Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Some expressed an interest in making the Talimena Scenic Drive. Log onto the internet and have Google search for TALIMENA SCENIC DRIVE ASSOCIATION and determine if you want to get a group together. The drive extends from Talihina, OK to Mena, AR......hence the conjunction "TALIMENA", a distance of 54 miles. There are many places along the way where we can spend the night, dinner, etc. The weeks when the foliage is best (according to the Association) are early October through late November. Maybe a poll would be best to see which Saturday/Sunday would bring in the most SSRs(?). If the 54 miles of the main tour is not enough, there are 2 side trips that are highly recommended by the Assoc. Heck, we could make 'em all! :ssr :thumbs :party

·
Registered
3,003 Posts
Talimena

Sounds like fun!! When everyone decides on a date, I'll see if we will be free that weekend.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Give Me A Date

I don't have very many free weekends, but I'd love to make that drive on one of them. So, give me a date and I'll see if I can fit it in, okay?

·
Machell
20,829 Posts
My weekend dates are filling up fast too. Looks like the only one left for me is Nov. 19th the weekend before Thanksgiving! :seeya

·
Premium Member
17,317 Posts
If the timing is right and I have my truck back you could probally count me in.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Talimena Delight

Yaller Dog said:
Some expressed an interest in making the Talimena Scenic Drive. Log onto the internet and have Google search for TALIMENA SCENIC DRIVE ASSOCIATION and determine if you want to get a group together. The drive extends from Talihina, OK to Mena, AR......hence the conjunction "TALIMENA", a distance of 54 miles. There are many places along the way where we can spend the night, dinner, etc. The weeks when the foliage is best (according to the Association) are early October through late November. Maybe a poll would be best to see which Saturday/Sunday would bring in the most SSRs(?). If the 54 miles of the main tour is not enough, there are 2 side trips that are highly recommended by the Assoc. Heck, we could make 'em all!
I took this tour last weekend. The conditions were perfect, in the PM, for top down happiness. The 54 miles are narrow and crooked...just right for a six speed roadster (or a more tame automatic). The colors are beginning to change NOW, so don't wait too long if that is why you are going. Your only competition will be motorcyclist...they will get out of your way after a while!!! (honk, honk, honk) :rolleyes:

·
Retired GM Program Manager/ Chief SSR Engineer
549 Posts
This is my home country. Another addition would be to continue past Mena to Hot Springs and then go north on Arkansas #7. This goes all the way north to Harrison. From Harrison you only have a short drive to Branson. This would be an outstanding trip at this time of year. #7 has been noted as great drive by several travel and car magazines. It is also a Scenic Byway of the National Forest.

·
Machell
20,829 Posts
Husband might be delivering an airplane to Bentonville Ark. this weekend and we were tossing around the idea of me driving up to pick him up!!! How is the weather up that way?

·
Premium Member
1,890 Posts
wildcat66 said:
Husband might be delivering an airplane to Bentonville Ark. this weekend and we were tossing around the idea of me driving up to pick him up!!! How is the weather up that way?

Must be delivertng a plane to Wal Mart : :seeya

·
Premium Member
1,890 Posts
wildcat66 said:

Your better half must be delivertng a plane to Wal Mart : not much there

·
Premium Member
1,890 Posts
wildcat66 said:

Your better half must be delivertng a plane to Wal Mart :eek:r Tyson , not much there

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
If your husband is a pilot,

wildcat66 said:
he can get better weather updates than any one of us can give you. I think most of the leaves have fallen, but may still be a fun drive due to the roads. There is a six mile stretch on Hiway 62 from the Rogers/Bentonville area to Eureka Springs that will test your mettle (among other things)! Just BE CAREFUL, it's a long drop to the bottom of those canyons....... :eek

·
Machell
20,829 Posts
I was wondering about ground level for the drive up and back. Thought that some twisty roads might be the thing, unless they were calling for snow or ice. Texas is like another country where weather is involved. Oklahoma could be having a blizzard and it will be 80 in Texas!!! :)

B

·
0 Posts
Bring it on!

Why don't you come on up. It hasn't rained in a month of sundays. The main thing around here is dodgeing all the fires. It has never been this bad around here with all the fires. Its a little cold. No snow thou. Chance of rain saturday low is supposed to be in the 40's. 17 this morning, 59 this afternoon. It will be a fun drive. Plenty of twisted roads in ne Oklahoma and nw Arkansas. Just stay on the state Hiways. Pretty good roads all in all. I go to Bentonville about every Wednesday from Tulsa. (Work related). It's not like it used to be there. If you have not been there for a couple years, you might not recognize Bentonville area.

·
Machell
20,829 Posts
He says he isn't going up til Sunday morning and doing the training so the guy will fly him back that afternoon, and I have to pick up the kids from their grandma's Sunday. So no trip this time. But I am thinking early spring would be a great time!!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts