Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is my first post - So if I mess some protocol up be gentle pls.
I bought a new 04 SSR in April of 05. I thought it was odd that the tach started off at minus 100 or so but I was so thrlled to have this thing that I didnt do anything about until now.
I took it in for its second oil change this week at 10,500 km ( hey I'm in Canada) & asked the dealer to check the Tach. I thought it was maybe just reset a code or something in the computer. It starts at idle about -100 & at about 40km/hr its still around 0 rpm. Then it climbs from there but seems to be reporting lower rpm than I would expect .

Short story is that 4 hours later I get a phone call that they cant order a replacement tach & they have to pull the whole cluster & ship it off somewhere to be fixed.
Anyone else have Tach problems ?

·
Tu-Tone club member
5,780 Posts
Haven't heard of this problem. Use the "SEARCH" function and put in "Tach problem" to see if somethings there.

They giving you a rental while the "fix" is being performed??? They should.

P/P

Peace :flag

·
Premium Member
31,452 Posts
Sending out for repair?

The guage cluster is a single assembly and is not repairable at the shop if a single guage isn't working. Why they state they're "sending it out" is a mystery as they should have just ordered a replacement.

Realistically, it's probably just a case of the needle having been pressed onto the shaft at the wrong index during manufacturing. If the values were all correct minus the offset value, they could simply have pulled the needle pointer and reinstalled it at the new index value. This is what an end user needs to do to install those "fancy" aftermarket dash overlays you can get on ebay anyway. That's why they clearly state "MARK DOWN THE POSITION OF THE INDICATORS" before you take it apart. :smash

Maybe it's because there are so few sold in the "Great White North" that the spares are hard to come by? eh?

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
I.P. clusters are sent to a GM authorized repair shop, If the shop has one ready to go they will send it and then your dealer will just exchange it for yours, but if the repair shop doesn't have an exchange available then yours will have to be sent in for repair and then sent back to the dealer. For low production vehicles it's not unusual that there wont be an exchange available. Here in Michigan the turn around is only 2 days if no exchange is available.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I got the truck back today . It took 15 days. They sent the cluster out - got it back in about 3 days & then sent it out again as something wasnt working.
They got it back & then the odometer was reset to 0.
To fix this they were told to replace the BCM module - which they did - but it wouldnt acccept the programming. After a few more days they were advised that the software to program the BCM had to be dug out of an archive somewhere back east & sent to them . They finaly recd the right software today & I have the truck back with a tach that now idles around 5-600 the way it should.

·
Registered
2005 SSR
436 Posts
Just a reminder

If your dealer has to do anything with the BCM be sure and tell them they have got to call Tech Support for programming help....it ain't the same.

I watched them lock up mine, order a new one and lock it up before they found out on the third one they have to call for help.

Life is short
Drive a Hot Rod
Skip

·
Premium Member
9,356 Posts
Billp - Where are you in B.C.?

Ray

·
Registered
590 Posts
B.C. ers

Bill

Let's meet up in the Okanogan in the spring at Flassh's place and we could "borrow" one of his boats!:jester

George

·
Premium Member
9,356 Posts
Late June - Penticton's Peach City Beach Cruise - It would be great to have others sharing the top up/top down demos.

Weather is usually pretty good. Let me know - I'm sure we could arrange a spot for several SSRs together.

Website is www.peachcitybeachcruise.com

Was in Chilliwack twice last week. My BIL just opened a medical practice there, and I have some customers in the Rosedale area.

Ray

1 - 10 of 10 Posts