Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
SSR FAMILY MEMBER
1,611 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I came back from Denison Texas last month with no troubles at all. My SSR sat in the garage for about two week when I decided to take it into town. I left the house and went just over a mile and the transmission started to make some noise and started to slow me down like it was binding up. I pulled over and waited a couple of minutes and put it in gear and drove it to the chevy dealer five miles away. I asked the service manager to check and see if my rear seal in the transmission had blown and if it had run low on oil. They had to push it away from the building because they couldn't get in reverse and drove it on a lift. He removed the plug from the transmission and it was full of oil but he said it smelt burnt. The transmission uses automatic transmission fluid instead of 80-90 like they use to put in stick transmission. Does that mean it has a pump like a automatic transmissions have to lubricate the bearings and gears? Does that mean that it's best not to have it rebuilt if it got that hot? The dealer said it would cost me $6,000 to get a new one and they had one in stock in Pontiac, Michigan. I went to the parts department and told him the trucking company I worked for was GM Certified and I delivered GM parts to the GM factories and to GM dealers. He said I he could get one for me for $4,885, but that still seams high for me! When I have pulled and replaced or rebuilt in the spring, I plan to replace the clutch and pressure plate with one for a ZO6 or stronger yet!!! I would appreciate your feed back for my questions and will have to find some one that has done it before other than my dealer who told me they had never rebuilt a T-56 before and I think I can get it done by someone who has done it before and knows what there doing for less !!
Thank you, DOWNSHIFTER

·
Registered
3,374 Posts
Hi Marv
To answer some of your questions. No Pumps in your tranny. A new T56 should cost around 3500 I would guess a rebuild to be around 2000 parts and labor. Having said that, A T56 is a very stout tranny, try having the fluid drained and refilled and try driving it a bit you're not gonna hurt it any worse. I'm sure others will chime in. Good luck How many miles on your SSR now?
Dan

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
Marv, send your trans to Tick Performance in Mt Airy NC. They have built two R trans for me and both have been great after their rebuilds. They know the T-56 inside and out and know how to upgrade them so they shift like a knife through warm butter. Both of the ones I sent them run about 2K to build.

·
Registered
3,374 Posts
Truck driver's blues

That does it Marv, no more M10 for you !! :smash Time for a slush box :yawn ...:wink2:
Marv's an old truck driver...probably been shifting up and down without the clutch and plumb wore the syncro's out.
Gotta admit I'm guilty of that myself on the 4 speed in the Ford. :frown2:

·
Premium Member
'06 FPR Smokin Asphalt; '04 Ulta Violet
4,203 Posts
I'm not a truck driver, but when an old hot rod clutch went south it would blow guys mind when i'd shift without the clutch! Still show off sometimes now with the Muncie. HA! Course if you had to stop, it was a jerky start, starting it in gear!

Nick

·
Registered
1,250 Posts

Did they do that stock or upgrade.

Dave
That is with upgrades. All depends on what happened inside the trans as for how much it will cost. One I sent them had to have a main shaft and both had to have some gears. Both had a new bearing kit installed along with upgraded shift fork pads. All this was done for $1500 -2000 range.

·
Premium Member
429 Posts
trans

Downshifter, when the t56 went crap in my 05 CTS-V, I went to RPM Transmission in Lafayette Indiana. They have done over 300 t56 builds. Do not remember the cost, but the service was great.
Although everybody says the t56 is good / stout, there are areas where it could have been improved (oil wicking to the tail shaft).
Just giving you options.

·
SSR FAMILY MEMBER
1,611 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
t-56 six speed

Answer to some replies: Right now my SSR has 63,000 miles. In 2010 with 36,000 miles I replaced the rear seal and had the shop drain the transmission fluid and replaced it with ams oil. At the same time put 456 gears in the rear end and put mike's cover on which increased oil capacity. Royal Purple oil is the oil I used to do that. What surprised me is that our trip to Texas and back went nice and smooth! I was very surprised and thankful that it went from good to bad within one plus miles from my house. I am hoping I can find a speed shop in west Michigan that is experienced in rebuilding a T-56! I know of a couple but was planning to check first thing this spring. I wouldn't want to have a wrecker haul it out of state if I could have it done in west Michigan.

·
Premium Member
'06 FPR Smokin Asphalt; '04 Ulta Violet
4,203 Posts
Groceryman101-------I see this is your first post. I'm sure someone in your area will chime in---meantime-- Welcome from Forney Texas!!! you are on the BEST FORUM ever! BUT-----Go to "Tools" in the red banner, click on "User CP" go to "Your Profile" then click "Edit Your Details". Then, whenever you "post" it will show in the left column under your name and we will know where you are and what you drive. Then if you have a problem, someone close by might be able to help out.

Nick

·
Premium Member
2,423 Posts
If you have your mechanic remove the transmissions there are transmission shops that will rebuild your T-56 and ship it back. Your mechanic can then reinstall.

There are some reputable shops out there that do T-56 as a large portion of their work.

You might want to update you clutch while you are at it.

Dave

·
Premium Member
351 Posts
My T56 finally gave up at about 140K miles... Tick Performance in Mt. Airy NC rebuilt it and it came back with a note to NOT USE 5TH AND 6TH GER BELOW 60 MPH. Mine took out the shaft, syncros and bearings in 5th, 6th and Reverse.

·
Premium Member
594 Posts
My T56 finally gave up at about 140K miles... Tick Performance in Mt. Airy NC rebuilt it and it came back with a note to NOT USE 5TH AND 6TH GER BELOW 60 MPH. Mine took out the shaft, syncros and bearings in 5th, 6th and Reverse.
I don't run in 6th gear until over 60 mph, but I do use 5th gear. A simple rule of thumb for me has been: ...30's/3rd, 40's/4th, 50's/5th and 60+/6th.
Curious as to what damages the transmission by running in 5th/6th too soon?
:ssr
Brian

·
SSR FAMILY MEMBER
1,611 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
T-56 with only 63,000 miles !!I

I don't run in 6th gear until over 60 mph, but I do use 5th gear. A simple rule of thumb for me has been: ...30's/3rd, 40's/4th, 50's/5th and 60+/6th.
Curious as to what damages the transmission by running in 5th/6th too soon?
:ssr
Brian
I found a top transmission shop in Grand Rapids, Michigan. He is familiar with rebuilding the T-56. He said it sounds like the rear bearing went out and dropped down is why I don't have reverse. That would cause 5th and 6th gears to bind and make noise. Maybe the T-56 can't handle torque. A few years ago I drove a Dodge pickup with the viper motor and the T-56, I really hammered it hard and when I hit second gear it would start to twist sideways, but it would straighten out and I ran it up to 90 mpg with the car lots salesman in the other bucket seat. He was quiet as a mouse the rest of the ride, but when I got back to the lot he looked at my wife and the first thing that came out of his mouth was [your husband just scared the **** out of me !!] You would think if they used it in a pickup with a viper motor it could handle the torque of a SSR! I have 456 gears in the rear end so at 70 mph I am running 2,100 rpms instead of 1,600 with the stock rear end. That means less torque at highway speeds and I never used 6th gear below 70 mpg with the stock rear end !

·
Premium Member
2,097 Posts
I found a top transmission shop in Grand Rapids, Michigan. He is familiar with rebuilding the T-56. He said it sounds like the rear bearing went out and dropped down is why I don't have reverse. That would cause 5th and 6th gears to bind and make noise. Maybe the T-56 can't handle torque. A few years ago I drove a Dodge pickup with the viper motor and the T-56, I really hammered it hard and when I hit second gear it would start to twist sideways, but it would straighten out and I ran it up to 90 mpg with the car lots salesman in the other bucket seat. He was quiet as a mouse the rest of the ride, but when I got back to the lot he looked at my wife and the first thing that came out of his mouth was [your husband just scared the **** out of me !!] You would think if they used it in a pickup with a viper motor it could handle the torque of a SSR! I have 456 gears in the rear end so at 70 mph I am running 2,100 rpms instead of 1,600 with the stock rear end. That means less torque at highway speeds and I never used 6th gear below 70 mpg with the stock rear end !
In the middle of re-reading the Jamie G book about the SSR. In there, I noted that he covered the six speed trans and how the 06 version had different (slightly lower) ratios than did the 05 version.

If you have an 05 and really "trash" the gearset, would it make sense to swap out the entire set for the 06 ratios???:|

·
Premium Member
2,609 Posts
Check the thread " 6 speed transmission upgrades " - D&D is a great resource for T56 repairs and they're relatively close by.

The SSR version of the T56 is actually stronger than the Viper version, with a larger output shaft!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts