Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I pulled up against a parking lot bumper about a week ago. Later I found the rectangular air dam that hanges from the bottom of the cooling shroud, dangling by one pop rivit. The rivits had all self distructed when the air dam was folded back.

Today I stopped by the parts dept, $1.95 each with 5 needed!
Dang! for $10 I should be able to buy a box of 100.

I guess I'll have to go with the "cheaper" stainless screws and self locking nuts found at hardware stores everywhere. :)

·
Machell
20,829 Posts
well at least you still have your air dam, mine is gone and my dealer wants me to buy a new one for $50. I told him it came with it he will get me another. I don't have it yet, but I also haven't bugged him about it.

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, I've been watching the temp guage since removal of the air dam. I haven't seen an increase in operating temp yet.

·
Retired GM Program Manager/ Chief SSR Engineer
549 Posts
Under high load, high temperature conditions you need the air dam. Since it is a flat panel, clear or colored lexan would probably be a good replacement. The holes in the crossmember serve as a template. You could also give it some styled shape. I never did care for the looks of this part.

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Machell,

I went out and got the air dam from my SSR the Here are the dimensions needed if you choose to make one:

23" WIDE
2-1/2" TALL
3/32" THICK

With five 9/32" diameter holes spaced , center to center, 5-1/8" apart.

The middle hole is halfway across the width, and all holes are centered 5/16" down from the top edge.

·
Registered
8 Posts
air dam

beer100 said:
Well, I've been watching the temp guage since removal of the air dam. I haven't seen an increase in operating temp yet.
can you tell me more on this thing called air dam i would like to bring the temp down.

·
Registered
8 Posts
air dam

freezer said:
Under high load, high temperature conditions you need the air dam. Since it is a flat panel, clear or colored lexan would probably be a good replacement. The holes in the crossmember serve as a template. You could also give it some styled shape. I never did care for the looks of this part.
can you tell me more on this part called a air dam?

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
melodymaker said:
can you tell me more on this part called a air dam?
It's just a flat sheet of black plastic of the dimensions mentioned before. If it hasn't been knocked off, you can see it by looking under the front of the SSR. It hangs down from the radiator shroud. In that position it blocks some of the air that would pass under the truck, forcing more air through the radiator. More air through the radiator core equals better cooling.

Ps. It's only going to bring the temp down to the minimum that the thermostat allows.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts