Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,809 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While MicDonna, SSReplay and I were touring Pickens Fort in Pensacola a gentleman seen our SSR logos and told us he was one of the test Engineers hired by GM to tested the SSR. He said first downfalls was money and the 18 month push it to production. One of the first things they discovered was the overheating while testing. He said GM fought there suggestion to move battery but finally gave it. He has a lot of data and testing he is willing to share. Will try and get it from him.

·
BLU SSR
2,489 Posts
While MicDonna, SSReplay and I were touring Pickens Fort in Pensacola a gentleman seen our SSR logos and told us he was one of the test Engineers hired by GM to tested the SSR. He said first downfalls was money and the 18 month push it to production. One of the first things they discovered was the overheating while testing. He said GM fought there suggestion to move battery but finally gave it. He has a lot of data and testing he is willing to share. Will try and get it from him.
He was very friendly and has a lot of insider info that after years of being told not to share he is still a little hesitant to share answers without direct questions, just out of habit. We told him that there was a very active Florida contingent and to please check out this site, hopefully he will show up at a future Florida rally. Nice guy, was involved on the top testing and specifically ask if we had any trouble with the wires at the hinges! Hmmmm. Hope he makes it to a rally so you guys can show him the fixes the gurus have come up with.

·
Premium Member
4,809 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Bill Smith?
Gerald Tobin
Awesome find, how cool.
Yes it was. He walked up and started talking SSR like he was part of the family. He told Mic (@MicDonna ) how many R's they went through testing, I think 30 something. I ask him what was the most fun vehicle he tested and said the GMC Syclone with all wheel drive.

·
Ms Donna's Driver
04’ Silver and 05’ Sinister
3,349 Posts
Jim and I will take pride and credit to meeting and talking to this fellow ... However, it was @SWT RYD wearing his SSR jacket that attracted his attention. So the moral to all this is that everyone should wear their SSR apparel when out among strangers because you never now who may have ,or does own an SSR and doesn’t know about our family. Or like in this case someone may come up to you and tell you they worked on the assembly line or in the engineering department or else wise. Sometimes it is just a small world !!!

·
One of the SoCal Nuts
27,675 Posts
Years ago a guy who worked on Toronados at LCC came up to me at a motel and told me he worked at the plant where they made the SSR but he was transferred before they started on the SSR. You never knwo.

·
Premium Member
433 Posts
I had a gentleman come up to me years ago at The pavilions here in Scottsdale on the Saturday cruise and told me he was one of the GM engineers doing suspension design on the SSR. He wasn’t very happy with the design and the interference he was getting from higher up so he quit the project before production and went back to the Corvette division. I may even have mentioned this and his name in a post some five or six years ago. I haven’t got a hope of remembering his name now.

Shawn

·
Premium Member
4,809 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I had a gentleman come up to me years ago at The pavilions here in Scottsdale on the Saturday cruise and told me he was one of the GM engineers doing suspension design on the SSR. He wasn’t very happy with the design and the interference he was getting from higher up so he quit the project before production and went back to the Corvette division. I may even have mentioned this and his name in a post some five or six years ago. I haven’t got a hope of remembering his name now.

Shawn
Exactly what this gentleman said, Rushed to get by it done in 18 months.

·
SSR Pit Crew
12,030 Posts
Bill Smith?
Do you mean Bill Davis GM Vehicle Chief Designer. Leader SSR production design team.

Lives in Florida in the winter. Has two Yellow SSR's, one in Michigan and one in Florida.

Came to Florida Annual Rally and talked for one hour.

Been to my house, been to our Tech Seminars.

Called me for "Shift Cable Kit".

Page 45 in SSR an American original book.

Dicktator

Attachments

·
Perfectionist
510 Posts
Yes! I got that wrong! I talked to him on the phone one day for an hour. What a great guy to bisit with! So many stories to share about the ssr.

·
Eat-Breathe-Sleep-SSR's
1,475 Posts
I have these photo's for your enjoyment, that I purchased from a fellow that worked in the development area of the SSR at the Lansing Craft Center. I have had these photo's for several years, I don't know if any of you fellow Fanatics have ever seen these shots?

Attachments

·
SSR Believer
1,052 Posts
So the Silver was the one and only original and all other colors followed. lol ol !!!

Being called the Primer color is quite appropriate
I have these photo's for your enjoyment, that I purchased from a fellow that worked in the development area of the SSR at the Lansing Craft Center. I have had these photo's for several years, I don't know if any of you fellow Fanatics have ever seen these shots?
Very cool. I had never seen any of those. Thanks for sharing! (y)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts