Chevy SSR Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was reading that someone converted the tailgate to open without opening the top of the bed first. What is the secret formula to convert this?? Do i need a different remote??? Can I use the factory one and just add some type of a new release latch assembly?? Thanks for the time. Great site and love my 05 6 speed aqua blur with 4.10 gears

·
One of the SoCal Nuts
ROTM 1/2016 - 2006 PacBlues 376 & 29
30,363 Posts
I believe that @SWT RYD and @RaticalSSR are both working on ideas from different angles. Maybe they will check in here.

Reactions: voodoophantom

·
Premium Member
2004 custom Paint and trim , ROTM winner #2, Previous owned R’s, 2006 #1 of 8 2 tone & 2005 silver
2,958 Posts
I used the approach of using the key bob to open Tailgate and not the lid. The reason I did this is because the RDM seems to be a very sensitive module. I unplug the lid actuator. I found a plug to fit the actuator wiring harness and ran the wiring into the tailgate. Using the same type actuator and mounting it into the tailgates mechanism. That took a bit of time but not as much as making the gate to drop properly. I could have had both the lid and gate open together but I wasn’t going to take a chance in damaging the RDM.

·
One of the SoCal Nuts
ROTM 1/2016 - 2006 PacBlues 376 & 29
30,363 Posts
I used the approach of using the key bob to open Tailgate and not the lid. The reason I did this is because the RDM seems to be a very sensitive module. I unplug the lid actuator. I found a plug to fit the actuator wiring harness and ran the wiring into the tailgate. Using the same type actuator and mounting it into the tailgates mechanism. That took a bit of time but not as much as making the gate to drop properly. I could have had both the lid and gate open together but I wasn’t going to take a chance in damaging the RDM.
and of course, once the gate is ope the cover can be opened by pulling the cable release if needed. Right?

·
Premium Member
2004 custom Paint and trim , ROTM winner #2, Previous owned R’s, 2006 #1 of 8 2 tone & 2005 silver
2,958 Posts
Correct, Sorry just figured that would be the logical action.

·
Premium Member
'06 FPR Smokin Asphalt; '04 Ulta Violet
6,515 Posts
@motordoctor, if you try the "Search Community" box above, you can find the step by step threads for doing it. Maybe someone will post links to them. It isn't easy, is doable.

Nick

·
Premium Member
2,409 Posts
I can open the tailgate by pushing a button on the driver's side under the seatbelt or I have a switch behind SSR FANATAC plate that I am dragging. I just push on the plate with my foot.I have a double failsafe against accidental opening when driving, 1, a micro switch on the lock on the driver's side and 2, a normally closed relay also in the circuit that opens when the ignition is on.
I can open the tailgate and lid buy using a button on the driver's side or the remote. I have the circuit isolated from the fuse in front fuse box by using a relay. The front fuse box has a 5 amp fust instead of 35 amp.
Jack

Reactions: soren703

·
Premium Member
3,415 Posts
I can open the tailgate by pushing a button on the driver's side under the seatbelt or I have a switch behind SSR FANATAC plate that I am dragging. I just push on the plate with my foot.I have a double failsafe against accidental opening when driving, 1, a micro switch on the lock on the driver's side and 2, a normally closed relay also in the circuit that opens when the ignition is on.
I can open the tailgate and lid buy using a button on the driver's side or the remote. I have the circuit isolated from the fuse in front fuse box by using a relay. The front fuse box has a 5 amp fust instead of 35 amp.
Jack
:unsure:
Not sure if you play golf or not. My main goal when constructing an button operated taigate (only) was to avoid extra aggrevation at the bag drop. In the past, I had to shut down the motor and get out of the truck while at the same time, puslhing the key fob cargo lid button. Then going to the back to reach in and unlatch the tailgate so the bag drop guy could take it.
Now, I can stop at the bag drop and just push my new remote and the tailgate drops and he can pull out the clubs and once parked, I can close it back up.;)
Sounds like your (double failsafe) would mean you would have to kill the ignition to enable dropping the gate. No big deal, end results are the same.

·
Premium Member
2,958 Posts
:unsure:
Not sure if you play golf or not. My main goal when constructing an button operated taigate (only) was to avoid extra aggrevation at the bag drop. In the past, I had to shut down the motor and get out of the truck while at the same time, puslhing the key fob cargo lid button. Then going to the back to reach in and unlatch the tailgate so the bag drop guy could take it.
Now, I can stop at the bag drop and just push my new remote and the tailgate drops and he can pull out the clubs and once parked, I can close it back up.;)
Sounds like your (double failsafe) would mean you would have to kill the ignition to enable dropping the gate. No big deal, end results are the same.
I can drop the tailgate while engine is running in park. But not in gear. I do golf but always unload my own bags because I don’t trust anyone pulling anything out of my trunk. Fear of carelessness.
Do appreciate your insight in to this idea. Intrigue me to do it too.👍👍👍
Doug

·
Premium Member
3,415 Posts
I can drop the tailgate while engine is running in park. But not in gear. I do golf but always unload my own bags because I don’t trust anyone pulling anything out of my trunk. Fear of carelessness.
Do appreciate your insight in to this idea. Intrigue me to do it too.👍👍👍
Doug
:oops:
Well, yeah I too get concerned as to someone getting careless getting something out of the back end. With an SSR, the problem to me was that the cargo lid pops up and the (bag drop guy) has no clue or is unfamilar with how to open the tailgate. So in that case, he is very likely to try and snatch up the whole bag over the tailgate to get it out.:eek:
That is why i went with the conversion to opening only the tailgate.
My opinion is that most all bag drop guys can extract a bag from the opened tailgate without any damage to the SSR whatsoever. Since the (new setup) requires extra pressure to close the tailgate, I let the bag guy know that I will take care of closing the gate once I get parked in the parking lot.(y)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts