Chevy SSR Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
2004 custom Paint and trim , ROTM winner #2, Previous owned R’s, 2006 #1 of 8 2 tone & 2005 silver
2,991 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I use a different approach to dropping the gate after latches where released. I mounted a outdoor gate return spring and mount it on the frame rail and it pushes up on the hinges. Hence no pressure on the latches to release.
Wood Gas Tool Auto part Font
Automotive tire Road surface Asphalt Bumper Floor
Tire Automotive tire Motor vehicle Vehicle brake Yellow
Automotive tire Automotive design Automotive exterior Bumper Gas
Asphalt Road surface Bumper Wood Gas
Automotive tire Cap Grey Wood Hat

First photo of made up bracket . Angle bracket with 6” gate spring and thin pipe around to support spring. Used a rubber insert that collapses around inner part of spring to hold in place
Second photo change the top rubber mount on spring used a pad with a plastic sleeve extens to keep the spring in line.
Third photo shows assy mounted in frame. Two holes drilled to mount
Fourth photo showing mounted under the hinge area.
Fifth photo shows cover for the hinge area modified to get clearance for spring assy.
Sixth photo is looking down hinge slot area of floor

Video of this working on Youtube. SSR tailgate release and drop

·
Premium Member
3,487 Posts
:unsure:
Interesting approach, but I can't quite follow where your setup is installed from these close up pictures. Under the hinge area.........Could you elaborate more with some specific (longer range) pics to show where your springs are located.

Seems we all went in different directions to get this done.

·
Premium Member
2004 custom Paint and trim , ROTM winner #2, Previous owned R’s, 2006 #1 of 8 2 tone & 2005 silver
2,991 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
:unsure:
Interesting approach, but I can't quite follow where your setup is installed from these close up pictures. Under the hinge area.........Could you elaborate more with some specific (longer range) pics to show where your springs are located.

Seems we all went in different directions to get this done.
I have the bracket with spring at the end of the right frame rail. Right under the Rt hinge of gate. When gate is closed the hinge presses down on the spring. When gate is release the spring pushes up on hinge not out which has caused pressure on the latches to open. Took 8 hours of trial and error to get it just right. Would I do it again from scratch no but it is a neat conversation item.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts