Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
SSR Owners Group
3,753 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
HUNTERSVILLE, N.C. – At 15 years old most boys are just trying to figure out how to get the keys to the family car, not to mention dreaming of racing.

But racing is the reality for one local teen.

Joey Logano is one of the youngest drivers ever signed to a NASCAR team. Logano was raised on racing. In fact, he’s even been driving for 10 years.

“I think a lot of parents push their kids too much. My focus was to just make sure Joey had fun with it,” said his father, Tom Logano. “I knew he had natural abilities, but you can burn out a kid.”

Sports haven’t always been Logano’s forte. He said he never had any interest in basketball and couldn’t even hit a tee ball, so his dad bought him a go-cart.

Then at the tender age of 12, Logano’s talent was discovered by NASCAR legend Mark Martin. By 15 he had signed a development contract with Joe Gibbs Racing.

“You know it is a really cool deal to be signed up at this young of an age,” Logano said. “It is something really different from the norm, I guess, but other than this I am a normal kid.”

Just month after his last birthday he became the youngest driver to ever win a Hooters Pro Cup race; it was only his second run in the series.

“That was the coolest thing I ever did; it was awesome,” he gushed after the race.

While Logano has big dreams and the talent to back them up, he’s not old enough to drive on a NASCAR-sanctioned track. But he already has one of the best teams in the sport backing him up.

Some may worry about the price of fame at such a young age, but Logano swears he’s a normal teen who just happens to hang out with some of NASCAR’s best, and even he has his favorites.

“Probably the 20 of Stewart, he’s a really cool guy, that or the 6 of Mark Martin,” he said.

As for normal teen things, he blushes when he talks about girls and flashes a winning smile when he talks about his baby - a bright red Chevy SSR that he can’t even drive without a parent inside.

“Every time I get a chance I’m out there buffing on that thing all the time. I really love that thing,” he said.

Logano said despite his age he feels like one of the guys inside the Joe Gibbs garage. It will be three more years, however, before he can race for the Nextel Cup.

Logano got the chance to race in five Hooters Pro Cup races. In addition to his win he also had three top fives and one top ten.

Attachments

·
Registered
10,950 Posts
Hey Joe......great having you here!

(I don't know where those other posts went:jester )

·
Machell
20,829 Posts
Hey how about that!!! You should brag more, you deserve it!!!! Yeah not to sure about the color :lol

How do you feel about older women, my daughter is 16:) :lol :glol

·
Registered
117 Posts
Go Joey!

smokin Joe,
As a Mark Martin fan, I have kinda followed your budding career. Wish you the best of everything. Hope to meet you sometime, someplace. :seeya
Stan

·
Registered
35 Posts
i was doing an interview Sat. and the guy asked me what i drove and i told him a ssr. so i was watch it on tv and the guy said i drove an srsi was so mad:smash

·
Machell
20,829 Posts
Yeah I have heard people ask, is that and SRR or RSS, Some people just don't get it!

Now about that older woman question, Wanna see a picture of my daughter :lol :) JK

·
Registered
10,950 Posts
smokin Joe said:
i was doing an interview Sat. and the guy asked me what i drove and i told him a ssr. so i was watch it on tv and the guy said i drove an srsi was so mad:smash

I get people saying SRS all of the time....but maybe that's because in my line of business an SRS is a System Requirement Specification.....which all of our computer programs are written to conform to :jester

Oh well.....there's so many more important things in life.....like top down driving with the radio cranked :smash

·
Thank You To Our Troops
19,853 Posts
smokin Joe said:
hey thats me:jester
Hey Smokin Joe,
Welcome aboard. I am a fellow North Carolinian.
I live in Maggie Valley. Your not that far away. If you have been reading the threads you can see I'm hosting a meet for a run on the Dragon (Deals Gap) (Hauling Ass on the Tail of the Dragon)
If your not to busy with all your racing duties (which I'm sure you probably are) you should attend. All the Fanatics would love to meet you I'm sure.

·
Registered
3,003 Posts
wildcat66 said:
Yeah I have heard people ask, is that and SRR or RSS, Some people just don't get it!

Now about that older woman question, Wanna see a picture of my daughter :lol :) JK
Better not pass this offer up for the picture. She's a real cutie!!:jester

·
Registered
599 Posts
wildcat66 said:
Hey how about that!!! You should brag more, you deserve it!!!! Yeah not to sure about the color :lol

How do you feel about older women, my daughter is 16:) :lol :glol
I guess somebody is looking for tickets to a NASCAR event...L.O.L.

Welcome aboard JoeY!

·
SSR Owners Group
3,753 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Man-O-Man - if I only had an SSR when I was 15! :reddevil

BTW Joey - I have a 16 YO daughter too! See you at Sears Point! :glol :glol

·
Registered
10,950 Posts
All right who on board has a 30-40ish single daughter :jester:rolleyes: ? or is one themselves?

·
Registered
2,454 Posts
Way ta go Joe!!!! Welcome aboard! We too polish these babys as if they were jewels, which they are of course.:seeya

1 - 20 of 55 Posts