Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,142 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
has any one purchased a non Vertronic's tech 2. Vertronic is the brand used by GM special tools and is very reliable but runs about twice what the off brands sell for. Most of the copies come from China and they look almost identical on the outside but who knows what is inside, Looking for any experiances.

·
Cantankerous SSR CaretakR
2,226 Posts
Autel makes quality tools, wouldn't have any qualms with their equipment if properly connected and used. The Chinese knock off Tech2 are are just that. Junk.... Know of a coworker that destroyed his ECM on his Silverado with a knock off. Can't tell you if it was the clone Tech2 or the clone Candi but I wouldn't use either on my or anyone elses R's. I have a genuine Vetronics (OTC) GM Tech2 and Candi that I purchased brand new thru a distributer at the time. Even the so called genuine units on Ebay are often clones being passed off as real.

·
RetroCarGuy530
1,561 Posts
@shiftz33 has an Autel which has a lot of the features of the Tech 2. Hopefully he will chime in here with his comments.
I have an Autel MaxiSys 906 (MS906). It has support for almost all vehicle makes/models. It supports scanning for codes from numerous subsystems (not just generic obd codes). It’s pricey with a cost in the $1100 range. It supports testing and interacting with most of the SSR subsystems. It doesn’t support nearly as much as the tech2, but it’s helpful in diagnosing issues for my SSR.

·
Premium Member
55 Posts
Someone gave me the old snap on scanner that does alot of bidirectional functions.only problem screen is not bright.i also have Mac version of the otc brand it's not as good as snap on.i have none directional harbor freight scanner was about$100 only does very basic stuff. It really depends on how much you know what scanner is good for you.

·
SSR Pit Crew
11,849 Posts
Autel makes quality tools, wouldn't have any qualms with their equipment if properly connected and used. The Chinese knock off Tech2 are are just that. Junk.... Know of a coworker that destroyed his ECM on his Silverado with a knock off. Can't tell you if it was the clone Tech2 or the clone Candi but I wouldn't use either on my or anyone elses R's. I have a genuine Vetronics (OTC) GM Tech2 and Candi that I purchased brand new thru a distributer at the time. Even the so called genuine units on Ebay are often clones being passed off as real.
I too, have the Real GM Tech2 and Candi, costly NEW, bought mine from Tech at Chevy Dealer who was leaving.

Had it updated recently at a cost of $1000. Refurbished and updated to 2016.

Just used Tech2 on my SSR. Said, Wheel Hub and sensor bad. It was!

Dicktator

·
Tech Support/Research
1,501 Posts
Over the years that the genuine, US-made Tech 2 was available as new, it carried several brand names- Hewlett-Packard, Bosch, OTC and Vetronix. The clones I have seen all carry the Vetronix label. Avoid these Chinese clones; as river_rat says, they are junk and can damage your electronics or fail unexpectedly rather than assist you- where will that leave you?

There is much more detail that is too lengthy to discuss here about how to differentiate a clone from a real unit, including cloned vs. real CANdi units. I have not followed the secondary market for pricing on genuine units for some time but much depends on how complete a setup you want to have, with different connectors and cables, power supply, setup for linking to a PC for programming, etc. I recall seeing units sold with PCs already set up with the proper software as well. And to repeat what I've suggested elsewhere and to others, if you are unfamiliar with these units and find one you want to buy, also find someone who knows how to use the Tech 2, who knows how to exercise all of its its self-test functions to ensure that there are no internal errors, and actually plug it into a vehicle and test all of the unit's functions. Buying a used Tech 2 is like buying a used computer (because in essence it is a computer).

In its prime, a new Tech 2 listed for approx. $4000 without a related PC or software or accessories. When I bought mine used several years ago they were bringing $1500-$2000 while the clones were being offered for as little as $500-$600. It took me a while to find a good used genuine unit and like Dicktator I was fortunate to buy one directly from a mechanic/technician.

Also understand that it will take some time to learn how to use one of these tools. If you plan to purchase one I strongly recommend finding as much genuine online documentation as you can and downloading it for reference before it disappears into the "page not found" area of the internet.

Good luck. The Tech 2 is a great diagnostic tool for our trucks.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts