Chevy SSR Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I went to the local Chevy dealership to see if they had any SSRs in stock and pick up some brochures for those of you that I know collect this stuff, I thought a brochure written in Thai might be a neat addition to your collection.
Not only did they not have any in stock they had no clue what I was talking about. Let me back up, if anybody wants to go on a vacation to the far east Thailand is a good place to visit, the exchange is 40 to one in currence. I hired a driver and a car ( E class MB $100.00 a day with driver 10 hrs.) We head out to see the sights, my wife and grandson, first place is the dealership. So here I am in the middle of the showroom trying to show them how the top goese down on this truck. They look at me like I am nuts, my driver looks at me like O.K. where do you want to go next, the hospital?
So no brochures, still a good place to visit. We hired the car 2 days went all over the place food and all cost $400.00 for 6 days. We did the same thing in Hong Kong no SSRs. It's more expensive there and isn't my favorite.

·
Registered
487 Posts
Ken Thurm said:
So no brochures, still a good place to visit. We hired the car 2 days went all over the place food and all cost $400.00 for 6 days. We did the same thing in Hong Kong no SSRs. It's more expensive there and isn't my favorite.

Ken, I'm going to China in November.....Do you think I will find anyone who knows what a "Real" SSR looks like. Some of the toys just don't look right.

Joe Davis
StepPrinting.com

·
Resident Rocket Scientist
11,999 Posts
Thailand

Ken, I assume you went to the Grand Palace, maybe the floating market, and maybe a dinner boat ride on the Chao Priyah river?? We have a blast over there and can hardly wait to go see family and friends the next time. Lots of other place to go visit if and when you go back.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
hdflstf said:
Ken, I assume you went to the Grand Palace, maybe the floating market, and maybe a dinner boat ride on the Chao Priyah river?? We have a blast over there and can hardly wait to go see family and friends the next time. Lots of other place to go visit if and when you go back.
No, none of those places. My grandson chose the agenda, he wanted to feed a real elephant and go for a ride on one, go to a Buddist temple and see a real monk, see where the boat people live, and go for a ride in a Junk up the river, and go to the beach. But if you don't mind next year I will take your suggestions.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yes,
The people and children we met were very friendly. The kids were really cute using there english. We felt very welcome, I am looking forward to next year staying longer, one week is not long enough.

·
Tu-Tone club member
5,782 Posts
"Sawadee, cup"

Spent 5 years there during the Viet Nam years, mostly up country in Ubon. Bangkok is a magnificient city. Language is difficult to learn but the Thais will appreciate you more if you attempt to speak it. Bartering is a way of life there, so to earn respect you should barter when buying items. That includes "everything"

Avoid driving if you can as they drive on the opposite side of the road and its so congested its nerve racking. If you take a cab, believe it or not, and the cab has an accident, leave the agreed upon amount on the seat, and vacate the cab. If the cops show up when your there the accident is your fault because he would not have been there if it wasn't for you.

Customs are a big deal there. Never cross your legs or feet when setting across from someone. Pointing a foot at them is an ill will gesture. Also don't pat them on the head....another derogatory gesture.

English is taught in schools and most younger Thais understand well enough ,but may be out of practice speaking English.

Would love to go back there just to see the changes.

P/P

Peace :flag

·
Resident Rocket Scientist
11,999 Posts
Ken - those were just a couple of the more touristy things people do. We can always discuss other things to see and do there. Hopefully we will be going back next year for 3 weeks or so (sanuk mak!).
PP - changes - yes. I remember my first time over there looking over the sea of people not much over 5' tall. The "new kids" are now as tall or taller than me. I remember the roads being built by many laborers a bucket at a time. Now it's all heavy equipment.. Traffic still sucks! :thumbs

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.