Chevy SSR Forum banner
1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Premium Member
2006 SLINGSHOT AUTOMATIC
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
The Beauty of the SSR is that they just don't get it. The Super Sport Roadster is an amazing modern day Hot Rod you could buy off the shelf. The body styling makes it a "Timeless Classic". Wherever I go I get the doubletake, the " hey what the heck is that? " and thats F***ing gorgeous! . No one can guess the year or the make and model unless the Bowtie is staring them in the face. When you tell the older crowd that is based on a 1950's pick up some seem to start to get it. Nothing sexier than big stamped metal fenders and a sweet rear end on the SSR. I guess you can say she is the "Pin-Up Truck" for old farts like me trying to hang on to something that beckons back to a time when cars and trucks weren't just thrown together, they were actually a piece of automotive art. I honestly have to say that each time I drive the SSR the permagrin is inevitable. I think @Marc NY needs to run a contest where we Fanatics put into 60 words or less how we feel each time we turn the key and place the SSR in drive. How about it Marc ?

·
Registered
'05 Aqua Blur 6-spd
985 Posts
... Nothing sexier than big stamped metal fenders and a sweet rear end on the SSR. ... the "Pin-Up Truck" ... a piece of automotive art. ...
I think you've captured the best description of the SSR I've ever read. In only 23 words. You'd be the winner of the contest you suggested! :cool:

I took the running boards off of my R to emphsize the sexy "big stamped medal fenders."

·
Premium Member
2006 SLINGSHOT AUTOMATIC
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Like the old Harley-Davidson saying... "if you have to ask, you wouldn't understand".
Hey Wizzr, I had a Harley Mid Life episode a few years ago and the wife said you can get an SSR if you sell the Harley. So I guess you know what happened.LOL

·
Premium Member
2006 SLINGSHOT AUTOMATIC
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I think you've captured the best description of the SSR I've ever read. In only 23 words. You'd be the winner of the contest you suggested! :cool:

I took the running boards off of my R to emphsize the sexy "big stamped medal fenders."
Thanks Kenn, I have often thought about taking off the boards too until I try to clean the windshield of roof. LOL

·
SSR Believer
3,881 Posts
The Beauty of the SSR is that they just don't get it. The Super Sport Roadster is an amazing modern day Hot Rod you could buy off the shelf. The body styling makes it a "Timeless Classic". Wherever I go I get the doubletake, the " hey what the heck is that? " and thats F***ing gorgeous! . No one can guess the year or the make and model unless the Bowtie is staring them in the face. When you tell the older crowd that is based on a 1950's pick up some seem to start to get it. Nothing sexier than big stamped metal fenders and a sweet rear end on the SSR. I guess you can say she is the "Pin-Up Truck" for old farts like me trying to hang on to something that beckons back to a time when cars and trucks weren't just thrown together, they were actually a piece of automotive art. I honestly have to say that each time I drive the SSR the permigrin is inevitable. I think Marc needs to run a contest where we Fanatics put into 60 words or less how we feel each time we turn the key and place the SSR in drive. How about it Marc ?
Couldn't agree more! 👌 Ours gets mistaken for a "kit car" more than anything. A couple of folks asked if it was a Studebaker (black pickup below). @SWT RYD thought that, besides the "Advanced Design" of the late 40's early 50's Chevy Pickups that the folks at GM got some additional inspiration from the old AU Holden utes (blue pickup below). I can see all that. But our SSRs are certainly one-of-a-kind modern day classics IMHO. ;)

Wheel Tire Vehicle Car Window
Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Plant
Tire Wheel Vehicle Car Motor vehicle

·
SSR Believer
3,881 Posts
Hey Doophus, I am trying to get the Vanity tag "VETRUCK" here in Maryland once they start doing them again .
I like the running joke here - when someone asks if they put a 'Vette engine in the SSR, tell them "nope, they put an SSR engine in the Corvettes"! :LOL:

·
Slingshot Rules!
88,595 Posts
The running boards really help reduce rear fender damage from sticks 'n stones.
Excellent point, @richsadams . . .

I have always preferred the "No Boards Look" but after checking some "Befores and Afters" at Car Shows and Tech Sessions . . . THE BOARDS WON BY A MILE.

! :cool: ! (y) ! :cool: ! (y) ! :cool: !

·
Premium Member
2005 SSR
60 Posts
When I bought my SSR I was looking for something that stood out as different, would give me a bit of excitement, and that I could get into without having to worry about how I was going to get back out. A person can sit and watch cars go down any main street for hours and get board at seeing cars and SUVs that really all look very similar. I personally had not done a ton of research on our roadsters before I bought mine, in fact when they first came out I was only mildly intrigued. But after driving the Jag convertibl, an Audi convertible, a Lexus convertible, a Toyota and an XLR, I finally drove my “R” and bought it the next day. It is in hibernation right now and it kills me waiting to drive it again! Everyone has different tastes and preferences but I have never seen a car that elicits so much Interest. Even if it is negative commentary at least it promotes a reaction. I also didn’t want to spend a small fortune to scratch my itch. After one spring, summer and fall in this car, I would recommend them to anyone. It also seems to have a pretty cool family of owners! Just my view.

·
Premium Member
2006 SLINGSHOT AUTOMATIC
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Couldn't agree more! 👌 Ours gets mistaken for a "kit car" more than anything. A couple of folks asked if it was a Studebaker (black pickup below). @SWT RYD thought that, besides the "Advanced Design" of the late 40's early 50's Chevy Pickups that the folks at GM got some additional inspiration from the old AU Holden utes (blue pickup below). I can see all that. But our SSRs are certainly one-of-a-kind modern day classics IMHO. ;)

View attachment 608512 View attachment 608513 View attachment 608514
Thanks Rich for the short history lesson of the SSR and the inspirations that helped bring it to life.

·
Premium Member
2006 SLINGSHOT AUTOMATIC
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
When I bought my SSR I was looking for something that stood out as different, would give me a bit of excitement, and that I could get into without having to worry about how I was going to get back out. A person can sit and watch cars go down any main street for hours and get board at seeing cars and SUVs that really all look very similar. I personally had not done a ton of research on our roadsters before I bought mine, in fact when they first came out I was only mildly intrigued. But after driving the Jag convertibl, an Audi convertible, a Lexus convertible, a Toyota and an XLR, I finally drove my “R” and bought it the next day. It is in hibernation right now and it kills me waiting to drive it again! Everyone has different tastes and preferences but I have never seen a car that elicits so much Interest. Even if it is negative commentary at least it promotes a reaction. I also didn’t want to spend a small fortune to scratch my itch. After one spring, summer and fall in this car, I would recommend them to anyone. It also seems to have a pretty cool family of owners! Just my view.
Amen Abel !

·
Premium Member
2006 Pacific Blue 6 speed Custom
5,832 Posts
I have always thought that the term "PermaGrin" says it all about our cool little trucks! Heck, I get one just walking in the garage and seeing Thunder parked there!
Can't wait till Spring here in Ohio! 😁

·
Premium Member
2004 SSR chevy slingshot yellow
229 Posts
I just wish , that they thought about the weight of the truck. And had made it more like a Corvette, and used carbon fiber, or fiber glass.
We be getting better gas mileage, and a bigger permagrin. And a lot more to talk about.
Just saying
Also when I see a Corvette from the time that our trucks came out they look boring, the new ones look cool.

1 - 20 of 70 Posts