Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for a receiver style hitch and came across a Bosal manufactured unit made for the Tesla X. After a little research it appears that Bosal is a subsidiary of the SSR manufactured hitch.
Before I take the plunge on purchasing one can someone confirm if it is compatible with the factory provided hitch?

·
Supporting SSR Hobbyist
10,262 Posts
The SSR hitch insert was originally manufactured by Oris in Germany. Bosal bought Oris a number of years ago and continued to manufacture the SSR hitch through 2017. The last shipment of SSR hitches from Bosal/Oris arrived in the USA about a year ago. I am told by my contact at Bosal that there will be no more SSR hitches manufactured. I think that Wild Bill’s SSR Parts may still have a couple new ones on hand.....

EDIT NOV 7, 2020
I have received a batch of hitches from Bosal/Oris. They are now in stock..... Mike

If I understand your question...... It is whether or not a Tesla insert will fit into an SSR mount....... This is uncharted territory. I don’t know of anyone that has tried this yet. I would suggest you get an SSR insert and a Tesla insert side-by-side and do a bunch of measuring.

Let us know what you find.....

Regards,

Mike

·
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS
1,830 Posts
Do you know the price if the Tesla X bosal hitch insert?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
They are @250. The reason I am interested is that it is a receiver instead of a ball which is a bit more useful to me.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If anyone can provide measurements that would be much appreciated. Obviously shaft dia/ top to first set of lock bearings/ top to taper and top to right angle transition.i have not seen either one except in pictures so do not have a good bellweather to go off of, but from the picks it looks promising.

·
Premium Member
230 Posts
Yes, you are right, the 2" x 2" box hitch does offer additional advantages even though it will be somewhat limited on weight etc. It will
probably have the same limitations as the existing "ball hitch". It sure would be nice for someone to come up with a 2" box hitch for
our SSR's that will have better weight limitations. The "beast" should be able to handle heaver loads. Several members have already
fabricated hitches to meet this need. It didn't look too complicated. But, for someone, like Mike, to manufacture this, there is a lot of
responsibility involved. A 2" box hitch - a good idea. Be nice if it was there from the beginning. LAZY ONE

·
Premium Member
2,594 Posts
Yes, you are right, the 2" x 2" box hitch does offer additional advantages even though it will be somewhat limited on weight etc. It will
probably have the same limitations as the existing "ball hitch". It sure would be nice for someone to come up with a 2" box hitch for
our SSR's that will have better weight limitations. The "beast" should be able to handle heaver loads. Several members have already
fabricated hitches to meet this need. It didn't look too complicated. But, for someone, like Mike, to manufacture this, there is a lot of
responsibility involved. A 2" box hitch - a good idea. Be nice if it was there from the beginning. LAZY ONE
:puzzled:

I was of the impression that towing limitations (weight) regarding the SSR all had to do with the known overheating problems that were learned early on......not so much cause of weight limitations of the hitch setup itself.:nerd:

·
Premium Member
230 Posts
As far as dimensions go I wonder if Mike Yatkowitz is still at Bosal. He is one who could answer questions of compatibility. One should be
able to reach him at 800 631 7271 Ext. 227 or <[email protected]>. In the meantime there is a Tesla Model "X" hitch on eBay
1027582-00-A for $225.00. Love to grab it but, the investment hurts at the time. LAZY ONE

·
Premium Member
230 Posts
You may be right about the towing limitations. Mike in AZ has all but cleared up the overheating problems that plagued GM. I'm just
looking at the mounting underneath and identifying the limitations because of this. If I'm wrong, then the limitations could go up if
Mike's remedies have been used. interesting. LAZY ONE

·
Premium Member
9,391 Posts
The "beast" should be able to handle heaver loads. A 2" box hitch - a good idea. Be nice if it was there from the beginning. LAZY ONE
:puzzled:

I was of the impression that towing limitations (weight) regarding the SSR all had to do with the known overheating problems that were learned early on......not so much cause of weight limitations of the hitch setup itself.:nerd:

Fair to speculate that the SSR frame will have the same 7000 lb weight capabilities as the Trailblazer.

Cooling is definitely the limiting factor, but anyone who has upgraded the fan and lowered the "turn on" temperature for the fan should be fine.

The easiest way to eliminate the weight limitations of the Oris hitch (and the concerns wondering if the damned thing will hold on) would be to remove the rear valence, unbolt the stock hitch, slide it out and bolt in a 2" received hitch assembly from a wrecked Trailblazer.

I looked at getting a Trailblazer hitch assembly early on. Not available from an aftermarket supplier, because every Trailblazer came with one. Never did check the price or availability from GM.

Reactions: 240 Gordy

·
Supporting SSR Hobbyist
10,262 Posts
About 5 years ago, I was working with the Bosal/Oris applications engineering group to try and get a 2” square receiver (similar to the Tesla X unit) built for us to replace the forged insert that came on the SSR. The technology was there, but the product liability issues involved were enourmous. Bosal/Oris declined to follow through on installing any “non certified” insert into the SSR. Mike Yatkowitz has been my main point of contact for years...... Perhaps he can shed some light on this for you. Please note that the “system” stress testing is only valid with the original design insert into the original design mounting assembly. Any official validation of the Tesla insert into the SSR mount would be the result of actual load testing by Bosal/Oris.

The big issue (in my opinion) is the “vertical leg” of the hitch mount and the side load that can come as a result of a “user selected” two inch square hitch extension/insert. I’ve seen some pretty long ones that would put huge amounts of stress on the system.

Please also be sure to read some of the user/owner reports on the Tesla X insert. It appears that there are some people who have given some unsatisfactory feedback.

I hope you approach this with caution.

My two cents,

Mike

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Just looking to install my bicycle carrier hitch on my SSR as I have recently sold my Avalanche and will be relocating to Sarasota. We will have the SSR/ Mini convertible and a Honda Element. None of which will be good for transporting our Rat Fink cruiser bicycles. The Honda will be carrying the Kayak :grin2:and the R would compliment the cruisers perfectly:shades:IMHO you would be a special kind of stupid to overload towing capacity
Thanks for the input I will be getting to the bottom of this.
And yes I have seen the Ebay listing which seems like a great deal. Might just get it and see if it works, would like to cover a bit of mybasis before hand though.
Really appreciate the input on the subject

·
Premium Member
2,660 Posts
Looking for a receiver style hitch and came across a Bosal manufactured unit made for the Tesla X. After a little research it appears that Bosal is a subsidiary of the SSR manufactured hitch.
Before I take the plunge on purchasing one can someone confirm if it is compatible with the factory provided hitch?
After looking at photos of the Tesla head, I'd say it definitely wouldn't be a drop in. Like anything, with enough time and effort it could probably be made to work.

Here's my modified stock head that I use for my bike rack. In the first photo it shows the drop and curve needed to clear the rear bumper cover. The Tesla head turns 90 degrees earlier and would need clearance cut in the SSR receiver and bumper cover. The third photo shows the unique release lever that differs from the Tesla head. It appears that the Tesla head uses a ball bearing release mechanism for locking. I don't believe the Tesla head is a viable option for us, in stock form.

Attachments

Reactions: spook

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Topspin,
Thanks for the info. Like your R,same year/ color as mine. I opted for the auto because I guess I am getting lazy in my old age.
Any how , appreciate everyone’s input looks like I will have to figure something else out. That’s part of the fun of owning something different from the norm.

·
Premium Member
2,660 Posts
Topspin,
Thanks for the info. Like your R,same year/ color as mine. I opted for the auto because I guess I am getting lazy in my old age.
Any how , appreciate everyone’s input looks like I will have to figure something else out. That’s part of the fun of owning something different from the norm.
Yep, there's nothing like "Arrest Me Red" for a hot rod!

Do you have a Cobra kit car? It's funny as that was my other choice when I ordered my R. I was going to build the Cobra, but in 05 they released the LS2 and T56 for the SSR and that changed my mindset - had to have a stick for my fun car!

Attachments

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yes, Factory 5, I built it in 08it’s a monster with fangs. 347 fuel injected full roller motor with a Paxton @ 12# boost.Totally impractical especially here in Colorado.

·
Premium Member
2,660 Posts
Yes, Factory 5, I built it in 08it’s a monster with fangs. 347 fuel injected full roller motor with a Paxton @ 12# boost.Totally impractical especially here in Colorado.
Wow, that would be a beast - don't know that I've seen one boosted! What's the curb weight? How about a few pics?

·
Premium Member
1,312 Posts
Top Spin: I have made almost the exact same hitch for a bike and an umbrella as well. I use the umbrella all the time on the power tour and at car shows.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
2200# on the nose,will try to load pix have them on my work computer. Dyno was at 490h/510tq @ rear. Any advise on loading pix on this site?

1 - 20 of 42 Posts