Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,310 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:|

My 2005 Chevy Avalanche has a heavy tailgate that weighs a ton. Drops down hard and goes up hard.

I've noticed that later model Chevy trucks seem to show a rather slow moving and easy tailgate going down. While I have not been by a dealers to check out this feature, It occurred to me that maybe this would/could be a neat extra feature on an SSR.

:nerd: (ATTENTION..........MIKE AT SIMPLE ENGINEERING).

The scenario that says ya gotta lower the tailgate if you open the cargo lid so that (after) you close the cargo lid, then you close the tailgate.

I'm thinking just how cool it would be if some hydraulic strut relief could be added to the tailgate..........along with a remote (unlock) switch or (modification of the existing key fob control)...........so that after hitting the cargo lid button to open the cargo lid, then the tailgate would next be lowered (gently) by the hydraulic setup.

Here is an after market video I found that shows the Chevy EZ setup being applied to earlier models.

It would seem to me that some sort of similar deal could be engineered to fit the SSR tailgate.:wink2:

·
Premium Member
1,954 Posts
?

I do not think there is enough space for it. I opened my tailgate last night and measured with my finger. One finger wide space there. Not enough room for a cylinder or end fittings. I hope I am proved wrong.

Jack

·
Premium Member
2,310 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I do not think there is enough space for it. I opened my tailgate last night and measured with my finger. One finger wide space there. Not enough room for a cylinder or end fittings. I hope I am proved wrong.

Jack
:frown2:
Yeah, I hope you're proved wrong also. I had not been aware of these easy opening tailgate deals. I've owned several pickups and my latest (close to being a pickup) is my 2005 Chevy Avalanche.

I started noticing in truck commercials where they would open the tailgate and it appeared to just coast down easy instead of fall like a rock. Thus, I knew some kind of assist had been added.

Now I've explored all the EZ lift/drop videos and ads I could find and while for something like $36 you can retro fit earlier Chevys/Fords/etc. it seems the Avalanche is not included.:| Of course, neither is the SSR.

It just would seem to me that someone could engineer a similar EZ drop setup for the SSR........and if that could be done, it wouldn't/should not be too tough to rig a solenoid to the latch and trigger via a remote to drop the tailgate.

Given the fact ya gotta drop the tailgate anytime you pop the cargo lid, it seems to me like why not do this..........................

·
Daily Driver
8,948 Posts
Yes, it would be really cool if the fob would open the tailgate without opening the lid at all, especially in the rain.

·
Supporting SSR Hobbyist
10,106 Posts

:nerd: (ATTENTION..........MIKE AT SIMPLE ENGINEERING).

The scenario that says ya gotta lower the tailgate if you open the cargo lid so that (after) you close the cargo lid, then you close the tailgate.

I'm thinking just how cool it would be if some hydraulic strut relief could be added to the tailgate..........along with a remote (unlock) switch or (modification of the existing key fob control)...........so that after hitting the cargo lid button to open the cargo lid, then the tailgate would next be lowered (gently) by the hydraulic setup.

Here is an after market video I found that shows the Chevy EZ setup being applied to earlier models.

It would seem to me that some sort of similar deal could be engineered to fit the SSR tailgate.:wink2:
Nice try.... It's a great idea..... Not at all economical, but would be a great one-off accessory. It won't be coming from me....

Regards,

Mikey:jester

·
Premium Member
'06 FPR Smokin Asphalt; '04 Ulta Violet
4,491 Posts

:frown2:

Given the fact ya gotta drop the tailgate anytime you pop the cargo lid, it seems to me like why not do this..........................
I'm sure you know you don't have to lower the tailgate ALL the way down!? On Kathy's '04 with Original factory struts, she can open the tailgate 2" with ONE hand and close the cover with her other hand, then close the tailgate. A PLUS/reason for keeping the weak original struts for the Ladies !! On my '06 with Mike's struts, I open the tail gate 6" and let it rest against my chest then close the cover WITH BOTH hands. No biggie.

Oh, my 2015 Silverado has the slow opening tailgate and it is nice!!

Nick

·
Premium Member
3,829 Posts
Here is the whole package lift drop lock unlock remote.
Not for SSR but could be, as most of the work is done.
See it here droptail.com
Mike maybe a new SSR product.

·
Premium Member
6,102 Posts
If you ever watch the Velocity channel, I'm sure those guys on one the their shows could come up with something. Only be problem big $$$$$$.

·
Slingshot Rules!
73,643 Posts
My first and primary thought on this . . .

NO THANKS . . . just one more thing to Screw Up and go Goofy. I have always been a huge fan of the KISS theory.

! :surprise: ! :glol ! :surprise: ! :glol ! :surprise: !

·
Premium Member
2,310 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Here is the whole package lift drop lock unlock remote.
Not for SSR but could be, as most of the work is done.
See it here droptail.com
Mike maybe a new SSR product.
:surprise:
Thanks for that link, it did not appear when I was googling for info on such as tailgate assist, etc.

But I did go and look and have sent them an inquiry regarding whether or not they have an available model of their product that would fit/work on an SSR.

I'll post their response when I get it.

Here is the site link.

JSC Engineering DROPTAIL installed on Custom Trucks (droptail.com)

·
Super Road Rocket Pilot
6,323 Posts
There are several solutions, here is another from DeeZee -
https://www.deezee.com/product/truck-tailgate-assist/

Something like this might work as well -
https://www.ebay.com/itm/A-Premium-Tailgate-Assist-Lift-Supports-Struts-Kit-Fit-04-14-Ford-F-150-DZ43200-/122906226311

With the way the SSR is constructed, you should be able to mount 1 or 2 struts to the tailgate inner face where the carpet is and the other side to the inner body, possibly on the side rails where the accessories mount to. There isn't much room where the side cables are mounted, I would stay away from that crevice area and stick with a flush mount to the tailgate.

A package similar to the hood strut conversion for the 03-04 would work, the triangle brackets would be mounted on the tailgate and then you mount the other ball mount to the side of the bed. You could probably piece one together on your own with off the shelf parts, but there would be some experimentation on the proper pressure and length of strut. The

·
Premium Member
2,310 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
There are several solutions, here is another from DeeZee -
https://www.deezee.com/product/truck-tailgate-assist/

Something like this might work as well -
https://www.ebay.com/itm/A-Premium-Tailgate-Assist-Lift-Supports-Struts-Kit-Fit-04-14-Ford-F-150-DZ43200-/122906226311

With the way the SSR is constructed, you should be able to mount 1 or 2 struts to the tailgate inner face where the carpet is and the other side to the inner body, possibly on the side rails where the accessories mount to. There isn't much room where the side cables are mounted, I would stay away from that crevice area and stick with a flush mount to the tailgate.

A package similar to the hood strut conversion for the 03-04 would work, the triangle brackets would be mounted on the tailgate and then you mount the other ball mount to the side of the bed. You could probably piece one together on your own with off the shelf parts, but there would be some experimentation on the proper pressure and length of strut. The

I'm skeptical of the DeeZee choice, I reviewed quite a few customer feedback items on this unit and many had problems and/or a very short period of time before the unit malfunctioned or just broke.

The EBAY item you show seems to be just for Fords....maybe they have a similar unit that fits Chevys. I guess the Avalanche model (which I have) is somehow different regarding the tailgate area as units that say they fit Silverados do NOT fit the Avalanche.

So far, the only source I have found that does have a unit to fit the Avalanche is the Droptail.com outfit. Not sure I will pony up for one, but as I said......I do have an inquiry into them for possible info on fitment for an SSR. Stay tuned.:wink2:

·
Super Road Rocket Pilot
6,323 Posts

I'm skeptical of the DeeZee choice, I reviewed quite a few customer feedback items on this unit and many had problems and/or a very short period of time before the unit malfunctioned or just broke.

The EBAY item you show seems to be just for Fords....maybe they have a similar unit that fits Chevys. I guess the Avalanche model (which I have) is somehow different regarding the tailgate area as units that say they fit Silverados do NOT fit the Avalanche.

So far, the only source I have found that does have a unit to fit the Avalanche is the Droptail.com outfit. Not sure I will pony up for one, but as I said......I do have an inquiry into them for possible info on fitment for an SSR. Stay tuned.:wink2:
Well, there are no off the shelf solutions for the SSR, if there were it would be listed as an application on the websites. Some of the DeeZee issues were related to space in the side mount with the cable, that is why I mentioned that your application should be directly to the bed from the inner area, away from the cable. And yes, you should get a good quality strut so it does not fail in the near future, maybe LST, the ones that make all the other strut replacements for the R, might be able to help.

You can use DeeZee, the EBay link or the Droptail, and doesn't matter Ford, Chevy, Dodge, etc.... all the parts are similar, just the way they bolt to the truck. Since nobody has done it before you will have to bite some of the testing issues that will hopefully be few. I suggested the EBay and DeeZee due to their size and easy replacement if needed compared to the Droptail.

Good luck in your quest, will be watching and hoping for the best.

·
OP
8,226 Posts
I have the deezee on my f150 and it has worked flawlessly for years (just jinxed myself), except I did not use the included ball mount with the nutsert as it finally loosens over time and that is the part that fails...I mounted a strut ball will nut from inside tailgate using extended makeshift wrench...longer story.

that all being said, the design is not favorable to the SSR as there is not enough space for mounting as others have suspected on this thread. I looked at it when I purchased the deezee before I mounted it to my F150 just out of curiosity...and I am not willing to cut the SSR tailgate up that much just for a try and see if it works.

It would be nice for a soft lower feature as it really helps me with my f150 and that big heavy gate. there is probably a way to modify a strut option where the SSR gate arms connect at bottom of gate.

·
Premium Member
358 Posts
Soft open tailgate

I purchased a cylinder for my 2009 GMC years ago at ORiellys for something like $18:black:! Works great, quick and easy to install. A torsion bar would reduce the apparent weight of the tailgate, but would not make for a slow drop tailgate. By the way, it does have a drawback. On my two other trucks (SSR and 90 GMC firewood hauler) I often forget I can't unlatch and let go.......

1 - 20 of 23 Posts