Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
BAD BOW TIE
11,638 Posts
LOOKING FOR PICS OF DIFFERENT LENSES USED IN THE CUSTOM BUCKETS:smile2:
Contact ERIC at MPD. He is also on this site and builds the buckets. Send him a PM.

·
Super Moderator
14,094 Posts
When Lonnie did mine I had him send a set of 59 Caddie lenses as well but have never installed them.
I had always intended to "change up" the look every once in a while and it only takes a few minutes but have never gotten around to it - I guess because I like the look of the Pontiac blue Dots.
Someone on board has the 61 Chevy lenses - I like them quite a bit

Anyway, here are the Blue Dots

Kate's Blue Dots by Mr Sinister.jpg

Notes I have made to myself
- look into the possibility of LED's to brighten them up (both for visual & safety purposes)
- installing the flashing 3rd brake light for safety reasons

·
Registered
3,357 Posts
I do like the blue dot look. Does anyone make a similar lens replacement for a stock SSR tail light assembly?

·
Super Moderator
14,094 Posts
I do like the blue dot look. Does anyone make a similar lens replacement for a stock SSR tail light assembly?
Thanks
But always interesting - GM had a pretty good group of design engineers - we must agree or we would drive something else
Penticton Meet 2010 I recall following BlueStreak (Dwight) out of the lot when queued for a parade and marveled at the "splash" - sort of like fireworks when he hit the brakes (this was daytime)
I don't think Dwight drives very much**, so I got to see those rockets red glare, the flames bursting in air as he rode the brakes for 20 minutes
Point is, those original tail lights are pretty cool!
The good thing about the canisters is you can replace the originals at any point in time, and I still have my originals.

**Kidding, as Dwight is a great driver with 200k + SSR driving miles on his resume

I don't think there is a wrong way to go on this if it is plug and play and keep originals - the originals are very cool, but daytime look, for sure I prefer the canisters

For sure I love many of the tail light "permanent" mods, but then you are in a different can - can't easily go back

Contacts are:
Lonnie - Mr. Sinister
Eric - MPD1

·
BAD BOW TIE
11,638 Posts
Tried to find out who made these for about two years. Really like the look. Here is the problem. You can buy the blue dots themselves off E-Bay. Then you have to mark perfectly and drill the holes yourself and install the blue dots and seal them. Don't know what or where they got the chrome ring which really sets them off. All the research I have done says you may not get the hole centered right and may crack or damage the lens when drilling. New lights can run about $450.00 each so very expensive experiment if you mess them up. I was going to buy a spare set so if I messed them up I would still have the stock ones. The Blue Dot lenses are legal in South Dakota because several of us got the law changed but in many states they are illegal and you may get a ticket. The buckets and lights are not cheap either. Good luck.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
14,094 Posts
Tried to find out who made these for about two years. Really like the look. Here is the problem. You can buy the blue dots themselves off E-Bay. Then you have to mark perfectly and drill the holes yourself and install the blue dots and seal them. Don't know what or where they got the chrome ring which really sets them off. All the research I have done says you may not get the hole centered right and may crack or damage the lens when drilling. New lights can run about $450.00 each so very expensive experiment if you mess them up. I was going to buy a spare set so if I messed them up I would still have the stock ones. The Blue Dot lenses are legal in South Dakota because several of us got the law changed but in many states they are illegal and you may get a ticket. The buckets and lights are not cheap either. Good luck.
The picture you displayed is not a replacement canister - it is a body modification, same as Post #2
Once you do that, the road is set - beautiful mind you.

The road I took was the safe route - can always run home to Mom! (not exactly true as my Mom :angel recently passed but you get the idea)

So, buying a canister operation, just have Lonnie or Eric build it and request whatever lens or lenses you want.
The lenses are easily interchangeable in the canisters, although I would use the same "builder" to make sure

I think the original question referred to the canister type situation

·
BAD BOW TIE
11,638 Posts
Cash,
I agree but in post #3 he was asking about stock lights with blue dots. Just trying to show him what I found out and how costly and difficult it was. I like the frenched look also and will probably go that route. Right now I am installing the LED bulb conversion package kit on the entire vehicle, by JOSHVETTE. Hopefully that will brighten everything up including the brake lights out back to wake up the daydreamers. Love the look of yours.

·
Super Moderator
14,094 Posts
Cash,
I agree but in post #3 he was asking about stock lights with blue dots. Just trying to show him what I found out and how costly and difficult it was. I like the frenched look also and will probably go that route. Right now I am installing the LED bulb conversion package kit on the entire vehicle, by JOSHVETTE. Hopefully that will brighten everything up including the brake lights out back to wake up the daydreamers. Love the look of yours.
Thanks - love mine as well but I can go back to original, as a 3rd look if you will
I admire the guys that do a total remake, but I have seen so many SSR's that have had little makeovers and eventually become a complete mess

I should contact Josh for sure, as I would like to brighten mine up

On this forum, I have followed SSR's for 10 years, their changes, modifications, sales, mileage, deaths - you name it, I have followed it.
Yet, I am still insecure in how to do modifications on Kate - anything I do is such a huge dedication, like doing body surgery on - and if you do, are you pulling the life support on one you love
I have seen a lot of SSR's go to market with a lot of great intended modifications but in a complete mess done by people with great intentions.
For Kate, I don't have it figured out - maybe another decade!

I imagine it is easier for those not so personally attached - but maybe not - maybe it is easier for the artistic types that love the nude
I don't have a clue to the answer, just hope the artist loves the model

·
Registered
105 Posts
And then there’s simply changing the bulb to get a different look. I have ordered the Sweeplite led bulb with the load adjustment to prevent hyperblink. They have a video of it in the SSR on their website Sweeplite.com or on YouTube. The bulb give the sense of motion to the turn signals, and since it’s a “change the bulb, add a resistor”type mod, I went for it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts