Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got a dent in my tailgate from a lady running into me a few weeks ago. no insurance of course. The dealer wants to put a new tailgate on for $1300 The dent isnt that bad since it is out of pocket can a body shop straichten the metal and repaint or should i suck it up and pay the dealer for the new tailgate and wait weeks for it.
 

·
Machell
Joined
·
20,829 Posts
Have you taken it to a dent popper!!? I would do this first and check with other shops first. Post pictures so others can see it and maybe help you more. BTW we missed you at Cruisers last weekend!:)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
woohoo said:
Yes we did..(miss you that is).
I was upset that I couldn't be there. My baby has now been in the shop for almost 2 weeks.

1. Volt gage not working in gage cluster
2. Drivers door handle broken. I have to crawl out the window to get out. Not really I just have to use the outside latch.
3. Ashtray latch broken

no eta on door handle parts "national back order"

the dent repair was just an extra I wanted fixed while waiting on parts.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Whitewolf said:
Paintless dent repair can work miracles sometimes......or make the repair a lot less costly.........:seeya

Thanks, I will try that. It is not that bad, just folde in in the middle of gate. I repaired the license plate braket myself. Hitch assembly saved me, that is where her bumper hit me. like hitting a wall.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
893 Posts
Full hitch and ball

BUDDYWHITE said:
Thanks, I will try that. It is not that bad, just folde in in the middle of gate. I repaired the license plate braket myself. Hitch assembly saved me, that is where her bumper hit me. like hitting a wall.


If you had been running the full hitch and ball......you probibly got by with little or no damage........Sometimes it might be better to run the full hitch or a modified version , just for protection......(even if you don't have a trailer).....from people who have a tendence to want to get to close.......aka Nerf Bar (Hot Rod Style):seeya
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Whitewolf said:
If you had been running the full hitch and ball......you probibly got by with little or no damage........Sometimes it might be better to run the full hitch or a modified version , just for protection......(even if you don't have a trailer).....from people who have a tendence to want to get to close.......aka Nerf Bar (Hot Rod Style):seeya
Agreed, I need to find a hitch and my budget is $150 but I can't find any takers. The dealer stole mine when I bought the vehicle.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
893 Posts
$150.00

BUDDYWHITE said:
Agreed, I need to find a hitch and my budget is $150 but I can't find any takers. The dealer stole mine when I bought the vehicle.
If you have the dealer take the hitch off the invoice.....$150.00 is all they will give. you as credit.....they say thats their cost............I wish now I had kept mine......And $150.00 is all I'll give for one....."to soon old....to late smart".....:smash :smash :seeya
 

·
Tu-Tone club member
Joined
·
5,780 Posts
Hey BUDDY....If the woman hit you, how come she isn't paying for whatever repairs your having to do????

P/P

Peace:flag
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Purple Penelope said:
Hey BUDDY....If the woman hit you, how come she isn't paying for whatever repairs your having to do????

P/P

Peace:flag
How does the saying go. like trying to get blood out of a turnip.

She shouldnt have been driving without insurance, and I dont want to claim it on mine.
 

·
Machell
Joined
·
20,829 Posts
Turn her into the police, new policy anyone in an accident or given a ticket and has no insurace gets a fine and their vehicle towed!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Purple Penelope said:
Hey BUDDY....If the woman hit you, how come she isn't paying for whatever repairs your having to do????

P/P

Peace:flag
How does the saying go. like trying to get blood out of a turnip.

She shouldnt have been driving without insurance, and I dont want to claim it on mine.


I guess I thought it wasn't that big a deal at the time. It happened over Chrismas weekend
 

·
Administrator
PEDIGREE SSR
Joined
·
8,598 Posts
BUDDYWHITE said:
How does the saying go. like trying to get blood out of a turnip.

She shouldnt have been driving without insurance, and I dont want to claim it on mine.
Your insurance company should cover drivers without insurance. They will go after them to try to recover the costs if they are proven to be at fault.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Marc NY said:
Your insurance company should cover drivers without insurance. They will go after them to try to recover the costs if they are proven to be at fault.
Good point, maybe too late at this point. I really thought this was going to be a minor cost.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,756 Posts
BUDDYWHITE said:
I got a dent in my tailgate from a lady running into me a few weeks ago. no insurance of course. The dealer wants to put a new tailgate on for $1300 The dent isnt that bad since it is out of pocket can a body shop straichten the metal and repaint or should i suck it up and pay the dealer for the new tailgate and wait weeks for it.
Someone hit my tailgate and I called my dent popper. You would never know it was dented, they have this little bar that they push from the back. $75.00

Speaking of which when he open the panel on the gate, he showed me before he started work that the glue that holds the rear sheet metal to the frame had seperated. Yes they use glue, anyway the dealer fixed it. If you all are ever bored open the panel and see if yours is unglued as well,
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,553 Posts
I'd take it to a dent popper first, can't hurt to try and may save you $$$$$$$:seeya
 

·
I'm not cool...
Joined
·
2,096 Posts
I do paintless dent repair

post pics (from a few angles) and mabie I can give you a long distance opinion:thumbs
drive to slc and I'll repair it (if I can) for free :flag
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
39 Posts
Don't want to get too far off topic, but Mike...is that your work setup in the back of your SSR? If so that is too cool! Nice vehicle to use to drive around in for work. :cool
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
mikepowell said:
post pics (from a few angles) and mabie I can give you a long distance opinion:thumbs
drive to slc and I'll repair it (if I can) for free :flag
Thanks for the offer, I will give the paintless dent repair / dent doctors a try. Mybe I will get lucky
 
1 - 20 of 25 Posts
Top