Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Supporting SSR Hobbyist
10,262 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I finally have had completion of the GM buy-back of my 2005 Smokin’ Asphalt. It actually turned out to be a “GM Assisted Trade” for another SSR.

When we picked up our Smokin’ Asphalt SSR at the end of July, I noted that there was a discrepancy in the “black” color of some of the parts on the truck. The magnitude of this discrepancy became painfully apparent when I waxed the truck about 10 days later and got a good look at it in the sun. I took it back to the dealership and we (sales mgr, service mgr, body shop mgr and I) stood in the Phoenix sun and agreed that something needed to be done. Lots of discussions through various levels of Customer Care and GM led to the GM offer to buy our baby back. This was a gut wrenching decision that did not come easily, as our first color choice has always been black. There were many reasons to repaint or not repaint the truck, and a lot of personal decision making on both my wife’s and my part. Each option was explored and evaluated with help from the dealer and the GM rep when appropriate. We finally decided that our best option was to let GM have S/N 21232 back.

As in most of the buy backs, GM offered to do a factory assisted trade for another vehicle. This was the avenue that we chose. We shopped all over Phoenix and looked at everything in inventories, both physical and on the internet. The choice came down to one vehicle color and coincidentally; the only automatic in that color was due to arrive at the same dealership where we bought our black truck. We drove by the receiving area of our dealership on a Sunday morning and found it. It was Pacific Blue, chrome wheels and absolutely drop-dead beautiful in the morning sun. As we got back into our black SSR to drive home, the oldies station started playing “Crystal Blue Persuasion”. Debbie and I looked at each other and realized that there was more to this than we had control of. That clinched it.

Through all of this, General Motors has maintained a very positive posture and has treated us with the highest level of professional ethics I have encountered in a long time. The desire on the part of the dealership staff and General Motors to make this a win-win situation has been obvious and has paid off. I have a list of people to thank officially through GM and will be doing that ASAP.

To all of you that have counseled me on paint and color – Thank you. I appreciate your input more than you know.

To those key individuals that helped me get to the right places in GM – Thank you. I could not have done this without your guidance.

To the forum – Thank you very much. Connection to this forum carries more weight than I realized.

Debbie and I are now the proud owners of S/N 21661, a Pacific Blue baby born on 8/29/05. We have named her Crystal. See attached photos.

This is a great forum,

Mike

Attachments

·
Registered
416 Posts
It's a beautiful ride. Enjoy!

Question on the photos: are the running boards finished in chrome as well, or are they the brushed satin? I personally prefer the body color-keyed running boards, myself, but this is very much a matter of individual taste.

·
Administrator
PEDIGREE SSR
8,664 Posts
Congrats on your new ride... !

mikem-2005 said:
Through all of this, General Motors has maintained a very positive posture and has treated us with the highest level of professional ethics I have encountered in a long time. ...To those key individuals that helped me get to the right places in GM – Thank you. I could not have done this without your guidance.

To the forum – Thank you very much. Connection to this forum carries more weight than I realized.

Debbie and I are now the proud owners of S/N 21661, a Pacific Blue baby born on 8/29/05. We have named her Crystal. See attached photos.

This is a great forum, Mike
I am truly happy to know that this turned out so great for you. I am very delighted you found a new color that you seem to find so irresistible too. :)

I am also glad you decided to stay with all of us here on our great forum. I hope that the both of you get to enjoy many years with your new ride called "Crystal". :thumbs

·
Supporting SSR Hobbyist
10,262 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
JAustin - Thanks we think she is beautiful too. The boards are Satin.

Thanks Marc - Debbie and I will really start enjoying the ride....... Arizona in the winter..... AAAAAhhhhhhhhhh... topless.

Mike

·
Administrator
PEDIGREE SSR
8,664 Posts
Take Some Great scenic shots!

mikem-2005 said:
JAustin - Thanks we think she is beautiful too. The boards are Satin.

Thanks Marc - Debbie and I will really start enjoying the ride....... Arizona in the winter..... AAAAAhhhhhhhhhh... topless.

Mike
Hey Mike,

Quick get some high resolution shots for our 06 calendar and do it ASAP! ;)

·
Thank You To Our Troops
19,853 Posts
Gorgeous color!!! I am a red :ssr person (past 3 cars have been red) but I would definitely have considered that color had it been availalbe.

·
Boop Op A Doop
30,422 Posts
She's A Beauty

Mike she's a beauty :thumbs

I have to agree with Gina. I like my red SSR but I would have definely traded up for that beautiful blue.

Your one of the lucky ones as your dealings with GM truly gratified you. Although I'm sorry to hear about the paint issues on the black one. I hope for everyone that has had problems and issues with theirs comes out as great as it did for you!

You really had a team of workers helping you reslove this issue. It's so nice to hear someone having a great experience for a change.

Enjoy it! I'm sure you and Debbie will! Can't wait to see it on the calender!!

·
Registered
3,253 Posts
I love that Pacific Blue color and congratulations on the new SSR. Glad everything turned out for you. :thumbs

·
Supporting SSR Hobbyist
10,262 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Had General Motors not been so gracious with us, I would have already had mine repainted by now. Each case has a set of slightly unique circumstances and no single solution fits all cases....... I'm sure you will be thrilled with the repaint. Ken Thurm's ride is spectacular and no amount of factory painting can match that look.

My Best Regards,

Mike

·
OP
8,222 Posts
Fantastic!

Cool Mikem-2005 (or is it 2006 now?) :)
I'm glad that is put behind you, enjoy the blue ride...

·
Premium Member
2,320 Posts
New Blue

Mike,
Way nice! What a beautiful color. Shots with Papago Hills behind is just perfect.
Can't wait to see you in my rearview! :reddevil

·
Registered
4,222 Posts
Haste makes Waste . . . .

Followed a Pacific Blur down the 14 freeway from the desert around noon today. Beautiful ! !

Grabbed my camera took pics of the back and both sides as I worked my way around this beauty at 80-85 mph. Was sure they would be blurred . . . . . . well didn't have camera set on "take". It was still on "review" . . . . so didn't get anything. DRATS ! !

A major disappointment of my day. :mad

Gary (WearyEagle)

·
Registered
487 Posts
Mike
Yes this is a great forum.

I'm Glad that GM worked with you and got the problem resolved quickly. Until something changes to prove me wrong, I feel that GM is standing behind the SSR and recognizes the fact that us owners are SSR Fanatics and we are their largest Advertising Agency. Besides, when was the last time you heard of a Buick Rendezvous Home Coming.

Great Color....Great photos.... :thumbs

·
Supporting SSR Hobbyist
10,262 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Joe,

Do you realize that we have ~10% of the entire production as members of this forum? There is not another GM product with stats like that. Not even the Buick GSX has this tight of a group. GM should try to figure out how to leverage this................. If they can.

Regards,

Mike

·
I DO WINDOWS
8,833 Posts

Good for you. Eire … While working in the garage one night. I heard a winning from the shrubs out back. When I went to see what it was, I found a black Labrador. She had been hit and her hind leg was ripped open, with flies attracted to it. As I bent down to look closer she put a paw up. Just then ELVIS ON THE RADIO just started to sing “take my hand”. Tug, tug … My veterinarian and I split the cost to give her care. After she heeled, she left and I never saw her again.

·
Registered
4,175 Posts
Cool Blue :cool

Enjoy your new ride......:thumbs

RickSSR :cool

·
Registered
480 Posts
:seeya Mike,

She looks like a beauty and that was a nice post you wrote. It's great when things turn out the way they should and I am glad the forum was able to be of some help to you in this trying situation. That away guys and gals!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts