Chevy SSR Forum banner
21 - 40 of 57 Posts

·
Super Moderator
14,311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 · (Edited)
Though not done back in the day and not sure it should be included on your list, just had Callaway install latest version of their 2300 Corvette supercharger in my 2006 6 speed SSR. Awesome performance upgrade though a 2 week installation estimate by Callaway turned into 11 weeks! Not happy with the long delay but worth the wait. They did a great job!
Just an opinion:
I don't believe GM sanctioned any Callaway builds - so it isn't like any are "one of whatever"
I haven't expressed any huge opinion on this, but I have given advice as to the lack of genuine rarity of these SSR's.

Of course the reason is that anyone can take their vehicle in to Callaway and have them modify it.
All I can say is there were 4 Callaway modified SSR's prior to this (as divulged from Callaway)

I was rather surprised to see that someone would take a 11 year old SSR to Callaway - but obviously should not have been, and we may see more to follow.
To my knowledge, none of the 4 noted Callaways were assigned from GM, all from individuals - therefore, yours is no different and should be "considered" as a Callaway SSR.

I doubt we will ever see hundreds of Callaway SSR's - therefore will always have there place in SSR lore.
Congrats!

When I say "none" were GM sanctioned, I have not been able to confirm the :blur: - I have been unable to contact the owner
I am pretty sure it was a private build request, as is yours

Obviously you love the SSR, and think the Callaway was a worthy upgrade.
This is very cool, and gives reason to think there could be more Callaway SSR upgrades in our future - but surely very limited!

·
Premium Member
9,506 Posts
Of course the reason is that anyone can take their vehicle in to Callaway and have them modify it.
All I can say is there were 4 Callaway modified SSR's prior to this (as divulged from Callaway)

This is very cool, and gives reason to think there could be more Callaway SSR upgrades in our future - but surely very limited!
This is so far the only known Callaway with a TVS2300. The others were all MP112s.

·
Premium Member
31 Posts
Someone please send me phone # to text photos so they can post on this thread...I don't know how. My number is 917-882-9882 Nardo Grey is an Audi color used on their high end RS7 model.

·
One of the SoCal Nuts
ROTM 1/2016 - 2006 PacBlues 376 & 29
30,229 Posts
Someone please send me phone # to text photos so they can post on this thread...I don't know how. My number is 917-882-9882 Nardo Grey is an Audi color used on their high end RS7 model.
email them to CASH. He posted his email in post #7.

·
Super Moderator
14,311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 · (Edited)
Cash what ever happened to the 1 of 1 Mallet SSR ( I think that was the name of the company )
Not sure - last recorded info is registered in OH in 2011 with 9200 miles
Lots of options as to what happened but IMO the Mallett is in a private collection

However, when the Car Fax goes dead there is always the possibility of being exported

·
Super Moderator
14,311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 · (Edited)
Spoke with George and confirmed the VIN
I have recorded this SSR's history over the past 5 years.
She is MY2006 #22920

Callaway would only grant a warranty on a vehicle with low mileage (I forget what George said was the cutoff but under 10k anyway)
George bought #22920 out of Colorado - shipped to Callaway.
George is an old hotrodder that wanted to do it his way.
His intention was to build a very cool SSR with the idea of gifting it to his grandson when eligible.
Sounds like grandson is a pretty cool kid as he had input into the build.

Reactions: mikebike

·
Premium Member
9,506 Posts
Contacted Callaway yesterday about a SSR build. Got reply today stating they no longer offer a SSR build.
Contact Joe at LeftCoast32. He supplied my TVS2300, now has a TVS1900 available. With his support, I was able to do the entire installation on my own in my home garage. I used a borrowed engine hoist to put the supercharger in place. A lot easier than having two people lean over the fenders to get it home.

I did a lot of additional things to mine as part of the install, and very happy with the results.

Some photos of the finished product in my garage.

Reactions: S2NAZ and mikebike

·
Premium Member
31 Posts
While I am extremely pleased with the recent installation of a Callaway supercharger I am not surprised they are not taking any more orders for the following reasons 1) The new 2300 superchargers to fit require that the top of the firewall be moved back slightly; 2) They greatly underestimated the difficulty, cost and amount of time to install the model 2300 supercharger; 3) They estimated that the installation would take 2 weeks and it took 11 weeks. After the 4th week the local shop that recommended Callaway and booked the installation called them and was told it would take another week but it would be done. For five more weeks my shop was told it would be done the next week and it wasn't.; 4) When the installation was complete Callaway asked the shop I was working with to pay more money and they refused. My shop didn't like being strung along 7 weeks and told so many times the work would be completed and wasn't. They felt it reflected poorly on them with their customers for having made the recommendation. So I'm not surprised.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
9,506 Posts
Flassh, beautiful SSR...love the engine bay. Your easy self installation of a 2300 really baffles me based on what Callaway kept telling us about their efforts. Thanks for sharing.
I'm not a mechanic, so ran into a few challenges, never having done one before. Toughest job was pushing back the firewall, and the cleanup and repainting to make it look like nothing happened.

I also had a bit of a learning curve to remove the center bolt on the crank pulley so I could drill and pin the pulley. The instructions don't tell you the original bolt is locked in with Locktite red, and requires considerable heat before it moves. Joe steered me through that process.

Made a number of changes during the install. Mike in AZ supplied a higher quality intercooler rad bracket. I installed a polished heavy duty billet tensioner, and a polished Corvette throttle body from LC32. The throttle body created more challenges because of its design. The throttle body control harness sat really close to the jackshaft. LC32 has engineered a billet inlet which improves clearances, and significantly outperforms the stock Magnuson inlet. It's not cheap, but a very nice product. You can see it on this video about Joe's LSX build. The inlet took the HP rating from 930 to 1015. Nice engine - I'll wager it makes Joe's Trailblazer SS perform.

The HD tensioner is at 33 - 38 seconds, Corvette throttle body and billet inlet at 39 - 48 seconds. The billet bracket at the bottom of the block just after that is supplied by LC32 to remount the AC compressor if you go to a C6 oil pan instead of the stock pan. Several threads about it - highly recommended upgrade with the additional performance.

I also spent many hours exploding the wire harnesses, taking them apart, cutting and re-soldering as needed and re-routing them to clean up the appearance. Mike in AZ suggested cutting out the backside of the alternator/power steering mounting bracket to run the wires through it. Worked great and much improved the appearance. I ground, sanded and polished the bracket before reinstalling it.

I tracked time for quite a bit of the process, but quit at 200+ hours. No chance that a commercial installer could have put in the time and effort I did in the details. I started in January, had the truck on the road in April. At a very conservative $50/hour, a commercial shop would have 10 grand of labor in this install. Oh yeah - I also have an additional 2K in the original cost of the supercharger for the polishing.

Except for a few challenges, it really wasn't a difficult process, and I'm not by any stretch a mechanic. The instruction manual unfortunately assumes that everyone doing this is a mechanic. Other than that, the information is very good, and easy to follow.

For anyone attempting this install now, Joe at LC32 is your best bet. The new TVS1900 is shorter, and does not require any firewall modifications.

·
Premium Member
31 Posts
Flassh, thank you for your thoughtful and detailed response, much appreciated. You did a damn good job and are quite the mechanic to tackle the install. Considering the time that you reported it took I owe Callaway an apology...loved the result but frustrated by the process.
I also visited your garage and made a copy of all the mechanical changes you have made to your SSR as a guide to taking mine to the next level. I've made a few upgrades similar to yours but you gave me many others to think about. Thanks.

·
RED SLED
442 Posts
1GCES14H46B117632 :yellow:

#3 of 3 Callaway Supercharged SSRs built.
Amend: 3.29.2012 - I spoke with Callaway and found out there were four Callaway SSR's. They are separated into two divisions, the MY2003 set alone and the 3 MY2005's as a group of 3. The Callaway Letters of Authenticity state # of 3 regarding these.
The very first was a MY2003 naturally aspirated :ssr with a 550 Sport 7L engine installed.
This is owned by BigJohn in CT who has been very helpful providing information enabling me to sort this out as well as I have to date.
:ssr MY2003 #1 of 1 Callaway SSR 550 Sport - M32 - CT
:blur: MY2005 #1 of 3 Callaway Supercharged - M32 - FL
:yellow: MY2005 #2 of 3 Callaway Supercharged - M10 - OH
:black: MY2005 #3 of 3 Callaway Supercharged - M32 - CA (now in OH)
:silver: MY2006 #1 of 1 Callaway Supercharged - M10 - NY

I am trying to gain more information on them by having Joanne @ Callaway forward a letter from me to the owners.

SEE Post #10

View attachment 113162 View attachment 113163 View attachment 113164 View attachment 113165 View attachment 113166

Lousy pictures unfortunately.
Chevrolet : SSR Chevrolet : SSR | eBay
Buy it Now is $48k
This is a slightly amended version of the verbiage in the listing.

From the ebay listing:

This is a fully loaded 2005 Callaway SSR. Callaway built three SSR trucks.
This is the last Callaway truck built #3 of 3. This SSR is optioned with:
1SB - Preferred equipment group heated seats and 6 CD player
14P -Chrome Wheels
VXM - Body colored accent package comes with:
BVF - Body Color running boards (not installed but come with the truck)
ERK - Cargo compartment trim w/ wood
M10 - 6-speed manual transmission
C44 - Cockpit windbreak
R6K - Special paint
VR4 - Towing package w/ hitch insert
CTD - Cargo netting
BVF - Customized floor mats
Front license plate bracket.

This is a one owner SSR that has been stored in a temperature controlled facility for its entire life.
The Callaway package adds:
- Special Callaway badging on the rear of the truck
- Fully polished supercharger and special Callaway fuel rail covers
This SSR is one that can be driven everyday, but can also give a Corvette a run for its money.
Questions please let me know. (614) 579-2506 8am - 10pm EST

**CarFax was clean with no service history noted.

This one is different from the other one that I am aware of. On the plus side this one has the polished supercharger.
The :blur: has Callaway side pipes, custom wheels, large Callaway tail gate emblem which is pretty cool.
Callaway puts different packages together and it would seem the :blur: might have been a step up.
That would have been cool to own...

·
Premium Member
9,506 Posts
Flassh, thank you for your thoughtful and detailed response, much appreciated. You did a damn good job and are quite the mechanic to tackle the install. Considering the time that you reported it took I owe Callaway an apology...loved the result but frustrated by the process.
I also visited your garage and made a copy of all the mechanical changes you have made to your SSR as a guide to taking mine to the next level. I've made a few upgrades similar to yours but you gave me many others to think about. Thanks.
If you're thinking of adding the polished Corvette throttle body, send me a PM with a phone number. It's a bit difficult to explain here, but when LC32 supplied the supercharger and throttle body, both the supercharger inlet and the throttle body had the holes expanded in a specific way so that both the inlet and throttle body could be canted upward so that the ETC connector would clear the jackshaft. The design is totally different from the stock throttle body, which works fine.

I didn't like how the setup looked. I'm big on aesthetics, and having things crooked was not appealing.

Joe's custom built billet inlet totally changes the setup, and raises the Corvette throttle body enough to give plenty of clearance. It's an expensive solution, but looks great, and improves performance.

The other concern I would have with attempting to cant both pieces on your setup is the hose on the right side. It seems really close to the jackshaft, and any canting would get it even closer. The stock inlet on mine, and the LC32 billet inlet both had all the hose inlets on the opposite side.

·
Premium Member
31 Posts
Flassh...Thanks for info on throttle body. May consider. At the moment stepping back and evaluating future options while I replenish bankbook. Do you have any views or thought about a short shifter...heard both good and bad comments though none coming from an SSR owner. After driving a Vette for the past three years I find the SSR's throw from 2nd to 3rd very long. May leave as is but always interested in other's views and experiences. Thanks again.

·
Premium Member
9,506 Posts
Flassh...Thanks for info on throttle body. May consider. At the moment stepping back and evaluating future options while I replenish bankbook. Do you have any views or thought about a short shifter...heard both good and bad comments though none coming from an SSR owner. After driving a Vette for the past three years I find the SSR's throw from 2nd to 3rd very long. May leave as is but always interested in other's views and experiences. Thanks again.
Just installed the Core/Hurst shifter. Feels very solid, but won't be able to test how it performs till sometime in April.

There are a few threads covering the install. I was able to adapt the shifter so I could use the stock knob.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Just installed the Core/Hurst shifter. Feels very solid, but won't be able to test how it performs till sometime in April.

There are a few threads covering the install. I was able to adapt the shifter so I could use the stock knob.
Hi Flassh, a question on where did you purchase the front and rear Nerf Bars you have on your truck. Cheers

21 - 40 of 57 Posts