white stripe (might be another color on the ssr radio harnass if present)

The iSimple module package includes a adapter cable to put between the radio harness and the radio itserlf, also providing a connector for the iSimple module itself.
is this adapter calbe called a pig tail?

I have some T-shaped connectors to put around a cable to splice it,
even though there seems to be a blue wire with white stripe in the adapter cable (might remember that one wrong),
it seems not a good idea to splice it because it is multiplex wiring and the radio is part of the security system?

Is there a cable I can safely splice with a T-connector thats only powered when the key is in acc or run position?

·
One of the SoCal Nuts
28,462 Posts
I've been googling around a bit, the correct name of the wire I'm looking for seems to be a
as industry standard it's supposed to be a blue wire with a white stripe (might be another color on the ssr radio harnass if present)

The iSimple module package includes a adapter cable to put between the radio harness and the radio itserlf, also providing a connector for the iSimple module itself.

even though there seems to be a blue wire with white stripe in the adapter cable (might remember that one wrong),
it seems not a good idea to splice it because it is multiplex wiring and the radio is part of the security system?

Is there a cable I can safely splice with a T-connector thats only powered when the key is in acc or run position?
If the adapter cable is supplied by the manufacturer and powers the device you are installing It would seem that the installation instructions should tell you how to hook things up. If there is nothing there then the next best thing would be to check out this thread and wire in the relay you are asking about.

·
Super Road Rocket Pilot
6,323 Posts

There is no "amp power wire" in the SSR. I have installed a few aftermarket stereos in the R and other cars and familiar with what you ask are asking about. The OEM amp and radio look to be continually powered when the truck is running according to the schematics. This truck is heavily controlled by Class 2 serial data from the main computer for even simple things like powering the lights.

Your best option would be to power the unit on with keyed accessory power as described in the link that BlueStreak posted for you above. I have used taps from the rear fuse box to power LEDs and other accessories and that location works well.

The next best option would be to remove the OEM radio and install an aftermarket unit with bluetooth, reverse camera, nice LCD screen, etc from Pioneer or similar. Most all of the aftermarket radios have the amp/accessory wire you seek that powers on an amp only when the radio is on. Sadly, this option is rarely if ever on an OEM radio.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
The instructions to install the iSimple ISGM655 device is the easy part,
https://isimple.com/catalog/professional-installed-kits/isgm655

but I'm adding another device (DAB) using the line in of the ISGM655 device to get the audio to the radio,
I want that device to only power on when the radio unit itself is powered on.

Additionally that extra device (DAB) has some lit buttons, another reason not to keep it powered all the time

The extra device (DAB) actually is powered trough USB,
I'll have to check when the USB port of the ISGM655 is powered
as that might be an good option to use as power source for the extra device (DAB).

Using one of the spare slots can also be a good sollution, I actually have a few unused mini fuse adapters,
only have to find a way to get the cable from the fuse box to the dashboard without being in sight.

Edit: so it seems there isn't an "amp power wire",
I think that it will thus be powered with keyed accessory power then,
as I already assume the USB port on the ISGM655 will be powered all the time because it's also rated 2.1amp to charge your phone

·
Super Road Rocket Pilot
6,323 Posts
Using one of the spare slots can also be a good sollution, I actually have a few unused mini fuse adapters,
only have to find a way to get the cable from the fuse box to the dashboard without being in sight.
Run the new power wires along the existing wire bundle along the door sill area. Not the one with the SSR letters molded into it, the one that is between that part and the seat. A push pin in the front near the kick panel pops out, then there are just 3 clips underneath that will loosen when you pull up. Also, pop off the passenger kick panel. Then all you do is route the wire along the existing cable bundle, up the kick panel area then behind the dash to where you want to mount your accessory.

·
One of the SoCal Nuts
28,462 Posts

but I'm adding another device (DAB) using the line in of the ISGM655 device to get the audio to the radio,

Additionally that extra device (DAB) has some lit buttons, another reason not to keep it powered all the time

as that might be an good option to use as power source for the extra device (DAB).

as I already assume the USB port on the ISGM655 will be powered all the time because it's also rated 2.1amp to charge your phone
Just run the wire though the console, being careful not to run near anything that moves and maybe contain it in some split loom. Under the dash end of the console you will be able to get under the carpet to get up to the dash.

·
One of the SoCal Nuts
28,462 Posts

Just run the wire though the console, being careful not to run near anything that moves and maybe contain it in some split loom. Under the dash end of the console you will be able to get under the carpet to get up to the dash.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts