Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've always used the Mobil 1 synthetic ATF because I thought it was better. However, I just got my Yank torque converter today and Yank says that they DO NOT reccomend ANY synthetic ATF.

What's up with that?

·
Registered
192 Posts
Did you ask them why they didn't recommend synthetic? I suspect it is something along the lines of what drimola suggested. IMO the benefits of synthetics are so well documented I can't really see a reason not to... other than cost maybe.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Amsoil, Matt, is the way to go! I have 5 gallons of it in the garage just waiting for the tranny project.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Here is how Yank responded:

"Synthetics fluids are great in motors because everything is metal to metal where you want the least amount of friction you can get.

Not the same in a transmission where you have friction material such as clutches and bands and lockup clutches in the converter. You can get things too slippery and have issues with those items."

·
Registered
192 Posts
matjow said:
"Synthetics fluids are great in motors because everything is metal to metal where you want the least amount of friction you can get.

Not the same in a transmission where you have friction material such as clutches and bands and lockup clutches in the converter. You can get things too slippery and have issues with those items."
What is "too slippery"? GM has gone to a new standard for transmission fluids called Dexron VI. Though it doesn't specifically call for a synthetic fluid, to tmeet these standards will essentially require at least a synthetic blend, and probably a Group III synthetic. If the above statement were true, why would GM be headed in this direction?

In applications such as a tranny, one important property of the fluid is its viscosity. The viscosity is independent of whether the fluid is a synthetic or petroleum based. You can make either type of fluid either more or less viscous. A synthetic fluid meeting GM Standard Dexron III will have the proper viscosity for this standard. But, a synthetic will resist thermal and oxidative degradation better than conventional transmission fluids, protecting clutches, planetary gears, valves, pumps and seals from damaging sludge and varnish deposits as can be seen here:
AMSOIL ATF

:cheers

·
Registered
86 Posts
Wildcat69 said:
Amsoil, Matt, is the way to go! I have 5 gallons of it in the garage just waiting for the tranny project.

Were you talking about something? sorry, :reddevil your avatar is just too distracting...

·
Registered
51 Posts
too slippery?

i dont buy the idea that synthetics are" too slippery" to work well in an a/t. motorcycles use wet clutches with friction materials, and the high shear stability of motorcycle synthetic oils allow them to not only lubricate the engine but funtion in the transmission and clutch . if an aftermarket company does not recommend synthetic atf fluid with their product, i would visit with them to isolate " why" .

·
Registered
217 Posts
I put amsoil after 350 miles or less on the engine. I red lined it from day one. Drove it like I stole it . Put mobile 1 in trany after 10000 and put amsoil in rear end. Reason for mobil 1 was that is the only type they had that I would settle for. Boy a lot of quarts foer that trany. Either mobile 1, red line, Royal purple or amsoil. I like amsoil the best. No problems, getting super chargerput on it tuesday 2-19-06. :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts