Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
SSR Enthusiast
2004 Chevrolet SSR #10111 Ricochet Silver
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On my way home today I noticed that the temperature gauge began to rise but I didn’t worry too much because I’m used to the temperature being a bit over 220 before the fan kicks on. I had the top down and the A/C on and before I know it I was redlining at 260. Luckily I was a block from home and got it to the driveway. I opened the hood and didn’t see a leak of any kind and my overflow tank was at the normal level. I did notice that the top and bottom radiator hoses were very hot (expected) and hard as a rock almost as if they were going to blow up. Usually I can squeeze the hoses and they would be somewhat pliable. Not this time. I turned the truck back on a few minutes ago with the a/c on and the fan never came on-maybe that’s the issue? Been running solid since I bought it.
I just hit 17,000 miles yesterday and have owned the R since April. I don’t know what, if any thing has been changed or serviced before I became the owner.
Any advice on what I should look for in assessing the overheating issue is very much appreciated.
Thanks so much.
Brian

·
Ex SoCal Nut
9,931 Posts
Here's some Good reading for you. Note the info from Mike in Az. Also, spin the fan blade and see if it is spinning Freely. If Not, try tapping the side of the motor a few times with the side of a hammer handle to see if some of the Brush debris will dislodge and allow the fan to spin. Then start the truck and go thru Mike's check.

https://www.ssrfanatic.com/forum/f5/fan-upgrade-245049/

Hope this helps....

·
Premium Member
2006 S/C Silver & 2006 Pac Blue 6spd
1,006 Posts
Here's some Good reading for you. Note the info from Mike in Az. Also, spin the fan blade and see if it is spinning Freely. If Not, try tapping the side of the motor a few times with the side of a hammer handle to see if some of the Brush debris will dislodge and allow the fan to spin. Then start the truck and go thru Mike's check.

https://www.ssrfanatic.com/forum/f5/fan-upgrade-245049/

Hope this helps....
Good plan. Then call @Mike in AZ and tell him what you’ve found, he can hook you up with what you need.
Could be just a cooling system tune up, or fan or both. FWIW: Since you don’t know the history of the vehicle, I’d suggest the tuneup regardless.

- Robert
:silver:

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Temp in my truck would fluctuate from 200 to 230+ especially in traffic. Replaced hoses, reservoir tank, cap, thermostat temp. still fluctuated. Replaced fan with Mikes fan and had truck tuned by Jeremy temp. now runs around 190-200 consistently. You might want to look into doing this, Jeremy is in Clearwater area of Fl. and does tune ups at SSR rally's

·
Bad is Good
288 Posts
On my way home today I noticed that the temperature gauge began to rise but I didn’t worry too much because I’m used to the temperature being a bit over 220 before the fan kicks on. I had the top down and the A/C on and before I know it I was redlining at 260. Luckily I was a block from home and got it to the driveway. I opened the hood and didn’t see a leak of any kind and my overflow tank was at the normal level. I did notice that the top and bottom radiator hoses were very hot (expected) and hard as a rock almost as if they were going to blow up. Usually I can squeeze the hoses and they would be somewhat pliable. Not this time. I turned the truck back on a few minutes ago with the a/c on and the fan never came on-maybe that’s the issue? Been running solid since I bought it.
I just hit 17,000 miles yesterday and have owned the R since April. I don’t know what, if any thing has been changed or serviced before I became the owner.
Any advice on what I should look for in assessing the overheating issue is very much appreciated.
Thanks so much.
Brian

brian if you need a stock fan for the time being . i have my old oem one if you need it
bennyb

·
SSR Enthusiast
2004 Chevrolet SSR #10111 Ricochet Silver
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks BennyB for the offer. Fortunately, I have another vehicle to drive in the meantime and I’m blessed that it pegged the temp gauge less than a block away from home. It’s in the driveway now and I’ll call Mike this afternoon to seek his assistance in troubleshooting the fan. I messed around with it last night by turning the truck on with the AC, but the fan never came on-so at the very least I know that either the fuse is blown or the fan is toast. I looked at the 60 amp fuse but didn’t notice anything unusual from the top view. I’ll try to take it out later and inspect it.
Hard to say if the fan problem is intermittent or not. I mostly drive it on the highway and it stays at 200 with the top down and the a/c running. In traffic it will usually hovers around that temp as well. That being said, the A/C is always running.
Yesterday was no different until all of a sudden I start noticing the temp going to 230 and higher with the AC on. Soonthereafter, I was fullly pegged to the right and parked it 3 minutes later.
Since I bought the R a few months ago I’ve been reading many posts that said to replace the fan right away even if the OEM fan was working. I didn’t listen to that advice and now the truck is parked. Oh well. Live and learn.
I’m thankful to all of you that provide help on a daily basis. Looking forward to speaking to Mike later on and getting his fan installed ASAP.

Brian :silver:

·
Premium Member
7,280 Posts
Mikes fans (pusher & puller) plus a Tune from Joe Delano at the 2015 International SSR Rally took care of mine. However my Temperature Gauge only jumped up to about 230 in town but never on the road with the old OEM fan. Very Happy with Mike's Fans and Joe's Tune. tennesseecozydog :ssr

1 - 10 of 10 Posts